| FTBL What would you call?

OldPlayer

Alabama will be criticized for the final play call for the next several months. I’m sure we all have opinions on what the “right” play to call is/was. If you could turn back time, what would you do?

My “correct” call would have been the Tebow jump pass. Everyone knew that Milroe was going to get the call. Michigan’s defensive line had their way against Alabama’s OL all day. They were going to clog the middle and focus on Milroe. The Tebow jump pass would have taken advantage of Michigan’s strengths and Alabama’s tendencies.

I mentioned in the Good, Bad, & Ugly thread that I thought it was going to be a jump pass play. I'd have been fine with that, but I would have been ok with sweep to Law out of motion too at that point... I'd imagine they had something like that in the 2 point playbook, which is what they were likely going to be dealing out of. I'd love to know what they were going to run on the 1st play, before Michigan called timeout.

I know we keep talking about this play. But if the defense had just stopped them. Why they stopped playing good defense at that time will be a mystery to me?
This.... D played lights out in the 2nd half until they didn't.

With that said not sure there was an issue with the call. Milroe had successfully ran this play earlier right up the gut for like a 10-15 yard run. Patience as a runner could have helped if he read the blocking.

For an alternative call maybe a run off LT by the RB. #22 ran really well when he was in there as did #2.

I agree somewhat with mando. Except line up RB 22 in wildcat and run the same play following the pulling 77 around left side.
JM is fast but not near as quick as 22 and does not have the vision of RB.
Or another wrinkle. Instead of 22, put Storey in wildcat, with option to run following 77 around left side or pass to Niblack who lined up on left side with a pattern in the EZ. Any play called would most likely require a clean exchange from center to QB.

This.... D played lights out in the 2nd half until they didn't.

With that said not sure there was an issue with the call. Milroe had successfully ran this play earlier right up the gut for like a 10-15 yard run. Patience as a runner could have helped if he read the blocking.

For an alternative call maybe a run off LT by the RB. #22 ran really well when he was in there as did #2.
And milroe salted away uga game ...near same play...
Just didnt work...
Michigan was prepared....period

I said to ms50+ just before the snap..."milroe is gonna keep ball and try to power his way in the ez"

So if i thought...smarter football people who scouted bama for a month...ummmm

It looked to me like the play was designed to run left behind the pulling 77 from right to left, which was open. But the center rolled the ball once more to Milroe and he seemed to panic and ducked his head and went straight forward into a wall. No gain?

Back
Top Bottom