| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Oklahoma’s Hot-Shooting Snaps Alabama’s Win Streak at Nine Games in 93-69 Loss

This shit looked like something out of the David Hobbs era when we suffered our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd worse losses in program history. Just inexcusable losing to an Oklahoma team that is 2-6 in the Big 12 and 11-9 overall

2911ccac7ddde3225257dbbe1017911b.jpg

NORMAN, Okla. – No. 2/2 Alabama men's basketball saw its nine-game winning streak come to an end Saturday afternoon against Oklahoma, falling 93-69 at the Llyod Noble Center in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge.

The Sooners took control of the contest early in the first half and didn't let up, scoring on 13 of their final 14 possessions of the half to take a 50-33 lead into the locker room. Oklahoma (12-9) shot a scorching 68 percent (19-of-28) from the floor in the opening stanza including 6-of-8 from deep.

Freshman Rylan Griffen led five UA players in double figures with 15 points to go along with seven boards. Jahvon Quinerly added 12 points off the bench to help the Tide to a 32-18 edge in the category.

The Sooners were led by Grand Sherfield's 30 points while teammate Jalen Hill added 26 points. Tanner Groves also had a double-double with 14 points and 12 boards in the win. Combined, the trio scored 70 of the team's 93 points.

The Tide drop to 18-3 overall and is now 4-3 in SEC/Big 12 games.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"Oklahoma came ready to play and obviously we didn't. I told our guys coming in they (Oklahoma) had a bunch of one possession losses, and they are much better than their record indicated and they were ready to go and I didn't think we were. They jumped on us from the beginning and we never really got back in it, from the coaching staff to all the way down. They shot almost 70 percent from three and they were are at 70 percent at one point so we didn't shoot it well and they shot it great. A lot of that is due to their defense and our defense, you give them open shots they are going to make them and (Grant) Sherfield we had no answer for him. He is really good and we knew that going in but we didn't do a good enough job and guys like Jalen Hill had 26 (points) and eight (rebounds), they were good all across the board and they are a good team."

TEAM STATS​

• Joining Rylan Griffen and Jahvon Quinerly in doube-figure scoring was Brandon Miller and Mark Sears who each scored 11, while Noah Clowney added 10 points and a team-leading eight rebounds
  • Oklahoma owned a 36-35 advantage on the boards marking the fourth time this season Alabama has been outrebounded in a game and the first times it has lost (3-1)
  • The Sooners finished the game shooting 58 percent (34-of-59) from the field, 69 percent from three-point range (9-of-13) and 84 percent (16-of-19) from the foul line
  • In comparison, Alabama shot 38 percent for the game, 27 percent from deep and 62 percent from the charity stripe

FIRST HALF​

• In comparison to Oklahoma's hot shooting, Alabama shot 33 percent (12-of-36) from the floor and 30 percent (3-of-10) from beyond the arc
  • Alabama had 11 second chance points while not allowing OU to score in the category
  • Oklahoma's Grant Sherfield (18 points) and Milos Uzan (13 points) combined to score 31 of OU's 50 points
  • Noah Clowney scored a team-high eight points along with six rebounds

SECOND HALF​

• The Tide came out of the second half on a 7-3 run, cutting the lead to 13 points (53-40)
  • Alabama trimmed it to as low as 11 points (55-45) but Oklahoma was able to push its lead to 20 points (68-48) with 13:32 left in the game
  • The Sooners would go on to lead by as many as 32 points before settling for the 24-point win

UP NEXT​

• Alabama will return home to face Vanderbilt on Tuesday at Coleman Coliseum
  • The contest will tipoff at 7:30 p.m. CT and air live on the SEC Network

I came away with more of the impression they were running on "dead legs" against State; mentally and physically tired.

I hope they're not flying commercial; that's a tiring trip.

They're playing like they walked to Norman.
Four of the five road games we've seen the Tide play has been against top-75 teams. That's going to be tough for any team to fight through—especially one where we're seeing so much youth getting significant minutes.

We see 99% of NCAA basketball teams hit a wall each season. Yesterday shouldn't come as a shock even while seeing them get blown out is shocking.

P
Four of the five road games we've seen the Tide play has been against top-75 teams. That's going to be tough for any team to fight through—especially one where we're seeing so much youth getting significant minutes.

