| FTBL Alabama hires Kalen DeBoer as its next football coach.

Who do you think should be Bama's next HC?

• Lanning

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Kiffin

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Sark

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Smart

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Belichick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demeco Ryans

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Someone Else??

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Around 10 CT this morning there was a text circulating around Tuscaloosa saying basically, "hand tight, it's about to break." A friend of mine mentioned he'd seen Rodney mention it on his forum.

FWIW, Washington reporters are saying UW started their coaching search two days ago.

Supposedly by last night all was agreed to and this morning was the finalization process. If tomorrow was a weekday, it would a press conference close to the 72 hour mark.

I don't disagree other than I'd still take him back, LOL. But, without knowing too many specifics here, some of these kids, just like in recruiting, get bad advice from people they have too much trust in... especially when money is involved (as you know).
Depends on his motivators I guess.

Personally his NIL $ is his biggest motivator right now and Texas is going to drop a truck load for him. I think he's gone either way now, but if he's looking for a place he can shine and star...this is definitely the best place for that. The offensive changes alone will offer him a great opportunity to showcase his talents and Deboer just dropped a couple receivers that could be first round talents.

Bring in Shepard and "let him cook" as the young kids say these days.

My biggest concern with this is the fact that he has no connections or experience in this area of the country at all. I have a feeling he's going to get eaten alive in recruiting.

It's a concern, but any hire was going to have at least some concern (IMO). But I think he'll adjust fine. So much of recruiting now is NIL driven, not like it was even 3 or 4 years ago. Plus, his personality will be a good fit to make inroads and develop relationships quickly. Lastly, he's still got Saban to guide him through some of that stuff if he chooses to lean on him, which there is nothing wrong with.

It's a concern, but any hire was going to have at least some concern (IMO). But I think he'll adjust fine. So much of recruiting now is NIL driven, not like it was even 3 or 4 years ago. Plus, his personality will be a good fit to make inroads and develop relationships quickly. Lastly, he's still got Saban to guide him through some of that stuff if he chooses to lean on him, which there is nothing wrong with.
Also, so much of recruiting is done by the assistants now a days that Head Coach really isn't the big closer they used to be anymore. I'd argue head coach works more in re-recruiting the roster than he does working on the high school level. I know Saban still did in-home visits and I'm sure DeBoer will also but all those visits usually happen after an assistant has already built the relationship up.

My biggest concern with this is the fact that he has no connections or experience in this area of the country at all. I have a feeling he's going to get eaten alive in recruiting.

I believe he will hire some coaches that know the SEC landscape until he can build relationships of his own.

I.E. Nate Oates

This is from ESPN

Why did Alabama choose DeBoer?

Over and above everything else, Alabama wanted a proven winner, and DeBoer has won everywhere he has been. He has won 11 or more games in seven of his nine seasons as a head coach. He took Washington to a Pac-12 championship and the College Football Playoff National Championship game in his second season at UDub.

Two of the other guys mentioned prominently in the Alabama coaching search, Dan Lanning and Steve Sarkisian, were a combined 0-5 against DeBoer over the past two seasons. DeBoer's offenses were electric. The Huskies ranked 13th nationally in scoring this season and sixth in 2022. They averaged at least 36 points per game in both seasons, and look at the way quarterback Michael Penix Jr. blossomed under DeBoer at Washington.

It was important for Alabama to get someone with vast head-coaching experience. DeBoer has been a head coach in the Pac-12, at Fresno State and in the Division II ranks with Sioux Falls. -- Chris Low

Back
Top Bottom