| MBB/WBB šŸ€ Alabama Grinds Out a 79-69 Victory at LSU

Griffen, Quinerly and Burnette are three guys that are turning it around. I was excited to get Burnette back because he brought experience with tough nose defense but he is playing well on the offense the last couple of games.

Griffen has become an offensive weapon and Quinerly we know what potential he brings. Quinerly getting turnovers under control has been huge.

Bradley has played well for a freshman and he has given Quinerly time to get his legs back under him but his offensive game needs some work.

About to hit probably the toughest stretch in SEC play with UF at home, then the Barn and Viles on the road. It is going to be hard to sweep that but if they do they will create seperation for the SEC regular season title.

Roll Tide gentlemen...

BATON ROUGE, La. ā€“ The No. 4/5 Alabama men's basketball team defeated LSU, 79-69, Saturday night in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center. Five Crimson Tide players scored in double figures to help UA improve to 20-3 on the season and remain perfect in Southeastern Conference play (10-0).

Freshman star Brandon Miller fought foul trouble most of the night but managed to earn his fifth double-double of the year with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Noah Clowney and Rylan Griffen led the Tide with 14 points apiece, while Mark Sears and Nimari Burnett both finished with 13.

Despite leading for nearly 35 minutes of the contest, Alabama could never pull away from LSU. The Tigers were able to cut the Tide's lead down to a single basket on three occasions in the second half but failed to get any closer.

With the win, Alabama completed the season sweep of LSU and won for the fifth time in the last six games against the Tigers. LSU (12-11, 1-9) was led by Derek Fountain's game-high 26 points in the losing effort.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"It was definitely not one of our better wins, but sometimes when you compete for a league championship you go on the road and win games that are not pretty and are ugly. I thought we had some guys step up; that is back-to-back games that Nimari (Burnett) has played really well for us and Rylan (Griffen) shot the ball really well tonight so it was good to see some guys step up. I think JQ (Jahvon Quinerly) created some really good offense for us in the second half and I thought our defense was nowhere close where we'd like it to be but I thought late in the game we got some stops when we needed to."

TEAM STATS​

• Alabama is 10-0 in conference play for the second time in the past three seasons and third time in program history
  • As a team, Alabama had 19 assists on 26 made baskets led by Jahvon Quinerly's six helpers
  • The Tide finished hitting 14-15 foul shots (93 percent) compared to the Tigers who shot 24-31 from the charity stripe
  • LSU outrebounded Alabama, 40-35, marking just the fifth time this season that UA has lost the battle of the boards

FIRST HALF​

• Nimari Burnett led Alabama with 13 points in the first half along with three rebounds and three assists
  • With the score tied at 11-all, UA scored eight straight points, including five from Burnett, to take a 19-11 edge
  • Alabama would go on to lead by seven, 44-37, at intermission
  • Alabama outscored LSU 18-12 inside the paint, including five dunks from the Tide
  • Alabama's bench scored 20 points in the opening stanza
  • The Tide shot 46 percent from three-point range with Burnett making a team-high three
  • The Tide's starting frontcourt of Noah Clowney (9 points) and Charles Bediako (8 points) combined to shoot 8-10 from the field for 17 points

SECOND HALF​

• Alabama led the entire second half and was able to take a double-digit lead on four separate occasions
  • LSU continued to chip away at UA's lead and with 13:09 left in the game the Tigers trailed by just two points (56-54)
  • The Tide responded with 19 points in a five-and-a-half-minute span, as Rylan Griffen and Mark Sears each made a pair of three-pointers, getting UA's lead back to double-digits (75-63) with 7:20 left
  • The Crimson Tide missed its final 10 shots from the field but limited the Tigers to one made field goal in their last 10 shots from the field
  • Sears finished with 11 points in the final stanza while Griffen scored nine

A big positive is Quinerly is playing like he did in 2020-2021. He had six assist yesterday. The no-look pass to Clowney as he was pushing the ball upcourt was sick. Scoring wise, I doubt he'll ever get back to the level he was two seasons ago. But if he understands his role as a facilitator, we've got the depth for him to break down the defense and find open shooters.

Clowney is out of his shooting slump. I actually think he's been our most consistent player despite not being able to make shots from 3 earlier. He brings it every game defensively (much better than Bediako recently) and has improved his inside game.

Our ball movement is getting better and better every game. Single digit turnovers again. Our chemistry so fun to watch. It'll be wild to see this team's potential in March

Overall, I was very happy to get the win. On defense, I think we lacked the intensity that is needed to beat really good teams. The main thing is get a little better each game by learning from your mistakes.

You would think at least 4 in the top 25.
Yep, I suspect UK will at least get back in as they have been playing better and with their blue blood name they will get votes. I guess the Barn has a chance also but lets postpone that until after we beat them this Saturday :). But Florida first.....

Back
Top Bottom