| FTBL With a W, why do I feel bad?

TerryP said:
bamascw said:
It is a sad day indeed when we are up 23-0 after the first quarter and win the game on a last second interception in the endzone. It's not like we were playing LSU!! I know we have our issues but dang, it seems as though we are getting worse as the season progresses. I did not expect to win the West this year but I sure did not expect to struggle with Houston either! If we can't get our act together this week, we are in for a long "rest of the season". I was at Buffalo Wild Wings watching the Bama game while the rest of the place was watching UT, and I'm telling you, UT is gonna beat us like a drum if we play them like we did Houston. JPW has got to get himself under control and our D-line....geeeeeez, if we can't pressure Houston's quarterback we will never get to Ainge. Good 'ol Nick needs to light a fire under everyone's butt this week, even the waterboy needs a kick in the arse!!!

We had 5 sacks against Houston and countless situations where he was under pressure.

Countless situations where the QB break containment and ran for 7 yards.

LOL, some of you can't be pleased...

Please, suit up and go out there and play. No really, I want to see it.

Or suit up and go coach. I'd like to see that as well.

Do something besides bitching about OUR players and OUR coaches.

5 sacks and numerous pressures and it's not good enough.

Come on guys...this is getting just a tad bit ridiculous...

PS - by the numbers:

Joseph rushed once for 9 yards

Keenum rushed once for 16 yards and once for 9 yards.

So, yeah, three plays where they rushed for more than 7 yards. That sure is countless situations. It's not too much to ask to at least make your statements based on fact is it? :?

Outlaw said:

I'm not bitching, I'm saying that if we play that way against UT, LSU and Auburn, hell even Ole Miss and ST. we will be beaten. Also, I am saying that we (IMO) appear to be getting worse in our overall play instead of getting better. Sure we had some pressure on the QB but how many missed tackles, how many times did he shoot past us, even if for only a yard or two. We played poorly against HOUSTON, that does not make one overly optimistic about next week. Now, don't Misinterpret this as saying I could personally do better, again, I'm just saying that we look worse today than we did on September 10th.

I see what you're saying, and I just have to respectfully disagree. You see Houston and see a CUSA pushover. I see Houston and see a CUSA offensive juggernaut who, if not for some costly turnovers, might have been undefeated coming into our game, and that's with a game against Oregon, who they put up 500+ yards on. A lot of people are saying "Oregon? The Pac-10 sucks!" to which I disagree with as well. Our D held them in check for most of the game, and to that I was actually pretty pleased. We could have played better without a doubt, but I didn't think we played overly bad. I wish we would have went for the jugular early and not just kept our foot gently against their throat, but again, growing pains I suppose.

I'm not trying to single you out or anything, but it's just that I've read post after post and heard fan after fan talk about putting GM in and complaining about CMA and etc and to be quite honest, that is ludicrous. IMHO.

TerryP said:
People have been pointing to JPW's inconsistency this year but I've yet to see someone point out the problems we've had with shotgun snaps. That will throw even the best of QB's out of their rhythm.

Look at me, look at me!!!!!

Argo said:
One more thing I forgot to mention is the shotgun formation. If we ever have a hot route on a blitz read, we are screwed 9 times out of 10 because of the snap. It is nearly impossible to scoop the snap off the ground and still hit the quick slant.

http://crimsontusks.com/about24019-0-asc-0.html

Seriously though, I still don't think it's all JPW. I believe 100% that our coaching staff will get our problems worked out. It may not be as soon as we'd all like, but they will get them worked out.

I've never quite understood this point of view. For fans who passionately care about their team and want them to see them play the best, why would people not be upset about mediocrity, especially when the team proved in the first half they could play much better. Personally I thought the fans who do get upset when the teams doesn't perform at the level they are capable are the ones who are most loyal because they show they care. There is of course a difference and a win and a loss, but when it is a team that should be more of a tune-up than a nail biter, why is it wrong to be upset when the latter occurs?

imatigerfan said:

I've never quite understood this point of view. For fans who passionately care about their team and want them to see them play the best, why would people not be upset about mediocrity, especially when the team proved in the first half they could play much better. Personally I thought the fans who do get upset when the teams doesn't perform at the level they are capable are the ones who are most loyal because they show they care. There is of course a difference and a win and a loss, but when it is a team that should be more of a tune-up than a nail biter, why is it wrong to be upset when the latter occurs?

