| RECRUIT ALABAMA'S 2020 Signing Class - Wednesday opens final signing days

So, are y'all saying , if coach has 25 spots to fill his quota, then he can offer only 25 kids? All coaches make numerous offers over and above allowed slots for his team. We as fans do not know the full and accurate facts of either side of this situation, the coaches or the players. Recruiting high school players is complicated at best. My bet is, some kids simply do not understand the process and probably some parents don't either.

So, are y'all saying , if coach has 25 spots to fill his quota, then he can offer only 25 kids? All coaches make numerous offers over and above allowed slots for his team. We as fans do not know the full and accurate facts of either side of this situation, the coaches or the players. Recruiting high school players is complicated at best. My bet is, some kids simply do not understand the process and probably some parents don't either.

No, because you will not be 100% on your targets. You do though make it a first come first serve situation. You snooze you lose. Makes programs commit to a player and forces these kids to commit to a school. Want to wait around, take a chance on losing your spot, but I do not see why you offer and accept a commitment to only back off unless there are mitigating circumstances as I posted about before. Why offer if you wouldn't take them or lessen the deal you offered first?

Na - No one is saying that.

We are saying if you offer someone, and accept their commitment, try not to welch on the terms of the commitment that you originally offered and accepted.

I don't think that's asking too much, do you?

If the kid is lying or completely misunderstanding what happened then I'm with you... If he's not, then I suppose you'd understand, right?

@Tidestalker, I understand that recruiting is a hot mess for coaches, kids and their parents. Many kids are offered, many commit to uncomittable offers, kids can change their mind, kids can slack from sophmore to junior to senior year thinking the have arrived when they receive offers from a or many schools. Kids can change their mind and renig on their verbal at any time during their recruitment, even on signing day, which I am not telling you anything you don't already know. Yeah, I do understand that sometimes it seems that coaches are unfair to recruits and maybe they are. But also, sometimes recruits are unfair to the coaches. We as fans, as I stated in my last post, do not know all the facts about what goes on between recruiters and recruits. But the best coaches, recruiters, know that for the most part, they had better be on the up and up with recruits. They have reputations to uphold for themselves and the school they represent.

September of your senior year is not "plenty of time" in my mind to start over. What if he was an Early Enrollee? I go back to the article with Bryce Young's dad and what he had to say about recruiting. His parents were heavily involved and highly educated on the entire process, but not all parents are, most aren't. So imagine this kid gearing up for his last year to find out it's all changed. You're clearly looking at it with Crimson colored glasses and what's not best for the kids. Recruiting as a whole is out of line and changes need to be made.

Having listened to Saban speak many times on these issues and knowing his character over many years AND having been through the recruiting process and signing a NLI... I am more willing to believe Saban made the offer with conditions and stood by what they offered.

I also have no doubt the recruit had other visions and feels “played”.

in the end it’s up to the player and family to decide what is best. They should have alternate plans. He did and executed on those plans.

Let’s keep in mind Bama could have said we don’t have room and kicked him to the curb, but did offer him a way to be on the team at a later date. To be honest, that extra time could have benefited the kid too. If he came on board this year does he get buried in depth chart and get disgruntled moving to portal next year?

My final point is that we don’t have all the facts and never will. All we know is he feels slighted... just like about a ton of other kids do across the country in many programs. However feeling that way doesn’t make it reality.

Na, you're good. I'd just be interested to know what the line is in your book for the kid to be slighted in "reality"....

Like for instance - IF this was true, or even some of it, is that being slighted in reality?
I’m basing my view on comments Saban has made in the past and the character he has shown over years. The kid may have been screwed... we won’t and don’t know. My point is that just because his view is that he got played doesn’t mean that it is true. He could have a very different story than what really happened or maybe he’s 100% correct.

In the end it doesn’t matter. He had other opportunity and moved that direction. I truly hope it works out well for the kid. I’m sure he’ll receive excellent coaching and will be able to achieve his goals where he ended up.

My final point is that we don’t have all the facts and never will. All we know is he feels slighted... just like about a ton of other kids do across the country in many programs. However feeling that way doesn’t make it reality.

Exactly. I've also heard things about Saban that most Alabama fans won't believe happened, but they have. Words from actual recruits themselves. Nothing malicious or incriminating, nothing like that, just actions and words. So while I love Coach Saban and agree he does have higher morals than most, he isn't above anyone else looking for that edge to keep him on top. He's not a choir boy. You saying what I quoted above, but then speaking on behalf of Saban with simply your opinion go completely against your own point. You're believing Saban because of an opinion you have on Saban, but don't believe the recruit based on your opinion, yet trying to plead the case as if one side is fact and the other side may be fact, but probably not.

You're believing Saban because of an opinion you have on Saban, but don't believe the recruit based on your opinion, yet trying to plead the case as if one side is fact and the other side may be fact, but probably not.
I believe I’ve said we’ll never know the truth and the kid may be 100% correct; however, picking sides I choose to believe Saban and staff did it correctly. Of course that’s an opinion. I’m not directly involved to have anything but an opinion. It’s also fine to have a different opinion too... I was just stating reason why I have my opinion.

Two sides to every story and we will never know the details of both. Could the Jones kid have misunderstood the "blueshirt" rules, possibly. Thing is, the kid did have enough time to "land elsewhere" and it ended up being a pretty damn good place for him. The recruiting game isn't all balloons and party favors. Tough decisions have to be made on both sides.
Hell! Coach Moore called me in his office after Spring practice one year and told me that I wasn't to report back until classes started. I wasn't to be in workouts or meetings. I found out later, that the NCAA had instated the rule only allowing so many in preseason practice, but Coach Moore didn't know how to explain that to me and I left that meeting a pissed off person.

Back
Top Bottom