| RECRUIT ALABAMA'S 2020 Signing Class - Wednesday opens final signing days

Ronald Williams has committed to play for the Tide

3* CB Ronald Williams 6-2/188 Juco/LA hudl *

ELy3Fs2WkAEAacO

BREAKING: Alabama lands JUCO All-American (BamaOnLine)

9570031.jpg

Alabama dipped into the junior college ranks in landing its latest commitment. Hutchinson C.C. cornerback Ronald Williams announced his pledge to the Crimson Tide (via twitter) on Saturday night a few short days after meeting with Nick Saban and Karl Scott on Wednesday at his home in Louisiana, opting for UA over Auburn and Texas A&M, among a number of others.

Scott is the recruiter on record for the new UA pledge. Williams actually committed to Saban on Wednesday night. "I told him I was coming," Williams told BamaOnLine earlier this week. "He was happy about it."

What is Williams looking forward to most about getting to Tuscaloosa in a few weeks? "Them developing me," he said. "Them helping develop me into what I need to be."

The Ferriday, La. native picked up an offer from Alabama earlier this season in the midst of what was a strong sophomore campaign for the 6-foot-2, 188-pounder. Williams tallied 31 tackles and three interceptions on a defense that ranks in the top five among the NJCAA ranks in pass yards allowed per game (131.5). He officially visited Bama for the Western Carolina game.

"Coach Saban told me that this is a business decision for me because I don’t have any time to waste," Williams said of Saban's message on the visit. "The only reason for recruiting a JUCO guy is to come in and make an impact because he’s already experienced."

Williams is rated the No. 5 cornerback and the No. 14 junior college player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite JUCO rankings. Williams will sign with the program on Wednesday and enroll at Alabama in January with two years of eligibility remaining.

The Bayou State native is one of several defensive backs committed in the Tide's No. 2-ranked 2020 recruiting class. He joins four-star cornerback Jahquez Robinson, four-star safeties Malachi Moore and Brian Branch, and four-star athlete Kristian Story. Williams is commitment No. 25 for Alabama just days ahead of the Early Signing Period.

Stay tuned to BamaOnLine for more details on this breaking story.

Not that ‘stars’ matter, but most of the commitment stories I’ve read about him mention 4 ⭐️. I mean how can you be a JUCO All-American and only be 3 ⭐️?

(Are there still recruiting services/sites that will not rate JUCO signees any higher than 3 stars?)

Not that ‘stars’ matter, but most of the commitment stories I’ve read about him mention 4 ⭐. I mean how can you be a JUCO All-American and only be 3 ⭐?

(Are there still recruiting services/sites that will not rate JUCO signees any higher than 3 stars?)

I wonder that, too. I don't recall too many JUCOs getting a lot of stars. What kind of ranking did Williams have coming out of high school?

Five-star plans to sign early, announce later (BamaOnLine | segments)
9420998.jpg

Alabama TE target Darnell Washington wrapped up his fifth and final official visit this weekend to Tennessee, and now the focus turns to making a decision in the coming days. “That’s the plan — signing on Wednesday then the Under Armour Game announcing it,” the Las Vegas (Nev.) Desert Pines product told 247Sports’ Ryan Callahan following his official visit to UT.

“With my mom, I’m the last one so she’s really worried about am I going to be ok at this school, is everything good, so she don’t got to worry about me. With me, it’s about getting developed, get to the next level. This is by far the hardest decision of my life so far. I just don’t want to make any mistakes. I just need to sit down and talk about it, go over it with my mom, everybody."

5* OT Broderick Jones is not a lock to sign with UGA. AU has been all over him recently and he was in Tuscaloosa for an OV this weekend.

LINK
Broderick Jones: We reported earlier in the week that Auburn was hot after what some assume to be the nation's best offensive tackle in Jones. However, it's Alabama that gets Jones' final official visit of the season. The Bulldog Maven can confirm he is in Tuscaloosa today.

@EasyTider, @bama alum, 247 and ESPN have him as a three star. Rivals, a four star. His composite on 247 is a four star. I get their "structure" but without knowing how it's added together ... 🤷‍♂️ If you weren't aware ...

(247Sports Rankings) + (ESPN's ranking) + (Rivals rankings) / 3 (or whatever math they use) = 247 Composite's Rankings. It's likely spelled out more clearly on the 247 site.

One thing that may be of note here. Rivals just released new rankings within the last two weeks and there were changes up and down their board. I don't know when 247 or ESPN updates their rankings. There's a good chance neither of those two have updated their rankings since before the football season. We usually see at least three rankings per season, some services have four.

Another thing that has to be weighed in here is his progression. Matt mentioned his lack of offers earlier. He was a high school quarterback who walked on to a JUCO program and earned a scholarship where they thought he'd end up playing receiver. As you can see he ended up in the secondary. You combine all those little things together and you can see why he hasn't had a lot of exposure which is reflected in rankings. That may not be the case, but it's likely.

RB - Jase McClellan
Just my guess here ... nothing to back it up other than, I'm guessing.

When Tino sent that "tick tock" tweet out five or six days ago it seemed a lot took it to mean Cohen. I didn't. I think he was referring to McClellan.

Jase has been a "hot name" going on six months or so. I'm thinking it was two weeks ago when his high school coach was quoted saying he thought there may be a flip from OU to Bama here.

All of my indicators have been checked off. Visits over the summer, official and unofficial. A lot of contact throughout the fall and as those summer visits always confirm ... top target. I know people around the athletic complex are feeling pretty good about his potential.

Just my guess here ... nothing to back it up other than, I'm guessing.

When Tino sent that "tick tock" tweet out five or six days ago it seemed a lot took it to mean Cohen. I didn't. I think he was referring to McClellan.

Jase has been a "hot name" going on six months or so. I'm thinking it was two weeks ago when his high school coach was quoted saying he thought there may be a flip from OU to Bama here.

All of my indicators have been checked off. Visits over the summer, official and unofficial. A lot of contact throughout the fall and as those summer visits always confirm ... top target. I know people around the athletic complex are feeling pretty good about his potential.
One of the writers on the 247OU site told their members any worry they had was warranted. He told them wait until signing day and that's about all he could say

Back
Top Bottom