First, I've already made my opinions about Houston known. Obviously, I'm in the minority of people who think they are a really good team, especially offensively. Tune-up? Negative. Not when we don't have near the talent to consider anyone a tune-up. I guess Michigan considered App State a tune-up too.

Which point of view are you talking about? The one that I like for statements to be made on valid data?

The statement was made that our defensive line played horrible. The statement was also made that their QBs scrambled in "countless situations" and picked up 7+ yards.

We had 5 sacks and numerous other pressures. Their quarterbacks combined for three runs for over 7 yards.

The first statement does not correlate with what actually happened during the game.

Fairly simple I think.

I agree

Houston was able to push our lines around like a bunch of High school players. I guess we just don't have any real players on this team right now. I watched the UGA game and saw first hand how lucky we were to be in the game, if UGA hadn't made so many mistakes the would have blown us out and the FSU game we were never really a threat once they started running up and down the field on our D. I just hope we win six games and don't get blown out in some small bowl game.

Re: I agree

BammerHammer said:
Houston was able to push our lines around like a bunch of High school players. I guess we just don't have any real players on this team right now. I watched the UGA game and saw first hand how lucky we were to be in the game, if UGA hadn't made so many mistakes the would have blown us out and the FSU game we were never really a threat once they started running up and down the field on our D. I just hope we win six games and don't get blown out in some small bowl game.

Your disguise is weak. I still smell cow manure and it seems to be wafting from the Barn on the Plains.

Re: I agree

moreno_iv said:
BammerHammer said:

Your disguise is weak. I still smell cow manure and it seems to be wafting from the Barn on the Plains.

Is that what that smell is?

Outlaw said:
First, I've already made my opinions about Houston known. Obviously, I'm in the minority of people who think they are a really good team, especially offensively. Tune-up? Negative. Not when we don't have near the talent to consider anyone a tune-up. I guess Michigan considered App State a tune-up too.

Which point of view are you talking about? The one that I like for statements to be made on valid data?

The statement was made that our defensive line played horrible. The statement was also made that their QBs scrambled in "countless situations" and picked up 7+ yards.

We had 5 sacks and numerous other pressures. Their quarterbacks combined for three runs for over 7 yards.

The first statement does not correlate with what actually happened during the game.

Fairly simple I think.

I have to disagree with you about Houston , Outlaw. They aren't a really good offensive team. They are and outstanding offensive team. I think anyone who read much information at all about them prior to the game would agree. Heck, if you listened to what Coach Saban said in his pressers leading up to the game you could see that there was reason for concern. I know I was, and I've seen Terry P and some others make similar comments. I guess the reason I hadn't posted about it before now is because I didn't feel like beating my head against the wall, but after reading this thread, I felt bad that you were the lone voice crying in the wilderness , and thought that I would at least give you an "Amen." Here goes:

Yeah, it stinks when you're up by 23 in the first quarter and you have to depend on a last second interception win the game. What I think people are overlooking is the fact that these guys have not had to play for 60 minutes since they came to Alabama. That concept has not been drilled into their heads prior to this year, and it's not something that you can just turn on. The physical preparation started in the spring and it's working very well. If you want proof of that, think back over the six games we have played and try to remember how many times you seen our guys come out of the game due to cramps compared with how many of our opponents players you've seen come out. But, building the physical ability to play for sixty minutes is the easiest part. You just punish your body every day until you build stamina. The mental aspect of it is the hardest part. You can't force a bunch of players to focus, no matter how great of a coaching staff you have. The players have to do that for themselves and it may take them a little more time.

In the past the famous line was "we're close". Translation: just keep doing what you're doing and we'll eventually get there. The line now is "play with intensity on every play, be physical on every play, do everything the right way all of the time and the rest will take care of itself." These are two completely different ways of thinking. That is the new "system" that they are learning. It's not the plays themselves. Most of these guys have been playing ball since grade school, they can learn new plays, again that's the easy part. The hard part is going from "everything is going to be fine" to "I've got to do my job on every play, I have no excuses, I am accountable for everything that I do." You can't just say it , you have to completely buy into that philosophy to put it into action. I see tremendous advancement already, and I have confidence that they will continue to improve. They'll get the new "system". It may be the next game, it may be next season, but they will get it. And, when they do, then we can look forward to seeing posts like:"Man, I can't believe we let those guys score 7 on us." or ,"I can't believe all we scored was 28. What's wrong with these guys." :wink:

Roll Tide

-Clayton

I have to disagree with you about Houston , Outlaw. They aren't a really good offensive team. They are and outstanding offensive team. I think anyone who read much information at all about them prior to the game would agree. Heck, if you listened to what Coach Saban said in his pressers leading up to the game you could see that there was reason for concern. I know I was, and I've seen Terry P and some others make similar comments. I guess the reason I hadn't posted about it before now is because I didn't feel like beating my head against the wall, but after reading this thread, I felt bad that you were the lone voice crying in the wilderness , and thought that I would at least give you an "Amen." Here goes:

Yeah, it stinks when you're up by 23 in the first quarter and you have to depend on a last second interception win the game. What I think people are overlooking is the fact that these guys have not had to play for 60 minutes since they came to Alabama. That concept has not been drilled into their heads prior to this year, and it's not something that you can just turn on. The physical preparation started in the spring and it's working very well. If you want proof of that, think back over the six games we have played and try to remember how many times you seen our guys come out of the game due to cramps compared with how many of our opponents players you've seen come out. But, building the physical ability to play for sixty minutes is the easiest part. You just punish your body every day until you build stamina. The mental aspect of it is the hardest part. You can't force a bunch of players to focus, no matter how great of a coaching staff you have. The players have to do that for themselves and it may take them a little more time.

In the past the famous line was "we're close". Translation: just keep doing what you're doing and we'll eventually get there. The line now is "play with intensity on every play, be physical on every play, do everything the right way all of the time and the rest will take care of itself." These are two completely different ways of thinking. That is the new "system" that they are learning. It's not the plays themselves. Most of these guys have been playing ball since grade school, they can learn new plays, again that's the easy part. The hard part is going from "everything is going to be fine" to "I've got to do my job on every play, I have no excuses, I am accountable for everything that I do." You can't just say it , you have to completely buy into that philosophy to put it into action. I see tremendous advancement already, and I have confidence that they will continue to improve. They'll get the new "system". It may be the next game, it may be next season, but they will get it. And, when they do, then we can look forward to seeing posts like:"Man, I can't believe we let those guys score 7 on us." or ,"I can't believe all we scored was 28. What's wrong with these guys."

I can understand that. However, I would like to say that though Houston may be a decent team, they don't stack up against SEC teams. C-USA power doesn't translate very well to SEC. The part about Saban talking in the press conference, that is every coach. No smart coach would sit there and say, "well we're going to destroy them this Saturday". Any coach wants low expectations and then to destroy the team, makes them and the team look a lot better. I think everyone does understand that it won't change over night, but if everytime something goes bad someone post on the forum, "be patient" and thats all we write because there needs to be patience then this forum dies. Its okay to expect greater play. No one is saying, "well I'm done being a fan because of this game" People just care and are trying to show it.

Fairly simple I think.

App. State should have been a tune-up. It wasn't but it should have. No one is saying Bama played horrible, but they did show they were the better team and then let off, that is why people are upset and rightfully so.

I have to chime in here if I may. I thought it was a decent win. Win being the operative word here. It was a win over an outstanding football team.

I think alot of people watched the 1st quarter and just thought we would run away with it. I told all my friends that I watched the game with that Houston would get into a groove and make it a good game. They did just that.

Alabama did what it had to to get a win.

