| FTBL Who would you want to be Saban's successor after he retires?

I don't want Dabo anywhere near the program. Can't stand the guy. No to Jimbo, obviously. Do not want Lincoln Riley anywhere near either. All of those guys have slimey personalities and I don't trust their abilities to sustain for the best team in the toughest conference in the country.

Dan Lanning may be an interesting figure. As others have said, see what he can do at Oregonand maybe he's a player. Younger, so potential for longevity like Kirby at Georgia.

Lane could be interesting. Known for being slimey and strange, but I feel Saban has matured him in ways that could be beneficial for Alabama. If he can show me the desire to change on the defensive side of the ball and manage a positive change I'd be ok with giving him a shot.

Glenn Schumann is a guy I want to see grow before getting a shot. His recruiting and defensive approach are all positives to me to go along with his age. I'm a believer in defense and if he can keep teams below their average even a modest offense can win games until he can gain experience.

I'm not sold on many guys out there, so I either want someone with a great track record or willing to give a young gun an opportunity. Gotta be hungry to run a program like ours with such high expectations.

Lane could be interesting. Known for being slimey and strange, but I feel Saban has matured him in ways that could be beneficial for Alabama. If he can show me the desire to change on the defensive side of the ball and manage a positive change I'd be ok with giving him a shot.
If Lane thinks he can recruit sitting behind his desk at Ole Miss, how much lazier does he get at a school like Alabama?

I don't know.... DeMeco for sure, I don't think it would be about the money with him, just whether or not he wants out of the NFL when the time comes......Sark maybe?

If Lane thinks he can recruit sitting behind his desk at Ole Miss, how much lazier does he get at a school like Alabama?

One would think he would understand the assignment and get out on his feet. Now, that is my mindset, which I completely understand it isn't the same as others. There is nothing showing he would change considering the opportunity, you just hope he matures and understands that Alabama is different than Ole Miss and taking into consideration what Saban did to build this machine and what he would need to keep it rolling.

I don't want Dabo anywhere near the program. Can't stand the guy. No to Jimbo, obviously. Do not want Lincoln Riley anywhere near either. All of those guys have slimey personalities and I don't trust their abilities to sustain for the best team in the toughest conference in the country.

Dan Lanning may be an interesting figure. As others have said, see what he can do at Oregonand maybe he's a player. Younger, so potential for longevity like Kirby at Georgia.

Glenn Schumann is a guy I want to see grow before getting a shot. His recruiting and defensive approach are all positives to me to go along with his age. I'm a believer in defense and if he can keep teams below their average even a modest offense can win games until he can gain experience.

I'm not sold on many guys out there, so I either want someone with a great track record or willing to give a young gun an opportunity. Gotta be hungry to run a program like ours with such high expectations.
Feel the same about a lot of these guys, only hire I consider to be a "home run", would be if we got Demeco to come back.... but that's gonna be a tough task.

That sounds like sour grapes to me. They gave him plenty of chances to make plays, he just wasn't able to make them. Klubnick comes in, and the offense is back running a lot smoother than when Dj was running it. I wish him the best at Oregon State, and maybe the new scheme will be more beneficial to him there, than at Clemson. He's got the talent to be a great QB, he just needs to be more consistent.

No one is going to replicate Saban's success either way, but there shouldn't be a significant drop off that opposing fans are wanting (hoping). And we shouldn't turn out nose up at assistants either, as long as it seems like the right assistant. Oklahoma went from Bob Stoops to Lincoln Riley. Ohio State went from Meyer to Ryan Day. Oregon went and hired Dan Lanning. All three programs have seen success in a short span. Alabama is arguably the best program in the country with a ton of money and resources. Regardless of the narrative that no one wants to follow a legend (which holds some merit), coaches are also not going to turn down a golden opportunity to continue success and make more money.

I think Dan Lanning should be the first guy Alabama should look after. Oregon will counter with an offer. I also believe Glenn Schumann should get a call. It would be risky, as 334 said, he doesn't have a lot of experience.

He's been able to recruit some really good players to come to Ole Miss, as well as getting them through the transfer portal. Now how much of that is actually him, I'm not sure. What has me scared to hire him is who would he hire to be his defensive coordinator? Because I swear to God, if he brings Golding back.... I'm gonna lose it.

rage.gif

No one is going to replicate Saban's success either way, but there shouldn't be a significant drop off that opposing fans are wanting (hoping). And we shouldn't turn out nose up at assistants either, as long as it seems like the right assistant. Oklahoma went from Bob Stoops to Lincoln Riley. Ohio State went from Meyer to Ryan Day. Oregon went and hired Dan Lanning. All three programs have seen success in a short span. Alabama is arguably the best program in the country with a ton of money and resources. Regardless of the narrative that no one wants to follow a legend (which holds some merit), coaches are also not going to turn down a golden opportunity to continue success and make more money.

I think Dan Lanning should be the first guy Alabama should look after. Oregon will counter with an offer. I also believe Glenn Schumann should get a call. It would be risky, as 334 said, he doesn't have a lot of experience.
If Lanning can continue the upward trend with Oregon, I'd take him. Curious to see if he can get them back to playoff level. And Schumann would be a gamble, no head coaching experience.... but two of the guys you named also didn't have any either, and they've been pretty damn good. Same with Georgia, Kirby had no experience as well being the head coach. Now, all of them took over programs who were already winners, with a ton to work with, I just hope we can do the same.

There will be many who want the job with the expectation that they will get Saban money. I can’t think of a single coach who is worth that. Dabo has a lot of the qualifications, but he would require more than Saban money. Ryans is an interesting candidate, but he hasn’t won a single game yet. Kiffin is a possibility (he would leave Ole Miss for Alabama) but I don’t think his Twitter snipes would fit with the Alabama brand and administration. If Sarkisian can show he can win, he’d be a candidate. Kirby has no reason to leave UGA. Lanning is an interesting thought, but moving from the Pac12 to the SEC requires a lot of intestinal fortitude. I don’t think he has enough head coaching experience.

The thing abut getting someone from the Saban tree is, most of those guys would come into a situation where everything is already in place for the type of program they'd want to run... from the on field stuff all the way to the S&C and nutrition staff. There'd be no major overhauls or a significant change in overall expectations from everyone in the building. Guys like Dabo would be coming into a situation where the roster is loaded, but he'd make a lot of changes elsewhere (which would be his prerogative at that point). Kiffin, IMO, would be like a 16 year old getting keys to a Ferrari. He'd have fun and do well with it for a little bit, but neglect the upkeep and end up putting into a ditch one night and then just walk away while it burned up.

Back
Top Bottom