| FTBL 2023-24 COACHING CAROUSEL UPDATE

Teams
OUT
In
ANALYSIS
TAMU
Jimbo Fisher
Mike Elko
Fisher was fired after posting a 45-25 record in six seasons with the Aggies. He's owed over $77 million to be paid out through 2021.
Michigan St.
Mel Tucker (cause)
Jonathan Smith
Tucker was fired in September amid allegations of sexual harassment. He was 20-14 in four seasons with the Spartans.
Miss State
Zach Arnett
Jeff Lebby
Arnett was fired after posting a 5-6 record with the Bulldogs in his first full season after taking over for the late Mike Leach.
Northwestern
Pat Fitzgerald (cause)
David Braun
Fitzgerald was dismissed after an investigation revealed a culture of hazing within the program. He was 110-101 in 17 seasons leading the Wildcats.
Boise
Andy Avalos
Avalos was let go after 10 games in the 2023 season. He was 22-14 in three seasons leading the Broncos.
SDSU
Brady Hoke (retired)
Sean Lewis
Hoke was 39-30 in two stints with Aztecs (2009-10, 2020-23). He was 104-90 overall as a head coach with stops at Ball State (2003-08), Michigan (2011-14) and as an interim coach at Tennessee (2017).
Syracuse
Dino Barber
Fran Brown
Babers, 62, has been at Syracuse for eight seasons, posting an overall record of 41-55 with two bowl appearances.
New Mexico
Danny Gonzales
Fired
Indiana
Tom Allen
Curt Cignetti
Fired
Duke
Mike Elko
Elko hired at TAMU
UL Monroe
Terry Bowden
Fired, just like his Dad
Houston
Dana Holgorsen
MTSU
Rick Stockstill
UC Davis
Dan Hawkins
Oregon St
Jonathan Smith
Trey Bray
Indiana
Curt Cignetti

Last edited:
you'd have to apply for a waiver from the NCAA or SEC I believe to allow a student athlete to enroll. I've only seen them ever give waivers where players needed to move closer to family for health reasons or were transferring down football divisions. Maybe there's an exception to that rule somewhere but it's unlikely they'd let 10-15 kids leave and use the rule just because. NCAA is slow on everything...

To both your points, yes the portal opens. The issue is not that the portal is open, it's that the kids who transfer out can't enroll until Fall at their new schools like those that transfer after the Spring portal it's the same rules that would apply here.

The move by Michigan and Harbaugh is VERY smart, it's a loophole, but it's smart. How best to keep the roster intact when a coach leaves? Draw it along until the roster isn't able to enroll until fall, thus buying yourself more time to convince the kids to stay.
Dude.... I give up.... You think harbaugh is controlling the NFL interviews?

Where in any of my posts did I say Harbaugh was controlling the NFL? I said he's controlling his exit at Michigan in regards to enrollment dates for the portal....read my posts man
NFL head coach interview process/rules
The NFL has a series of rules for head coach interviews, outlined as follows:

Teams with open head-coaching positions were able to begin requesting interviews with candidates from other teams on Jan. 8. Those interviews must happen virtually before the end of divisional-round games on Jan. 21.
The NFL recommends that teams with open head-coaching positions use this “virtual interview window” to set up an initial interview so those teams are eligible to request a second interview with a candidate from a Super Bowl team during the bye week.
Note: Teams may not interview employees of other teams that didn’t make the postseason until the third day after the employer teams’ Week 18 game (for example, Jan. 9 for a game on Jan. 6, or Jan. 10 for a game on Jan. 7).
These are the interview requirements for coaches of teams in the postseason:

If the employer team has a bye in the wild-card round, virtual interviews may begin three days after Week 18 games (Jan. 9 or 10, whichever is applicable) and must happen before the end of wild-card games.
If the employer team is participating in the wild-card round, virtual interviews may begin three days after the team’s wild-card game and must happen before the end of the divisional-round games on Jan. 21, as follows:
For a Saturday or Sunday game, virtual interviews are allowed starting Jan. 16.
For a Monday game, virtual interviews are allowed starting Jan. 17.
Starting Jan. 22 (the day after the divisional round ends):

Teams can conduct in-person or virtual interviews with candidates employed by other NFL teams whose seasons ended.
Teams cannot hold initial interviews with candidates employed by teams participating in the AFC and NFC championship games until the end of the employer team’s season. Second interviews are not allowed until Jan. 29. A candidate’s employer team may not voluntarily grant permission for those interviews.
Starting Jan. 29 through Feb. 4 (the bye week between conference championships and the Super Bowl):

Second interviews, either in-person or virtual, are allowed with head coach candidates employed by teams in the Super Bowl. The team(s) conducting the interviews must notify the employer team(s).
Contact with head coach candidates in the Super Bowl is not allowed from Feb. 4 to Feb. 12, the day after the Super Bowl.