That is good enough for me. I will never be upset with a win no matter how "ugly".

imatigerfan said:
I can understand that. However, I would like to say that though Houston may be a decent team, they don't stack up against SEC teams. C-USA power doesn't translate very well to SEC. The part about Saban talking in the press conference, that is every coach. No smart coach would sit there and say, "well we're going to destroy them this Saturday". Any coach wants low expectations and then to destroy the team, makes them and the team look a lot better. I think everyone does understand that it won't change over night, but if everytime something goes bad someone post on the forum, "be patient" and thats all we write because there needs to be patience then this forum dies. Its okay to expect greater play. No one is saying, "well I'm done being a fan because of this game" People just care and are trying to show it.

There are a few things you are missing here.

The first would be the point that there really isn't a team in the NCAA that fields an offensive scheme like Houston did. The CAB offense, has so many different formations that they can interchange personnel with it makes it a very difficult team for the defensive coordinators to plan for. I won't even go into the point of mentioning how difficult it is for a scout team to simulate that scheme in practices before the game.

Secondly, while you don't expect to have a CUSA team to be able to play with an SEC team year in and year out, there is evidence they've been able to do so successfully for a good while now.

Southern Miss has been a strong program. Marshall has had its success as has Tulane a few years back. Heck, Memphis defeated UT a few years ago as well and just lost by a couple of points to Ole Miss earlier this year. UTEP is starting to enjoy some success.

It's not a BCS quality conference, no doubt. But I'd be willing to bet there are a few teams in the SEC Houston could beat. Hell, they gave Oregon a run for their money earlier this season even though the scoreboard didn't reflect it in the end.

Even UAB has turned in a couple of respectable outings this year, against FSU and MState, though they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter in both games. As the Florida directional schools are showing, the talent gap between the big time "haves" and the traditional "have nots" is getting pretty small.

The first would be the point that there really isn't a team in the NCAA that fields an offensive scheme like Houston did. The CAB offense, has so many different formations that they can interchange personnel with it makes it a very difficult team for the defensive coordinators to plan for. I won't even go into the point of mentioning how difficult it is for a scout team to simulate that scheme in practices before the game.

Secondly, while you don't expect to have a CUSA team to be able to play with an SEC team year in and year out, there is evidence they've been able to do so successfully for a good while now.

Southern Miss has been a strong program. Marshall has had its success as has Tulane a few years back. Heck, Memphis defeated UT a few years ago as well and just lost by a couple of points to Ole Miss earlier this year. UTEP is starting to enjoy some success.

It's not a BCS quality conference, no doubt. But I'd be willing to bet there are a few teams in the SEC Houston could beat. Hell, they gave Oregon a run for their money earlier this season even though the scoreboard didn't reflect it in the end.

Oh c'mon. Don't you think you are giving them a little to much credit here. First, Bama showed they could stop this "difficult offense" in the first half. If it is an offense that is really difficult to understand then it would be the exact opposite. A team would do poorly, then start to understand it and then start to stop them, but Bama did the opposite. Also, Tulane managed to keep them to just 10 points, they are not the offensive powerhouse you are making them out to be. Bama has the talent and the coaches to keep them under 20. The fact of the matter is, Bama did not play a full game. I know Saban is working on that and it will come and I can accept that, but lets call it what it is. Don't give Houston more credit than they deserve.

imatigerfan said:

Oh c'mon. Don't you think you are giving them a little to much credit here. First, Bama showed they could stop this "difficult offense" in the first half. If it is an offense that is really difficult to understand then it would be the exact opposite. A team would do poorly, then start to understand it and then start to stop them, but Bama did the opposite. Also, Tulane managed to keep them to just 10 points, they are not the offensive powerhouse you are making them out to be. Bama has the talent and the coaches to keep them under 20. The fact of the matter is, Bama did not play a full game. I know Saban is working on that and it will come and I can accept that, but lets call it what it is. Don't give Houston more credit than they deserve.

1. They are an offensive powerhouse.

2. They beat Tulane 34-10. They have not scored less than 24 points in a game this season. If my memory serves me right, they have not gained below 400 yards all season as well.

3. At least have your facts straight before you try to discuss.

Back
Top Bottom