We see 99% of NCAA basketball teams hit a wall each season. Yesterday shouldn't come as a shock even while seeing them get blown out is shocking.
bad shooting is one thing...bad defense is another....

Ok had so many shots from paint...missed a bunch early...
But just drives and layups...and made them after bad start...

And Bama dribbled playing "one on one" so much early...

Interesting game

After watching the “game” and reflecting a bit:
1. How many times do you get burned on a pick and roll?
2. How do you allow 11 straight field goals?
3. Is our defense really that bad?
4. Teams that are physical and take the game at us we can’t/don’t defend.

While we do have length we are lacking in the weight department. When we play larger players not necessarily taller but larger we get pushed around.

Reminds me of when Larry Johnson played for the knicks. He was undersized but consistently got his due to his size and attitude.

While we do have length we are lacking in the weight department. When we play larger players not necessarily taller but larger we get pushed around.

Reminds me of when Larry Johnson played for the knicks. He was undersized but consistently got his due to his size and attitude.
Makes me wonder why we didn't see more of Pringle, especially after Oats indicated stated in his press conference he should have played him more in the MSU game. Pringle's biggest problem is he fouls a lot. But he's tough as shit. I don't understand how last year Oats had no issue throwing Rojas out there, but is hesitant to play Pringle. It makes no sense.

Bediako has played awful since shutting down Oscar Tshiebwe. No intensity whatsoever.

This originally did not concern me, but after this game I am very concerned against a team like Purdue that has a big boy with some pounds on him. We handled Tshiebwe well, but had a tough time handling Oklahoma down low and their active guard. They shot lights out, but they beat us up down low. Now that I am processing the game a little more, it is an outlier and just a very weird game where they looked much better than us, but we know that is not the case. Just hoping we man up defensively and lesrn from this and get a fire lit under our butts again.

What the heck happened? Out of town and take one game off you guys let this crap happen? Come on guys yawl are better than that :).

Been seeing this coming with the shooting issues. Oats system requires great Defense or you get this kind of game. Shooting is up and down and when it is down the D better be there to have a chance to win.

I have not seen anything other than the score and team stats. Did anyone have a good game on offense or defense? From the looks of things no. Leadership/Coaching/Youth???? Something has to explain this.

What the heck happened? Out of town and take one game off you guys let this crap happen? Come on guys yawl are better than that :).

Been seeing this coming with the shooting issues. Oats system requires great Defense or you get this kind of game. Shooting is up and down and when it is down the D better be there to have a chance to win.

I have not seen anything other than the score and team stats. Did anyone have a good game on offense or defense? From the looks of things no. Leadership/Coaching/Youth???? Something has to explain this.

It happens babe. Even the best teams of... forever, drop a game or two like this. It's not our identity like in the past, so while it pissed me off I'm not left looking for answers. Think about those great Gonzaga teams losing to Saint Marys, Kansas this year dropping three in a row, Houston to Temple, Virginia in the first round a few years back, North Carolina dropping one to an unranked Duke years ago. Plenty of instances like this. Let's just get back on track.

It happens babe.
??? Really??? A simple question... I did not see the game so was curious what actually happened. Other team shoots well. Lack of intensitiy defending the 3 point shot? Bad D plan? Effort? To many turnovers? Poor shooting? All the above? Not implying they will not fix things., Not saying it doesn't happen just simply asking what the heck happened since I did not watch the game. I suspect they have gotten full of themselves but I am not in the gymn with these guys.

??? Really??? A simple question... I did not see the game so was curious what actually happened. Other team shoots well. Lack of intensitiy defending the 3 point shot? Bad D plan? Effort? To many turnovers? Poor shooting? All the above? Not implying they will not fix things., Not saying it doesn't happen just simply asking what the heck happened since I did not watch the game. I suspect they have gotten full of themselves but I am not in the gymn with these guys.

Honestly man, they just look like a tired team... slower on defense than normal... missing shots like they are playing in 4 overtimes again... Also have to credit OU for attacking the way they did and shooting it lights out. But the "being tired" thing is concerning to me if it is indeed an issue. I think we will know by Saturday at the latest if it is.

Back
Top Bottom