Additionally, no contract, contract announcement or contract agreement is permitted until after the end of the employer team’s season.

What about college coaches?
The NFL’s notes do not address college coaches. Teams can interview those coaches — such as Jim Harbaugh, who has reportedly generated NFL interest — now.

I'm asking you a question.

How can he control his exit from Michigan when Habaroug and NFL teams has to follow the rules of interviewing which can take multiple weeks?
NFL Rules
How can anyone who signs a contract control when things happen? By waiting to sign the contract...
Like I said NFL is controlling the interview process... They have to interview others before they can offer Habraugh. So therefore Michigan and Habraugh isn't doing this intentionally...
You just have to comply with the Rooney rule. The Rooney rule requires you to at least have an in-person interview with someone who qualifies. The Titans qualified David Shaw today after interviewing their likely HC yesterday.

Jim Harbaugh could've interviewed last week, they could've found someone (like David Shaw) to fit the Rooney Rule to interview and then they could hire who they wanted a week ago or this week easily. They may still complete those interviews this week but like I've stipulated for over a week. Harbaugh will not sign anything that puts Michigan up for grabs until it's past the deadline. It's as simple as that. The Charges or ATL or whoever could offer him a contract within the next hour but he's not going to sign it until the deadline hits.

They've been playing the will he/won't he game for the last two weeks talking about how Michigan is working out some super-deal behind the scenes but it's all just smoke and mirrors. As most everyone has speculated on here and on espn, he's gone to the NFL, but if he doesn't leave before Feb 1st Michigan doesn't have to deal with what Bama just did, at least not until Spring ball is over.

How can anyone who signs a contract control when things happen? By waiting to sign the contract...

You just have to comply with the Rooney rule. The Rooney rule requires you to at least have an in-person interview with someone who qualifies. The Titans qualified David Shaw today after interviewing their likely HC yesterday.

Jim Harbaugh could've interviewed last week, they could've found someone (like David Shaw) to fit the Rooney Rule to interview and then they could hire who they wanted a week ago or this week easily. They may still complete those interviews this week but like I've stipulated for over a week. Harbaugh will not sign anything that puts Michigan up for grabs until it's past the deadline. It's as simple as that. The Charges or ATL or whoever could offer him a contract within the next hour but he's not going to sign it until the deadline hits.

They've been playing the will he/won't he game for the last two weeks talking about how Michigan is working out some super-deal behind the scenes but it's all just smoke and mirrors. As most everyone has speculated on here and on espn, he's gone to the NFL, but if he doesn't leave before Feb 1st Michigan doesn't have to deal with what Bama just did, at least not until Spring ball is over.
You just want to be right huh?
You just won't let this one go.

I gave you the timeline of how it works: The LA Times explained this: Chargers interview Jim Harbaugh, but more Rooney Rule requirements loom

The other coaches who have interviewed with the Chargers include two internal options: Giff Smith, who finished the season as the interim head coach, and Kellen Moore, the Chargers offensive coordinator.

They have interviewed four candidates from other teams: Patrick Graham (Las Vegas defensive coordinator), Todd Monken (Baltimore offensive coordinator), Steve Wilks (San Francisco defensive coordinator) and Mike Macdonald (Ravens defensive coordinator).
The Chargers also met Sunday with Leslie Frazier, who was out of the league in 2023 after spending six seasons with Buffalo as defensive coordinator.

Any timeline for the Chargers’ decision is contingent on the team adhering to the NFL’s Rooney Rule, which requires at least two external minority candidates to be interviewed in person.

The league’s new hiring guidelines prohibit face-to-face meetings with anyone employed by another NFL team until Jan. 22.

THIS IS OUT OF HARBAUGH'S CONTROL! It's NFL Process that's drawing it out.

you'd have to apply for a waiver from the NCAA or SEC I believe to allow a student athlete to enroll. I've only seen them ever give waivers where players needed to move closer to family for health reasons or were transferring down football divisions. Maybe there's an exception to that rule somewhere but it's unlikely they'd let 10-15 kids leave and use the rule just because. NCAA is slow on everything...

To both your points, yes the portal opens. The issue is not that the portal is open, it's that the kids who transfer out can't enroll until Fall at their new schools like those that transfer after the Spring portal it's the same rules that would apply here.

The move by Michigan and Harbaugh is VERY smart, it's a loophole, but it's smart. How best to keep the roster intact when a coach leaves? Draw it along until the roster isn't able to enroll until fall, thus buying yourself more time to convince the kids to stay.
Why can’t they enroll for the first Summer session? They need to show continued progress toward a degree and they could get that with 12 total hours in the Summer (6 each Summer session). New enrollees (incoming Freshmen) do that.

Why can’t they enroll for the first Summer session? They need to show continued progress toward a degree and they could get that with 12 total hours in the Summer (6 each Summer session). New enrollees (incoming Freshmen) do that.
They can do summer workouts yes, they can participate in fall practices, yes. They miss the spring practices and scrimmages though. Which is usually helpful when learning a new system. If they'd opened the portal last week, the tampering and moves would've been rampant. They're waiting until Feb 1st because it limits what other schools can actually do at that point. I am not knocking the move, I'm just pointing out what they're doing and why they're doing it. The tampering they deal with will be a lot less because of their timing.
You just want to be right huh?
You just won't let this one go.

I gave you the timeline of how it works: The LA Times explained this: Chargers interview Jim Harbaugh, but more Rooney Rule requirements loom

THIS IS OUT OF HARBAUGH'S CONTROL! It's NFL Process that's drawing it out.
Brother, you still don't understand my point even though I've stated it like 20 times so far so I'm kinda done at this point. I really don't have to prove I'm right to you now anyways. Just gotta watch the timing of the Harbaugh hire/signature.

Last edited:
They can do summer workouts, much like any other

Brother, you still don't understand my point even though I've stated it like 20 times so far so I'm kinda done at this point. I really don't have to prove I'm right to you now anyways. Just gotta watch the timing of the Harbaugh hire/signature.

They can do summer workouts yes, they can participate in fall practices, yes. They miss the spring practices and scrimmages though. Which is usually helpful when learning a new system. If they'd opened the portal last week, the tampering and moves would've been rampant. They're waiting until Feb 1st because it limits what other schools can actually do at that point. I am not knocking the move, I'm just pointing out what they're doing and why they're doing it. The tampering they deal with will be a lot less because of their timing.

Right ok

They can do summer workouts yes, they can participate in fall practices, yes.
This discussion has circled around enrollment dates. I'd have to look, but based on the past UA's Summer I will begin the first or second week of May. A transfer can enroll then.

Also...remember we're in a bit of a different climate now. This coaching staff can spend time with these guys throughout the summer. I want to say it's 20 hours...I'd have to look up the rule change again.

This discussion has circled around enrollment dates. I'd have to look, but based on the past UA's Summer I will begin the first or second week of May. A transfer can enroll then.

Also...remember we're in a bit of a different climate now. This coaching staff can spend time with these guys throughout the summer. I want to say it's 20 hours...I'd have to look up the rule change again.
Yea, I know, was pointing out that a lot of people think these transfers are going to be in spring practices but that is not possible after Feb 1st. I believe that was the cutoff for the NCAA but I think there's individual dates for different schools so Bama may already be past the day in question.

Yea, I know, was pointing out that a lot of people think these transfers are going to be in spring practices but that is not possible after Feb 1st. I believe that was the cutoff for the NCAA but I think there's individual dates for different schools so Bama may already be past the day in question.
Ya know, if we want something standardized, let's start with collegiate academic calendars. I can't remember what school I was looking at last year (re: transfers) and they were still working on a quarter system.

With the way academics are handled with student athletes today you have to look at each player individually.

Idle thought: If I chose, I could be enrolled in several schools today. If it was summer, I could be full time in two schools at 12 hours.

But but.... I was right.

weren’t you just being critical of 9201 in post #267 saying he “just want to be right huh”. And now you’re gloating when the contract isn’t yet signed?

Has the portal window opened yet for Michigan players? That’s when you should gloat, if the portal window opens in time for the Michigan players to enter and pick a new school in time to enroll for spring semester. Or at least that’s how I’ve read the beef on here.

weren’t you just being critical of 9201 in post #267 saying he “just want to be right huh”. And now you’re gloating when the contract isn’t yet signed?

Has the portal window opened yet for Michigan players? That’s when you should gloat, if the portal window opens in time for the Michigan players to enter and pick a new school in time to enroll for spring semester. Or at least that’s how I’ve read the beef on here.
Okay sure whatever you said.

Ya know, if we want something standardized, let's start with collegiate academic calendars. I can't remember what school I was looking at last year (re: transfers) and they were still working on a quarter system.

With the way academics are handled with student athletes today you have to look at each player individually.

Idle thought: If I chose, I could be enrolled in several schools today. If it was summer, I could be full time in two schools at 12 hours.
Exactly. No situation are the same.

Washington is one of those weird ones on the quarter system. I'd honestly like to see the P5 institutions come up with some easier way to simplify all these processes in general. I know some of us are beating the drum for changes anyways, just hope things like this are thought of. I'm always a proponent of doing it right the first time even if it's a little tougher to get it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom