| FTBL When is the Pete Golding experiment going to end?

I do know there are different levels of competition in football and all sports. Miss State is not too far away from being a pretty good team. But
certainly not at the level of Tenn, Ga, US and some others in the SEC. They do not have the talent top to bottom. I was more thinking that our DB's were sticking closer to their man and playing the ball better and not playing the man and drawing PI call every other down. Their coverage looked cleaner. Though, there were 2 PI calls in the 4'th I believe. Also, I don't remember any off side calls 0n the DL or any face mask calls and no stupid Personal Fouls. I was talking Technique more than anything but also game planning against Miss State. IMHO, the defensive game plan for Tenn sucked and many of our defenders played with poor technique. It looked somewhat like our defense against Tenn, we were playing an almost scared, un - aggressive not to lose defense, instead of a get after them, with an aggressive as hell attitude. Tenn had our defense between a rock and a hard place all game long. Win or lose, hell or high water, you cannot play a passive defense against the better teams and your players better be using correct techniques in coverage and in your front 7.
I do think our coverage was a little better but I also know, just like the coaches that Rogers was no threat running the ball and they dont have a WR that's a deep threat...makes your coaching look a lot better when you dont have to worry about either of those.

A better stat may be how we have done against the better competition and remove the outlier teams. Sorry but a D that gives up 52 points against anyone has a lot of room for improvement.
True. Against everyone, including the 52 UT dropped on us, we're still giving up just over 16 a game. Room for improvement, yes, but not terrible.

I do think our coverage was a little better but I also know, just like the coaches that Rogers was no threat running the ball and they dont have a WR that's a deep threat...makes your coaching look a lot better when you dont have to worry about either of those.
Against Miss State, the defense played cleaner with fewer mistakes and penalties than most every game this season, and with what appeared to be pretty good game plan. Did Pete Really devise that plan and make all the calls as he is being credited for? How did Pete get the DC job to begin with? Making the calls for Tosh as TerryP and maybe others have said in the past? It was probably easier to make some calls for Tosh when he wasn't in charge of the D. But when it is all on His shoulders, he has not proven himself to me. But hey, I am only in charge of myself. My opinion just don't matter, wouldn't make a hill of beans, like my Dad used to say.

I was at the game. If you think you are going to consistently stop the run with 1-2 DL & 2 outside backers you are full of shit & don’t know much about football.
The defensive scheme was to stop the pass & prevent scoring. It worked. Some of you guys are like Weeb Eubank - Art Donovan said Weeb would rather have a good “weigh-in” than he would win the game.
But they DIDN'T stop the pass.

MSU ran 87 plays on us. That's a lot of ball movement. And yes, they actually DID have more total offense than us.

The scoreboard is not indicative of how mediocre our defense
There was never a question of whether they gained more than us.

We allowed about 3.4 yards per play. If we did that every week, we'd lead the nation.

We gave up 62 rushing yards. If we did that every week, we'd be second in the nation.

We gave up six points (on the last play of the game after the offense could not close out the game). If we did that every week, we'd be first, instead of 12th, averaging just over 16 points a game.

As has been noted in other posts, plus my quotes from both coaches, we were short DL in this game, MSU took some advantage early, and that was it.

If you think our defensive performance was mediocre, then I completely agree with you that the scoreboard, along with none of the other statistics, provide any support to your view.

Bruh, you're really hanging your hat on this?

We may as well have been playing San Jose State.

The talent level of MSU is nowhere near that of Tennessee, or even Arkansas.

Plus, we were playing against a coach that went for it on 4th down...AT HIS OWN 30 FOOKN YARD LINE.

Calling this a corner turned with an impressive defensive outing is like saying you're the coolest kid on the short bus.

This is NOT a game or a team to gauge a solid defensive performance by.

But keep referencing your box score.

But they DIDN'T stop the pass.

MSU ran 87 plays on us. That's a lot of ball movement. And yes, they actually DID have more total offense than us.

The scoreboard is not indicative of how mediocre our defense

Bruh, you're really hanging your hat on this?

We may as well have been playing San Jose State.

The talent level of MSU is nowhere near that of Tennessee, or even Arkansas.

Plus, we were playing against a coach that went for it on 4th down...AT HIS OWN 30 FOOKN YARD LINE.

Calling this a corner turned with an impressive defensive outing is like saying you're the coolest kid on the short bus.

This is NOT a game or a team to gauge a solid defensive performance by.

But keep referencing your box score.
I never said we've turned a corner, but you're kidding yourself if you believe it wasn't a solid performance. Every week is not a game of the century against an equal or superior opponent. I never said we played a team with equal or better talent. Yes, a coach with a predilection to go on fourth down, is in itself another snap to defend on defense - six of them. They schemed and executed a plan to keep the ball in front of them, force the dink and dunk, and came within a play of a shutout. At the end, the offense did not hold up their end. The defense put in their shift and did what they needed to do to make this a comfortable game to watch. That's it.

True. Against everyone, including the 52 UT dropped on us, we're still giving up just over 16 a game. Room for improvement, yes, but not terrible.

That's also showing games against Utah State, Vanderbilt, and Louisiana Monroe. That's 0, 7, and 3 points. Holding Mississippi State to 6 points was 110% fine by me, but the 16 point a game stat isn't anything to be proud of when looking at half the teams we played.

That's also showing games against Utah State, Vanderbilt, and Louisiana Monroe. That's 0, 7, and 3 points. Holding Mississippi State to 6 points was 110% fine by me, but the 16 point a game stat isn't anything to be proud of when looking at half the teams we played.
Right. See where we are after next 2. If we are still at 16 a game. Buy ur tickets for Atlanta

Back
Top Bottom