| FTBL When is the Pete Golding experiment going to end?

I agree with most that Golding isn’t that great and we could do better as far as in game adjustments. How many times can you get burned on the same stacked wr formation? Move the safety over the top instead of being primary and stick a corner on him. I don’t care if you have to invent a new formation the 2-2-7 to stop their wr’s from busting big plays vertically. I would have sold out to stop the pass. Put Dallas and Anderson in along with our quickest DL, rushed those 4 and put everyone else in coverage except for mixing in some exotic blitzes which Pruitt used to love to do. Man, I miss that. They busted some big plays vertically last year also. You would think the defense would have been better prepared.

As far as offense, Billy Bob O’Brien doesn’t make adjustments either very often. Plus he doesn’t scheme to get his playmakers in space to get them open. The elite WRs that can do it themselves aren’t here. They need help. Sark & Kiffin did it so well by moving them around and putting them in space. Billy Bob relies on them to beat their man on their own and get separation. It’s just so typical 2000s NFL vanilla offense.

Now based on the individuals we have on staff as analysts would you be ok with Todd Grantham as DC and Derek Dooley as OC in 2023? I could just see it happening. I think we could do better obviously but honestly I think I would take it over what we have right now.

I agree with most that Golding isn’t that great and we could do better as far as in game adjustments. How many times can you get burned on the same stacked wr formation? Move the safety over the top instead of being primary and stick a corner on him. I don’t care if you have to invent a new formation the 2-2-7 to stop their wr’s from busting big plays vertically. I would have sold out to stop the pass. Put Dallas and Anderson in along with our quickest DL, rushed those 4 and put everyone else in coverage except for mixing in some exotic blitzes which Pruitt used to love to do. Man, I miss that. They busted some big plays vertically last year also. You would think the defense would have been better prepared.

As far as offense, Billy Bob O’Brien doesn’t make adjustments either very often. Plus he doesn’t scheme to get his playmakers in space to get them open. The elite WRs that can do it themselves aren’t here. They need help. Sark & Kiffin did it so well by moving them around and putting them in space. Billy Bob relies on them to beat their man on their own and get separation. It’s just so typical 2000s NFL vanilla offense.

Now based on the individuals we have on staff as analysts would you be ok with Todd Grantham as DC and Derek Dooley as OC in 2023? I could just see it happening. I think we could do better obviously but honestly I think I would take it over what we have right now.

I keep hearing that BoB doesn't get guys open, yet I saw guys open all game for Bryce to throw to.

Folks romanticize Kiffin a lot during his Bama run, but he put out some of the worst gameplans and called some of the worst games in recent memory. He had absolute stinkers all 3 of his seasons as OC, and finished his time at OC with one of the worst called games ever in the playoff vs. Washington. Glad he's matured as a HC since then.

Todd Grantham has had some bad runs as a DC later in his career. Pass. What about Geoff Collins?

Not sure on Dooley as OC - BoB is moving on regardless, so someone new will be at OC next year.

We can pinpoint individual plays for every game. Real improvement is going to come from root cause analyses, and our root causes ultimately fall on our coordinators, which the fact they are still here is on Saban. For that entire game we had no answer to Hendon Hooker and Jalin Hyatt, and as Terrell Lewis pointed out, PG kept having Anderson, Turner and Braswell dropping back into coverage. I'm sure he thought he was being clever, but that's just plain stupid knowing what UT's strength's are. And, BOB... well, we all look at the total points for each game and say, he's got the offense scoring, but it's the wasted playcalls during the game and some of his baffling decisions. I guess what I'm getting at is: If Sark or even Kiffin were calling the offense, do we drop 60+ on them and win comfortably?

Here is something to think about: When Kirby was our DC he was the hottest coaching name in the country. Everyone wanted him, but he was holding out for Ga so he declined every opportunity. Then when Pruitt was the DC he was the hottest coaching name in the country and he eventually went to UCheat. Golding has been the DC for 3 years, and at no time has his name ever been mentioned in connection with a Head Coach or DC position. Literally no one wants him. That should tell you something right there.

I keep hearing that BoB doesn't get guys open, yet I saw guys open all game for Bryce to throw to.

Folks romanticize Kiffin a lot during his Bama run, but he put out some of the worst gameplans and called some of the worst games in recent memory. He had absolute stinkers all 3 of his seasons as OC, and finished his time at OC with one of the worst called games ever in the playoff vs. Washington. Glad he's matured as a HC since then.

