| RECRUIT ALABAMA'S 2020 Signing Class - Wednesday opens final signing days

Ask Farrell: Which program will have the strongest 2020 finish?

quote:
FARRELL'S TAKE

There are still a lot of interesting storylines heading into Signing Day. We ask Rivals National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell which team has the best chance to close the strongest with some of the prospects mentioned above?

“I think Alabama will have the strongest finish, although I still believe LSU or Clemson will finish with the No. 1 class in the Rivals.com Team Recruiting Rankings. Georgia will have a strong close as well, but I have the feeling Alabama will pull some surprises. It could be tight end Darnell Washington or flipping Rakim Jarrett or stealing Phillip Webb. I just don’t bet against Nick Saban. Oh, and watch out for Jordan Burch. He’s a wild card and Alabama is in there as well as anyone.”

3* CB Ronald Williams 6-2/188 Juco/LA hudl *

Might announce Bama commitment at any time.

CBd to UA by Hank & Tim after Saban's visit on Wed 12/11. Got 3 more UA CBs today from mods for others in the mix: Miss St, Kentucky and mod for the mid-south region. Bama's other top target at CB is Joshua Eaton.

Fact or Fiction: Michigan targets; Alabama's big week

quote:
2. Alabama will clean up this week.

Farrell’s take: FACT. Javion Cohen was just the start and I have a feeling Alabama will load up as we head to National Signing Day and pull some surprises. Nick Saban is still the best recruiter in college football and Bama is involved with a ton of key prospects, even a few committed to other schools. I guarantee they land either Darnell Washington (who isn't announcing until January), Jordan Burch or Rakim Jarrett. And many feel they trail for each. Watch out for Alabama this week.

Gorney’s take: FACT. I’m not betting against Alabama and I’m not betting against Saban, who’s out of the College Football Playoff for the first time and needs a positive spark heading into the offseason. Flipping Jarrett is a possibility. I like Alabama’s chances with linebacker Phillip Webb, possibly flipping running back Jase McClellan along with getting McKinnley Jackson and others. If Alabama gets Burch, I’d be surprised, but Saban is the master and betting against him is foolish.

Early Signing Period preview: Five questions from Florida

quote:
4. Can the Gators get their flip on?

Once committed to Miami, four-star defensive end Donell Harris is now pledged to Texas A&M. A third commitment could be on the horizon, however, as Florida has begun to push hard for his services down the stretch. Aggie fans hope that the strong bond Harris has with head coach Jimbo Fisher will be enough to hold off the Gators, but this has potential for drama come Wednesday. Even more important than Harris, however, is Timothy Smith, a Rivals100 Alabama commit that will visit Gainesville over the weekend before making his final decision. A four-star defensive tackle, Smith is the Gators’ No. 1 overall target. He’s been committed to Alabama since July.

5. Will Arian Smith really land at UGA?

Lakeland (Fla.) High School wideout Arian Smith is set to announce his choice in the early afternoon Wednesday, and Georgia seems to be the likely destination. Alabama fans hope an in-home visit with Nick Saban changed Smith’s mind, but the Bulldogs will be tough to beat here. It would take a sudden change of heart for the speedster’s recruitment to turn on its head at this late juncture, but it’s always unwise to count Saban out of these sort of battles

Ask Farrell: Who could become five-stars after all-star events?

“A few guys I will have my eye on are quarterback Harrison Bailey, linebacker Drew Sanders, wide receiver Gee Scott Jr., defensive tackle DeMonte Capeheart and some others. Those are the guys on the cusp, at least, but I’m also interested in Michael Mayer at tight end. He may be getting overlooked because of Arik Gilbert and Darnell Washington. However, there are always a few from far outside the five-star cusp who make it a tough decision every year, so guys like linebacker Phillip Webb, defensive end Desmond Evans, offensive tackle Tosh Baker and defensive tackle Gervon Dexter are a few I’m really interested in seeing.”

Steve Wiltfong : "After seeing both (AL & MS) teams practice, Cohen looks like the best OL prospect here, good feet, nice frame, still plenty of upside, but really controls the DL with his ability to move, drive them in the run game, etc."

Love the idea of McClellan and Washington on board...Farrell hates bama with a passion and it's gotta be killing him to have to say we re gonna close strong . fwiw on McClellan , Id rather have him than still be in the Zach Evans sweepstakes. McClellan is very good and plays high level comp. I think we'd have been in great shape with just Roydell Williams but fresh legs are always tough to defenses to handle. Would love Burch or Webb to help coming off edge also.

Top Performers: Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Week (247Sports | segments)
quote:
9566964.jpg

HATTIESBURG, MS -- Mississippi State quarterback commit Will Rogers returned in the fourth quarter from an injury sustained two quarters prior, and threw two touchdowns passes - one to tie the game with the clock running down in regulation and one in overtime - to lead Team Mississippi past Team Alabama 17-16 inside M.M. Roberts Stadium on the Southern Miss campus Saturday afternoon.

Rogers hit Trip Wilson (Ole Miss preferred walk-on) late in the fourth quarter on fourth down for six, and found future Bulldogs teammate Janari Dean for the game-winner in an exciting come-from-behind win for the home-state kids. He did it all while hobbling on an injured leg.

Nebraska quarterback commit Logan Smothers (playing with four cracked ribs himself) answered Rogers touchdown pass with one of his own in the overtime frame, but a blocked PAT by Tyrese Hopkins rushing off the edge was the game-winning play.

Team Alabama missed a fourth quarter field goal and had another one blocked by Mississippi State commit Jevon Banks, a crucial play that allowed the Rogers magic in the end.

Here, 247Sports presents this week's top performers for the 33rd annual Alabama-Mississippi All-Star event:

Alpha Dog

9564270.png

4-star DT McKinnley Jackson

During the week and the game nobody was more consistently dominant than Top247 DT McKinnley Jackson. The Lucedale (MS) George County disruptor was an impossible block in practice and that carried over to Saturday where he made a living in the backfield, typically beating offensive linemen with tremendous quickness and great pad level, but when necessary using his hands and strength to power his way where he wanted to go.

A high-motored player at the point of attack, the stock is up on the 6-foot-2, 327-pound, yet nimble Jackson who is considering Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss and Texas A&M and won’t decide until National Signing Day in February. He was a force against the run this week and he definitely brought a pass rush presence from the interior. He was used as an extra blocker on power run plays as well as Team Mississippi coaches were trying to get as much mileage as possible out

Next Five Standouts

The top offensive lineman this week was new Alabama commit Javion Cohen. A teammate of Williams at Phenix City (AL) Central, Cohen's foot and body quickness, length and strength were a problem for defensive linemen all week and in the game on Saturday. . .

Emptying the Notebook

Top247 athlete Kristian Story played running back this week and the Crimson Tide commit continues to show he is one of the more exciting players in the country with the ball in his hands. The Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Alabama has unique burst, good vision, change of direction quickness, loose hips, strength and speed. He's a load to get on the carpet too. Story may end up in the secondary at Alabama. . .

Oxford (MS) athlete Jeremiah Pegues is one of the more unique prospects in the country. Listed at 6-foot-3, 285-pounds in our database, he is certainly quick, light on his feet, has good body control. Pegues stretched the field as a vertical threat tight end during practice and also proved to be a reliable blocker. Pegues is soft-handed and when he’s carrying the football he’s a force. He could also be a terrific defensive lineman down the road.

There might not have been a player around the ball more all week than Alabama linebacker commit Jackson Bratton. . .

247Sports Coverage from the event also includes Top performers from Day 1 from Barton Simmons on Tuesday and Updates from the field on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom