| RECRUIT ALABAMA'S 2020 Signing Class - Wednesday opens final signing days

Meet fast-rising 3-star Texas DB who has Alabama offer (AL.com)
quote:
5NCZW2YQ6RHFJN6E5VMEY3QQTM.jpg

Duncanville (Texas) cornerback Ennis Rakestraw shared this photo of himself with Nick Saban on Twitter on Jan. 20.

Alabama showed no interest in Rakeshaw before Early Signing Day, he said, but he’s emerged as a fast riser for Power 5 schools and now holds offers from Alabama, Texas, Baylor, Georgia, Missouri and Ole Miss. . .

Texas DB says Saban visit was 'unbelievable' (BamaOnLine | segment)
quote:
9619289.jpg

Alabama head football coach Nick Saban stopped off in Duncanville, Texas on Monday evening to visit with newly-offered cornerback Ennis Rakestraw. “It was amazing,” Rakestraw said of hosting Saban and Alabama assistant Jeff Banks. “It was unbelievable.”

“He was just telling me how he liked how I played,” Rakestraw said of his hour-long conversation with Saban. “He likes that I play with a lot of physicality, how everybody in the DFW was speaking highly of me, expectations, the academic environment, the football program, it was just a nice little vibe.”

Rakestraw is one of the hottest names on the recruiting circuit since the Early Signing Period, with a number of Power Five programs working to add him to their class on National Signing Day. The Tide joined the mix early on in January.

Last weekend Rakestraw took an official visit to Missouri. Next weekend (Jan. 31-Feb 2) he’ll be at Georgia for his final trip. That leaves him with a potential mid-week visit. “I think I’m going with Texas,” Rakestraw said of his fifth and final visit, adding no date is set just yet.

This weekend Rakestraw, joined by his mom and stepfather, will make his way out to Tuscaloosa for an official visit. “Just getting around the whole coaching staff and the players,” he said of what he’s looking forward to when he arrives on Friday.

As mentioned above, there’s been no shortage of interest in recent weeks. Later this week alone, Rakestraw is hosting Kansas, Texas, Georgia, and Ole Miss on in-home visits. The Tide staff has been one of the most consistent in terms of communication. “I talk to Coach Banks a lot,” Rakestraw said. “Coach (Karl) Scott, he talked to me today as well.”

What’s different about Alabama’s recruiting pitch compared to the other programs coming after the rising DB? “It’s coming from the headman himself, Coach Saban,” Rakestraw said. “He’s basically telling me I have NFL talent and that I’m a good fit. It’s pretty cool.”

When the Tide offered, Rakestraw said the program was his dream school growing up and that UA had the edge in his recruitment, adding he could opt to make a commitment at any point, not necessarily wait until National Signing Day.

Alabama signee earns 5th star from national recruiting service (AL.com)
quote:
IHIJMP5ER5EJRIGOJIXRZBBJYI.JPG

Dutchtown (Ga.) defensive end Will Anderson put together a strong senior season, tallying 22 sacks before showcasing elite pass rushing skills at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

National recruiting analysts took notice. Anderson is one of four new 5-star players, according to the new Class of 2020 national recruiting rankings released by Rivals today. . .

Big time @T&B! Thanks for the articles

Damn, 3 OLB's in the top 60. Love that direction because of the importance of getting to the QB in 2020 & beyond.

If McKinley Jackson jumps on board along with Tim Smith, that would be the icing on the cake for a great class. And it's not all about Defense either... Signed 2 amazing RB's and an elite QB. A couple solid WR prospects also. Exciting stuff

Final 247 Rankings for the Class of 2020 will be released next Tuesday 1/28:

Breaking down the biggest debates ahead of 2020’s final Top247
quote:
Here's a bit of news for you: The final Top247 for the class of 2020 will be released Tuesday, Jan. 28, closing a process that has been literally years in the making. The five-man 247Sports Rankings Council (myself, Greg Biggins, Brandon Huffman, Charles Power, Steve Wiltfong) has held multi-hour, twice-weekly (or more) conference calls in the last month as we close in on slotting these players for a final time and choosing the 32 five-stars. For an exhaustive explanation of how the rankings process works, read this.

As the Jan. 28 release date approaches, a few hot topics of conversation have crystallized: The always-compelling race for No. 1 is a tough one this year. Just like it is with the NFL Draft, the whole dilemma of positional value has reared its head early in the rankings: Badass wide receiver or, like, five prototype defensive linemen? And then there are the ones we realize can be thornier ... what to do with a talented player who has documented off-the-field issues? What to do with a player who we believe is playing out of position?

In an effort to give our audience a better idea of how these calls and deliberations work, we've recorded the audio and chopped some of those discussion points into a 30-minute podcast file (the embed is below, and you can subscribe to the recruiting podcast, 'The Biggins & Power Hour,' here). Stay tuned for more info on Tuesday's rankings release, including a live show counting down the five-stars from 32 to 1 and a jam-packed podcast in which the rankings council runs down our final decisions.

quote:
THE RACE FOR NO. 1

Here’s a spoiler: the No. 1 player in the 247Sports rankings next week will be either Bryan Bresee, DJ Uiagalelei or Bryce Young. Those three have separated from the herd. But if anything, that just makes our decision for the No. 1 spot that much tougher.

The first decision we had to make was just how good do we think Bresee is? Is he generational on the level of Myles Garrett or Jadeveon Clowney – the only two No. 1 prospects at 247Sports to get selected No. 1 in the NFL Draft? Is he a step above the two quarterbacks from a talent and upside standpoint? There’s certainly a case for it. The Clemson signee is around 300 pounds with edge pass-rush athleticism, runs a 4.8 40 yard dash, is a maniacal competitor and can play everywhere on the line of scrimmage. Guys like this only come around once every few years.

There’s also a case to be made that as good as Bresee is, the quarterbacks are just as good. We haven’t seen an arm like the one Uiagalelei possesses in a long time – maybe ever. The same can be said for the pocket presence and instincts that Young puts on tape. The two of them are as productive and accomplished as you could ever ask for. So, if it’s close, don’t you have to go with a quarterback? And if you do go with a quarterback, which one do you even choose?

Coach Saban was in Roanoke yesterday visiting Handly High School. So can anyone here tell me who he was seeing? Before anyone tell me I should, well I don't.

Alabama the top school for Texas DB after official visit (BamaOnLine | segments)
quote:
9626079.jpg

Ennis Rakestraw with his family during his official visit to Alabama.

Alabama hosted rising 2020 cornerback Ennis Rakestraw on his official visit this weekend, the Duncanville (TX) product’s first trip to UA. “It was a dream come true.” After UA offered earlier this month, Rakestraw said the Tide had the edge in his recruitment. Coming off the visit? “Still got it.” Is Alabama the Texas DB’s top school? “Yes sir.” The 6-foot-1, 170-pounder will officially visit Texas next weekend before announcing his decision on Feb. 5.

Bama leaves big impression on grad transfer TE (BamaOnLine | segments)
quote:
7653838.jpg

Alabama hosted North Carolina grad transfer tight end Carl Tucker this weekend on an unofficial visit. “It was a great visit. Definitely cleared up everything that I was thinking about. I had a lot of fun. I love the coaches, great atmosphere.”

The Tar Heel State native says the Tide offered him a spot prior to taking the trip. “The biggest thing was how I would be used in the offense, what my role would be,” he said of what questions he had for the coaches. “Alabama has great players, and they see something in me to contribute to that offense, which is really cool.”

Meeting Nick Saban was a special moment for the veteran tight end. “It’s Coach Saban. He’s a great guy. He’s pretty funny. He was really cool to talk to. It was awesome to be able to meet him in person and shake his hand.”

Tucker also hit it off with special teams and tight ends coach Jeff Banks. “He’s awesome. That guy is hilarious. He’s got a lot of energy, easy to talk to, great guy. I enjoyed being around him.”

The Tide left a strong impression. “They’re a top school for me, definitely,” Tucker said. “They showed me a lot and they showed me what they can do for me. They explained that everything I’m looking for is right here. I like them a lot.”

Why could Tucker see himself rolling with the Tide? “Really I got one year left. I feel like Alabama could be a place that would make sense, a place where all they do is produce, and at the same time win while doing it.”

Last weekend Florida State hosted Tucker and he has set no other visit plans. As for a decision timeline? “Sometime before summer,” Tucker replied. “It’ll probably be a little bit earlier than before the summer with a lot of my questions being answered.”

George feels at home during Alabama OV (BamaOnLine | segments)
quote:
9626212.jpg

Alabama commit Damieon George made his way back to Tuscaloosa this weekend for the final visit of his recruitment. It was the Houston (Texas) North Shore product's first trip back to campus since an unofficial visit for the Tennessee game last fall. "It felt like home. Everybody treated me good and my family had a good time."

The longtime UA pledge was joined by his mother and sister, all of which spent time with head coach Nick Saban. "The program and development," George said of what the Tide head man spoke about throughout the stay. Asked about the key to his recruitment and deciding factor? "Winning mama over." Has the Crimson Tide done that? "Yes, sir."

The Texas O-lineman looked back on his decision to join Alabama and why he's stayed strong in his commitment. "Structure of the program. It’s just like North Shore." As for next weekend, the last before National Signing Day, George says he has no trips planned.

Predictions for the nation's 10 best available recruits - By STEVE WILTFONG

quote:
4-STAR DE ALFRED COLLINS (NO. 64 OVERALL)

THE PICK: Texas

This is the best I’ve felt about Texas regarding Top247 defensive end Alfred Collins in a long time. The Longhorns legacy, who plays nearby at Bastrop (Texas) Cedar Creek sees a fit for himself in new defensive coordinator Chris Ash’s scheme and has always valued what being an alum of Texas would mean for him down the road. Oklahoma is still the biggest challenger and the dialogue remains strong there as well. The Sooners may have led at different points this fall. Collins is the No. 2 strong-side defensive end in the 247Sports Composite and No. 64 prospect overall. Alabama, Baylor and Texas A&M round out Collins top five.

quote:
4-STAR DT MCKINNLEY JACKSON (NO. 94 OVERALL)

THE PICK: Still torn between Alabama and Texas A&M

Alabama and Texas A&M appear to be in the best position for Top247 defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson, who also includes Auburn and LSU in his final four. Jackson returned to Tuscaloosa two weekends ago after taking his official in the fall and the Aggies get the last official visit this coming weekend. And while the 247Sports Crystal Ball is trending towards the Tide, with the recent hire of new defensive line coach Freddie Roach another factor helping the SEC power, I’ve had a couple sources say they thought Texas A&M may actually lead. Jackson, out of George County High in Lucedale, Miss., is the No. 10 defensive tackle in America and No. 94 prospect overall.

Alabama in good shape to land grad transfer tight end (AL.com)
quote:
BYCDWS7G4NDFFHFEEZ6GMEJAZE.jpg

Alabama may be close to adding a veteran player to its tight end room. The Crimson Tide hosted North Carolina graduate transfer Carl Tucker on a visit this past weekend and seems to be the current favorite to land the 2018 Pro Football Focus All-ACC selection.

The visit was awesome,” said Tucker’s father, Carl Tucker Sr. “Obviously the stature of Alabama football is so huge that we really didn’t know what to expect, but we knew it would be something that we hadn’t seen before. … But it was really good. They really wanted to figure out what questions and concerns we had for Alabama. And they did a really good job of explaining why they wanted Carl, what they saw in Carl and where they felt he would be able to help Bama.”

Alabama has been interested in adding a grad transfer tight end and Tucker is one of the top options available. The 6-foot-2, 250-pound North Carolina native started 20 career games at North Carolina, including four this year. While the Tar Heels’ top three tight ends combined for just 17 total catches this year in the team’s new Air Raid offense, Tucker had 16 catches for 265 yards and two touchdowns in 2018.

Tucker entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal in late December. While schools such as Florida State, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Washington and Missouri have all been in contact, Florida State and Alabama are the only two schools Tucker has visited thus far. It’s unclear at this point if he’ll take any other visits.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Tennessee or Missouri wants him to visit, but I just don’t know at this point if Carl is going to take anything,” Tucker’s dad said. “I know this week he’s not. Possibly the following week. But then again, I don’t know. He had a really good visit at Alabama. Let’s just say that. He could see himself playing at Alabama. Alabama really filled all of the blanks where Carl was and with his concerns.”

During the visit, Tucker and his family reconnected with an Alabama staffer they’ve known for a while. Tide analyst Butch Jones recruited Tucker back when he was the head coach at Tennessee. And the family talked to Jones during the visit to Tuscaloosa about — five years later — possibly now getting a chance to be part of the same program.

“There’s definitely a relationship there and when we got there, the first person I wanted to see was Coach Jones,” Carl Tucker Sr. said. “It was really good to see him. We had several conversations during the weekend about how this could be full circle. I think Carl would have probably gone to Tennessee if he hadn’t gone to Carolina. So we felt that it was full circle that Coach Jones was there and he had something to do with bringing Carl into the conversation of going to Alabama.”

Three-Point Stance: Rankings, top returning QBs

quote:
1. RANDOM RANKINGS THOUGHTS AS NSD NEARS

quote:
... Alabama is oddly being overlooked on the defensive side of the ball for what the Crimson Tide have landed in 2020. There are some potential freaks, and I mean freaks, on that side of the ball for Nick Saban. We all know how much I love defensive tackle Timothy Smith, but linebacker Drew Sanders was also very close to five-star status as well. Pair Sanders with Chris Braswell, Demouy Kennedy and William Anderson as the hybrid guy and you have a wrecking crew up front for ‘Bama.

2. PROSPECTS THAT COULD MAKE US LOOK BAD

quote:
RB Jase McClellan – I like McClellan a lot and it didn’t matter whether he went to Oklahoma or Alabama, he was destined to be an elite player in my book. He has OK size but what makes him special is his ability to work off contact in traffic and also make people miss in space. He should have a very good career at Alabama, even if he has to wait his turn.

NSD 2020: Biggest questions for each SEC team

quote:
ALABAMA: Who can ‘Bama close with on the defensive line?

There is still a major need in this recruiting class for Alabama, and it is on the defensive line. The Crimson Tide signed four defensive linemen in the Early Signing Period, but there is still some work to be done. Alabama has been trending late for Rivals100 defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson, and they are right in the thick of it for strongside end Alfred Collins. LSU and Texas A&M among others are the competition for Jackson, while it is Oklahoma and Texas for Collins.

quote:
TEXAS A&M: Can Jimbo beat Nick Saban for McKinnley

During their years going head-to-head for recruits, Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher have each had their share of victories. And with both in the same division in the SEC, there have been quite a few battles over the past two years.

This year, it’s the Aggies and the Tide going head-to-head for McKinnley Jackson. The big-time defensive lineman is giving both schools, along with LSU, a long look and with both coaches pulling out all the stops down the stretch, it will be fun to watch how it plays out. Obviously both schools could use a player of his talent, but he would fit very nicely into the middle of the Aggies defense.

Ask Farrell: Which Rivals100 prospects are undervalued?

quote:
The 2020 prospect rankings are finished. They’re locked. There are no more changes to make, no more offseasons to change things up, no more film, no more all-star events. For all eternity, this is how the 2020 class will be represented.

