| FTBL Alabama hires Kalen DeBoer as its next football coach.

Who do you think should be Bama's next HC?

• Lanning

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Kiffin

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Sark

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Smart

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Belichick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demeco Ryans

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Someone Else??

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Couple of quick notes on Kalen DeBoer...

His RB coach Lee Marks... Was told earlier this week (before Saban retired) by a family member that the best presentation he's ever seen at an AFCA convention was done by Marks. And that's out of 100's of presentations including many by major HC's. He talked about how impressive he was and felt he was a future star as a head coach down the road.

His WR coach JaMarcus Shephard... This guy was in the mix to be hired by Saban as the new WR coach to replace Wiggins. That alone should give you a good idea of his abilities.

His OL coach Scott Huff... Another well respected coach. His guys won the Joe Moore Award this past season. Not sure he's better than Wolford, but you don't win that award (voted on by former OL players, not limp wristed journalists) without having a good grasp of what you're doing.

His offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb... Again, Saban wanted him. Last year, Saban interviewed him but Bama ended up with Rees. Grubb has been at DeBoer's side since 2007. He's expected to stay there and follow DeBoar to Tuscaloosa. IMO, he will be a top 3 SEC OC.

I want to wait and see what transpires with the defensive staff. I think we will see a mixture of the old staff and his guys. Maybe a guy like Joe Cox gets retained too. There will be decisions to make with support staff too, but I'm not concerned with those.

On DeBoer... He's a game planner on the level of Sark, but unlike Sark, he's more genuine and has been a winner at every stop. He's an X's & O's schemer on the level of Kiffin, but unlike Kiffin, he's not a petulant child and he actually shows up and wins big games. He exploits and attacks weaknesses. He motivates. His players love him. The media will love him (in terms of access). I think the fans will love him (obviously winning is important). There's going to be a learning curve, but he's lucky to have a great support system around him to help with the adjustment to both Alabama and the SEC. And to be able to pick up the phone and bounce ideas or questions off Nick Saban? There's not a coach out there worth a damn who doesn't wish he had that direct line. Hell, Saban's old assisistas still call on him for advice and guidance, why would DeBoer? If it was me? He'd have open access to film review like Saban gave Mal Moore on Sunday mornings. He'd be a presence in on campus recruiting, in camps, etc. Saban isn't going to be around 24/7, but as long as he's willing to be around some, I'd use it to my advantage. But, DeBoer ultimately has to do what he feels comfortable with.

And while none of the above guarantees success for him at Alabama, I think there's a few good data points in his favor... and there's reason to be really optimistic and happy with this hire.

My biggest concern with this is the fact that he has no connections or experience in this area of the country at all. I have a feeling he's going to get eaten alive in recruiting.
The Washington roster is heavy in California and Washington players, but five from TX and one each from MS/FL/LA. He has a guy from Germany, perhaps we'll keep the international flavor going.

His RB coach Lee Marks... Was told earlier this week (before Saban retired) by a family member that the best presentation he's ever seen at an AFCA convention was done by Marks. And that's out of 100's of presentations including many by major HC's. He talked about how impressive he was and felt he was a future star as a head coach down the road.

His WR coach JaMarcus Shephard... This guy was in the mix to be hired by Saban as the new WR coach to replace Wiggins. That alone should give you a good idea of his abilities.

His OL coach Scott Huff... Another well respected coach. His guys won the Joe Moore Award this past season. Not sure he's better than Wolford, but you don't win that award (voted on by former OL players, not limp wristed journalists) without having a good grasp of what you're doing.

His offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb... Again, Saban wanted him. Last year, Saban interviewed him but Bama ended up with Rees. Grubb has been at DeBoer's side since 2007. He's expected to stay there and follow DeBoar to Tuscaloosa. IMO, he will be a top 3 SEC OC.

I want to wait and see what transpires with the defensive staff. I think we will see a mixture of the old staff and his guys. Maybe a guy like Joe Cox gets retained too. There will be decisions to make with support staff too, but I'm not concerned with those.

On DeBoer... He's a game planner on the level of Sark, but unlike Sark, he's more genuine and has been a winner at every stop. He's an X's & O's schemer on the level of Kiffin, but unlike Kiffin, he's not a petulant child and he actually shows up and wins big games. He exploits and attacks weaknesses. He motivates. His players love him. The media will love him (in terms of access). I think the fans will love him (obviously winning is important). There's going to be a learning curve, but he's lucky to have a great support system around him to help with the adjustment to both Alabama and the SEC. And to be able to pick up the phone and bounce ideas or questions off Nick Saban? There's not a coach out there worth a damn who doesn't wish he had that direct line. Hell, Saban's old assisistas still call on him for advice and guidance, why would DeBoer? If it was me? He'd have open access to film review like Saban gave Mal Moore on Sunday mornings. He'd be a presence in on campus recruiting, in camps, etc. Saban isn't going to be around 24/7, but as long as he's willing to be around some, I'd use it to my advantage. But, DeBoer ultimately has to do what he feels comfortable with.

And while none of the above guarantees success for him at Alabama, I think there's a few good data points in his favor... and there's reason to be really optimistic and happy with this hire.
Excellent write up. I am good with it.

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom