| FTBL Who would you want to be Saban's successor after he retires?

Had a conversation with a friend today about this topic, interested in seeing who else the other fans on here would say they wanted. A good number of coaches we could potentially go after. I know the names I've seen/heard the most of have been Kiffin, Ryan's, Dabo, Kirby(not happening).

Difficult to say now, not knowing when that day will come... But the last few years, I've said Matt Rhule, so I'll stick with that. But a couple or three years from now? If Dan Lanning shows he's on an upward trajectory as a program leader, he could easily be my top choice.
I'd take lanning if he keeps Oregon in the direction it's in right now. I'd love to get Ryan's back, but that'll be extremely difficult to do, especially if he is very successful with the Texans. There's also other guys like Aranda, or Mel Tucker out there as well. Or we could go the Georgia route, and hire Glenn Schumann (he may get plucked after this year somewhere). I hope it's a long time before we have to worry about this.

I'd take lanning if he keeps Oregon in the direction it's in right now. I'd love to get Ryan's back, but that'll be extremely difficult to do, especially if he is very successful with the Texans. There's also other guys like Aranda, or Mel Tucker out there as well. Or we could go the Georgia route, and hire Glenn Schumann (he may get plucked after this year somewhere). I hope it's a long time before we have to worry about this.

I like the potential of Aranda. Mel Tucker would send me into a depression spiral. Love Ryans, but like you said, a lot would have to happen for it to get to that point. But he's a guy that could step into CFB and kill it right away IMO.

Same here, hopefully it'll be a long time before it happens. And I know people have made the point of "Who would want to follow Saban?", but honestly, we could make a great hire after he leaves. LSU was able to do it when he left, why not us?

I get so sick and tired of this argument (and its usually made by opposing fanbases). The types of people who become head coaches at places like Alabama are highly competitive people who love the thrill of a challenge and winning. They are not like most people who want to work their 40-50 hours per week and sleep in on the weekends. When he retires, someone good will want that job.

What about Dabo Wabo? Honestly, he is a great coach, but he is the type of guy that would emphasize the importance of going to church on Sunday while one of his assistant coaches would take his players out to a strip club on Friday night.

Dabo would be a bad fit from the start... not to say he couldn't overcome it, but it would be an uphill battle from day 1.

I like the potential of Aranda. Mel Tucker would send me into a depression spiral. Love Ryans, but like you said, a lot would have to happen for it to get to that point. But he's a guy that could step into CFB and kill it right away IMO.
We'd have to offer a shit ton of money to him for him to consider coming to us. It would then be up to him what he'd want to do, as of now, I think he'd stay in the league if he had to make that choice, regardless.... make him say no.

Dabo would be a bad fit from the start... not to say he couldn't overcome it, but it would be an uphill battle from day 1.
I'd honestly take him if we couldn't land our top candidates(not saying he wouldn't be one). He can be a lame ass at times, but he's still taken that program to two national championships, and beat Saban to do it both times. I also believe he'd absolutely dominate recruiting in Alabama, so that's a plus. A few years ago he was my top candidate for the job, now he's slid down that list for me. If he can get Clemson back to what they were a few short years ago, and beat Georgia next year(I hope he does), he may slide back up for me.

Also, I'd like there to be a meeting of who'd he want to bring with him, and who'd he want to hire before we would give him the job. He'd need to have a great staff coming in for me being comfortable with him taking the job. He's shown he can put together a great staff, it's just when they leave is what has me worried.

I get so sick and tired of this argument (and its usually made by opposing fanbases). The types of people who become head coaches at places like Alabama are highly competitive people who love the thrill of a challenge and winning. They are not like most people who want to work their 40-50 hours per week and sleep in on the weekends. When he retires, someone good will want that job.
We'll have people who want this job, we just gotta make the right hire when the time comes. Please god, make the right hire.

Back
Top Bottom