And there were a lot of prospects who were right around five-star status who did not make it to that highest of ranking.

Right outside the five-star ranking was LSU wide receiver signee Kayshon Boutte, followed by Notre Dame tight end signee Michael Mayer, Alabama linebacker signee Drew Sanders, Clemson offensive line signee Walker Parks and LSU linebacker signee Antoine Sampah.

Next up in the rankings is the first uncommitted prospect in four-star safety Avantae Williams, who had been committed to Oregon for months but is now serious about Florida, Miami and others.

Others high in the rankings include Texas A&M signee Antonio Johnson, who had a phenomenal week at the All-American Bowl, Alabama signee Timothy Smith, who has been dominant at numerous events and has great film, Ohio State signee Cody Simon, who made no mistakes all week at the All-American Bowl and Florida State signee Demorie Tate, who shined at the Under Armour game.

Someone who lost his fifth-star after an uneven performance at the Under Armour game is Auburn running back signee Cartavious Bigsby, who now lands at No. 45 overall.

Those are the first players outside of five-star status but there are many others throughout the Rivals100 who could have made an argument for a significant move up, or players who will definitely outplay their ranking in college.

And that’s how we get to the Ask Farrell for today.

We ask Rivals National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell to name a few prospects in the Rivals100 if he was completely in charge of rankings he would have moved up even higher because he has the belief they’re in for a big college career and could end up being first-round NFL Draft picks.

FARRELL'S TAKE

Timothy Smith leads the way for me as he’s a special talent and will be unstoppable at the next level and beyond. Defensive tackles who can move and get after the passer as well as be stout against the run aren’t easy to find and Smith is rare in this class. He’s up there with Bryan Bresee, Justin Rogers and others.

Boutte is a guy who could really make us look wrong as well as I have a feeling he will play like a five-star. Mayer and Parks are a couple others to keep an eye on.

This class has a lot of talent at certain positions and some of the decisions were very hard ones.

2020 Recruits Most Likely to Light Up College Football as True Freshmen

quote:
Bryce Young, Alabama Quarterback

Speaking of gambles, perhaps the biggest one on this list is Alabama quarterback Bryce Young.

That has nothing to do with the Mater Dei High School superstar's ability. Though he's just 5'11", 183 pounds, he has elite traits and could be the next Russell Wilson. He isn't quite as mobile as a Kyler Murray, but he can do anything with a football.

It's risky to place him here because he plays for one of the nation's elite programs—and it's getting back a perfectly capable quarterback in Mac Jones, who more than held his own while filling in for an injured Tua Tagovailoa (hip) in 2019.

If you're not that enamored with Jones, there's also the younger Tagovailoa, Taulia, who will be a sophomore and has a ton of ability.

But Young is a next-level athlete.

He was the MVP of the All-American Bowl and is 2020's top-ranked dual-threat QB. Virtually everybody wanted him, and the California recruit didn't travel across the country to watch from the sideline. This is a confident, talented playmaker who can seize the job.

Before you perhaps pigeonhole Nick Saban as being an old-school coach who prefers playing upperclassmen, remember that talent knows no age in Tuscaloosa.

Saban played Jalen Hurts as a true freshman when he was the best option, and he pulled Hurts for true freshman Tua Tagovailoa in the second half of an eventual national championship.

Saban plays the best, and it's difficult to envision an elite, electric player like Young won't be the best option in the first half of the season. Once he gets into the starting lineup, he'll never look back.

With signing day less than a week away, anyone want to guess on how we close? Of those on the commit list, George is the only "sure" thing signee. Jones is likely going elsewhere, Oregon or Ga Tech and both Baker and Burroughs both have some class work to get squared away. We are hot after 4* DT McKinley Jackson and 3* DB Ennis Rakestraw and are considered by some to be the favorites. I'm guessing that 1 of the 2 with grade issues will make it and we get Jackson and Rakestraw to finish.

Back
Top Bottom