Todd Grantham has had some bad runs as a DC later in his career. Pass. What about Geoff Collins?

Not sure on Dooley as OC - BoB is moving on regardless, so someone new will be at OC next year.
Golding isn't going nowhere.

We can pinpoint individual plays for every game. Real improvement is going to come from root cause analyses, and our root causes ultimately fall on our coordinators, which the fact they are still here is on Saban. For that entire game we had no answer to Hendon Hooker and Jalin Hyatt, and as Terrell Lewis pointed out, we actually had

I'd be curious as to what games you thought were stinkers under Kiffin. Washington was ranked #8 in defense that year, perhaps that had a little to do with it.

One of the things I liked most about Kiffin was his skill and ability to make adjustments, not just at half-time but on the fly during the game. He was also the first (and basically single-handedly) brought Saban's offense into the modern age, which dramatically impacted not only the offense but the recruiting for skill positions culminating in the 2017 class.

Here is something to think about: When Kirby was our DC he was the hottest coaching name in the country. Everyone wanted him, but he was holding out for Ga so he declined every opportunity. Then when Pruitt was the DC he was the hottest coaching name in the country and he eventually went to UCheat. Golding has been the DC for 3 years, and at no time has his name ever been mentioned in connection with a Head Coach or DC position. Literally no one wants him. That should tell you something right there.
Pete Golding is the Doug Nussmeier of Alabama DCs. A relatively decent coordinator at best, but mostly average for the most part. With the talent Alabama has, it is inexcusable to give up 52 points. Here will be a good litmus test for Saban: If Tennessee doesn't score more than 21 points against UGA, you'll know that you have a legitimate coaching issue on defense.

I do not foresee Alabama making it to the SEC Championship game this year. I don't think they have the tools to make it past Ole Miss in Oxford.

It’s Brice. He’s the best qb in the country. Look at the box score…9 different receivers. I’m saying Billy Bob doesn’t put his play makers in space like Sark & Kiffin & even Daboll did to a certain extent.
The wr’s are getting better on their own as well as the season progresses.

I think Kiffin’s stinkers had more to do with the limited throwing ability of Blake Sims & Jalen Hurts but yeah sometimes he got pass happy on occasion. He never baffled me calling 4 straight pass plays from inside the 5 like Billy Bob though.

Dooley and Grantham wouldn’t be my 1st, 2nd or 6th choices but I could see Saban sliding them into the role. I was just curious on opinions. I do think Grantham is better than Golding. Dooley was decent as OC at Mizzou. His balance was impressive but I was at the game in 2018.
I think the jury is still out on Collins as DC but I thought he did a decent job at Miss St.

It would be nice to get a proven DC but who knows if that will happen and if he will be able to implement tweaks.

Give me 5 guys you can replace Golding with?

Here's a catch: you can't say Jimmy Lake, Glen from Georgia. Jeremy Pruitt. , Tood graham. Give me five guys you can think of that's in NFL or college that can excel under Saban?
This is an excellent question…I’m not a Golding fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I don’t know who would be better. He’s one hell of a recruiter, but if he can’t coach his defense and call a good game, the 5* players won’t be able to overcome other very talented teams because they get out coached.

Anybody got their ear to the ground on up and coming defensive coaches?

This is an excellent question…I’m not a Golding fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I don’t know who would be better. He’s one hell of a recruiter, but if he can’t coach his defense and call a good game, the 5* players won’t be able to overcome other very talented teams because they get out coached.

Anybody got their ear to the ground on up and coming defensive coaches?
Bunch on RTB ....

Pete Golding is the Doug Nussmeier of Alabama DCs. A relatively decent coordinator at best, but mostly average for the most part. With the talent Alabama has, it is inexcusable to give up 52 points. Here will be a good litmus test for Saban: If Tennessee doesn't score more than 21 points against UGA, you'll know that you have a legitimate coaching issue on defense.

I do not foresee Alabama making it to the SEC Championship game this year. I don't think they have the tools to make it past Ole Miss in Oxford.

21? Atleast give it 28, that's still a three touchdown difference. Missouri scored 22 on them, as did Kent State. If they can hold Tennessee to aroung 50-60% of their average it's a huge success. Will be fun to see.

