| FTBL Who do we hire whenever Steele retires from coaching?

This has been in my had since the Pruitt news a few days ago, and before we get started, I still would love for Pruitt to be out DC, I just don't expect that to happen as of now. We'll start with two guys currently on staff, Travaris Robinson, and Robert Bala. Robinson has coached under some great Defensive coaches during his career, Muschamp, Manny Diaz, and of course.... Nick Saban. Saban seems to trust him a lot since Robinson will be coaching up two position groups this season, he's done a good job with the corners in his first season with Alabama, he's also been a great recruiter for us as well. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see him get the job. Bala, in my opinion, is the least likely of the two to get the nod for the job as of now, he's entering his first season as the ILB's coach, and I'm excited to see what he can do with the group. If he can get 2-3 seasons in, and show he can develop linebackers who are all Americans yearly, maybe a Butkus winner or two, and has frequent 1st and 2nd round draft picks at his position, he could get the get the job. He's also shown he's gonna be a strong recruiter for us as well, he's been putting in work since he got here, and has landed some good talent already. There's also off chance candidates like Aranda, or Venables if they get fired before Steele retires, or is let go. I do not expect either of those programs to fire them, but you never know. Go ahead and cross Schumann out, he seemingly turned us down already, so the only way he comes here is if it's for the Head coaching job, same with Leonhard. There's gonna be a good deal of candidates if/when Steele retires after this season, just a topic I wanted to discuss.

Steele probably “calls the dogs” in 2-3 seasons. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Saban went ahead and hired Pruitt as an analyst this season and “bites the bullet” with him being suspended. If Saban was as close to hiring him this Spring, what would stop him now? NCAA really has no teeth and even with the “show cause”, Saban has ultimate control and would keep tight reigns on him.

Steele probably “calls the dogs” in 2-3 seasons. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Saban went ahead and hired Pruitt as an analyst this season and “bites the bullet” with him being suspended. If Saban was as close to hiring him this Spring, what would stop him now? NCAA really has no teeth and even with the “show cause”, Saban has ultimate control and would keep tight reigns on him.
Completely agree, again.... I want his ass here at our program as soon as possible. Only reason I say it may not happen is because Saban may not feels the risk is higher than the reward, although the reward would be pretty damn high. He's been known to give coaches, and players second chances his entire career... I hope it continues with Pruitt.

And like I've said before, who better to keep a leash on Pruitt, and watch over him, than Nick Saban? He'd be watching him like a hawk.

If Saban wins “the big one” another time or two… we better worry about replacing him… he will go out on top..
Maybe. I'd be more concerned with us dropping off in production each season under him, that's when I think he'd retire early. He's stayed before that if he feels he's a detriment to the team he'd step down. I certainly don't see that happening, so yeah, he may win 2-3 more then call it there. Hope not, but we'll see.

My company has what some call the "bus" scenario. All leaders choose one or two other candidates who we would use to replace us if for tomorrow one of us were hit by a bus. If that person isn't currently within the company, then we start thinking about hiring that person to get them up to speed, but usually only at the more critical positions. I can't imagine Saban not thinking about a strategy such as that, with him being one of the ultimate CEO's.

Back
Top Bottom