I read an account of what Bama (Nick/Pete/Staff) planned for the UT offense and that was they were concerned with Hooker running the ball. So they selected the mush rush to keep him in the pocket and hoped we would have success with their run game. 31 and 15 were doing what they were asked but we failed to really stop them running and having success. We know how the secondary performed.

JMO but (in college) the deal is to get pressure on the QB as quick as possible to take him out of his comfort zone and in doing so you have to expect some big plays from the QB. If you allow them to stand and view the field without pressure, then good luck with that.

The Hurry UP is an offense that has given Nick/Kirby/Pruitt/Pete Major problems for years even when Bama had elite players at most spots on defense.

I read an account of what Bama (Nick/Pete/Staff) planned for the UT offense and that was they were concerned with Hooker running the ball. So they selected the mush rush to keep him in the pocket and hoped we would have success with their run game. 31 and 15 were doing what they were asked but we failed to really stop them running and having success. We know how the secondary performed.

JMO but (in college) the deal is to get pressure on the QB as quick as possible to take him out of his comfort zone and in doing so you have to expect some big plays from the QB. If you allow them to stand and view the field without pressure, then good luck with that.

The Hurry UP is an offense that has given Nick/Kirby/Pruitt/Pete Major problems for years even when Bama had elite players at most spots on defense.

You hit the nail on the head. Getting pressure is absolutely key in college football. We took our biggest advantage away from our defense, and we took the tools out of the hands of our best players. William Anderson and Dallas Turner are non-stop rushing motors, not drop into coverage sit and wait kind of guys. When you handcuff them, you really are dropping what makes us Alabama and different than everyone. Golding and Saban basically made us average by taking away the edge we have on our defense. Brilliant.

What I can't understand is why you don't make an adjustment? Why was nothing different tried? I look at how we played Clemson in that first Natty game between us how we made adjustments to Watson when he started running all over us. We put in Rashaan Evans and Da'Shawn Hand to combat that with their speed and it held them off enough for us to win. I saw ZERO of that last Saturday. That's not a player issue, that's a coaching/playcalling issue.

Give me 5 guys you can replace Golding with?

Here's a catch: you can't say Jimmy Lake, Glen from Georgia. Jeremy Pruitt. , Tood graham. Give me five guys you can think of that's in NFL or college that can excel under Saban?

Why do I need to give you 5? I'm not doing the hiring. Saban has the deepest network in football, and knows what he wants.

Geoff Collins is now available. That would make some sense.

If I were Saban, I'd make Ryan Walters the highest paid DC in the country and hire him from Illinois.

We can pinpoint individual plays for every game. Real improvement is going to come from root cause analyses, and our root causes ultimately fall on our coordinators, which the fact they are still here is on Saban. For that entire game we had no answer to Hendon Hooker and Jalin Hyatt, and as Terrell Lewis pointed out, we actually had

I'd be curious as to what games you thought were stinkers under Kiffin. Washington was ranked #8 in defense that year, perhaps that had a little to do with it.

One of the things I liked most about Kiffin was his skill and ability to make adjustments, not just at half-time but on the fly during the game. He was also the first (and basically single-handedly) brought Saban's offense into the modern age, which dramatically impacted not only the offense but the recruiting for skill positions culminating in the 2017 class.

Kiffin definitely revolutionized the Alabama offense and Alabama program. It changed the trajectory of the program as CFB was moving towards an offensive game, and you have to score to win these days.

But he put out a lot of turds. He also put out some amazing games. Lots of peaks and valleys.

In 2014, he had 2 consecutive stinkers vs. Ole Miss and then at Arkansas. 227 total yards vs Arkansas - 66 rushing. That's with Yeldon and Derrick Henry. That's atrocious. But after that, they got things cooking. The rest of the season was awfully good offensively, outside of another bad night in Baton Rouge (that's happened before and since). Then in the playoff Lane got cute and stopped feeding Derrick Henry the ball and that game ended in a loss.

2015 they rode Henry to a 1 loss regular season after not knowing what to do at QB and a disastrous game vs. OM.

2016 just leaves a bad taste in my mouth as Lane was immature and put out a turd performance vs. Washington (thank you Bo Scarb, and the best D of all time). Then Saban had to get rid of him, install Sark - and Sark couldn't get a single first down for most of the second half (Jalen's TD scramble on a pass play didn't technically count as a first down). Wasted what was IMO Saban's best team.

JMO

Back
Top Bottom