| FTBL When is the Pete Golding experiment going to end?

Coach Saban fired a shot at Pete Golding last night.

Need to see the full context of that comment. I have a feeling something is missing. CNS coached teams are usually the best prepared team on the field and have prepare and practice everything. Saying they did not know how to defend a basic formation makes no sense. Need more context. I suspect the context was that they have played so many spread offenses that the I is not seen much anymore so they have practiced very little against it. I will go watch the full video.

Ricks made a big difference from the jump. Hopefully Harrell can get up to speed over these next two weeks at take a starting spot. Lord knows we need a lead dog receiver because we sure as hell aren't getting anything from 3,11,81. Hell everybody in the SEC has a TE that can play but us. It's almost like a disease after the Billingsley deal. Latu couldn't block his shadow.

There isn’t one thing bad anybody can say about CPG tonight. This was an excellent game by the defense

Ricks' play was a contributing factor, as was Branch, and even Hellams. That isn't Golding. They were running the ball against us and if Leach kicked field goals it's potentially a different game, because they drove the field and outgained us. Add that on topmof their receiver dropping that touchdown pass in the endzone, it could have been a different game if Mississippi State doesn't shoot itself in the foot. NOW, I do love the consistent pressure he sent all game. I mean, you'd have to be an idiot to not send pressure after last weekend. I'm still concerned, but we played better in all units tonight.

Ricks' play was a contributing factor, as was Branch, and even Hellams. That isn't Golding. They were running the ball against us and if Leach kicked field goals it's potentially a different game, because they drove the field and outgained us. Add that on topmof their receiver dropping that touchdown pass in the endzone, it could have been a different game if Mississippi State doesn't shoot itself in the foot. NOW, I do love the consistent pressure he sent all game. I mean, you'd have to be an idiot to not send pressure after last weekend. I'm still concerned, but we played better in all units tonight.
I think you wouldn’t give him credit no matter what. The defense was damn good tonight and if somebody doesn’t think so then they’re just being negative because they want to be

I think you wouldn’t give him credit no matter what. The defense was damn good tonight and if somebody doesn’t think so then they’re just being negative because they want to be

You also said last week it wasn't his fault, but this week it was his good job? So last week it was the players fault for giving up 51, but this week it's not their good job that allowed 6? It's not being negative, it's simply taking what you said last week and applying that to this week. It's your waffling that is changing.

Last edited:
Not sure what’s going on with our DBs. They hardly ever even look for the ball. There were A LOT of Rogers’ throws that could have been picked if they had just turned their heads…especially Kool-Aid…

We got out-gained and they had several drops.

All of this is defensive coaching…

The rushers had a hell of a game, as did Ricks, but a better QB and receivers (aka Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss) may have had different outcomes.

Not sure what’s going on with our DBs. They hardly ever even look for the ball. There were A LOT of Rogers’ throws that could have been picked if they had just turned their heads…especially Kool-Aid…

We got out-gained and they had several drops.

All of this is defensive coaching…

The rushers had a hell of a game, as did Ricks, but a better QB and receivers (aka Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss) may have had different outcomes.
It's Saban's teaching that the DBs never turn their heads to locate the ball. They want to blanket the receiver and watch their eyes. I believe Kirby teaches this too

And bama had more discipline....
Who would have thought it if you play with more discipline results turn out much different :).

All the hand ringing going on when in reality focus on cleaning these things up and things will turn around. Bama players, coaches and even coordinators are good but there is a limit to how much you can ask a team to over come. We found that limit against the Viles.

One decent defensive game against a slightly better than mediocre offense does not wash away the sins of the entire cluster of a season against better offenses.

Rember, the MSU pirates were gashing us for most of the first half, despite their inability to score.

MSU had better total offense than us, for crying out loud.

Not buying the snake oil.

Who would have thought it if you play with more discipline results turn out much different :).

All the hand ringing going on when in reality focus on cleaning these things up and things will turn around. Bama players, coaches and even coordinators are good but there is a limit to how much you can ask a team to over come. We found that limit against the Viles.
But @Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

Maybe a building block?
Not saying yeah or nay. Just maybe

Will u buy that?

Sure see in 2 weeks!!!!

One decent defensive game against a slightly better than mediocre offense does not wash away the sins of the entire cluster of a season against better offenses.

Rember, the MSU pirates were gashing us for most of the first half, despite their inability to score.

MSU had better total offense than us, for crying out loud.

Not buying the snake oil.

You may still not believe we have a decent DC, that's fine, but your stats are screwed up, and I'm not sure how you believe MSU has a better offense than us. If you truly believe that, then holding them to 293 total yards, including 78 yards and the only six points given up at garbage time is a great job. That Bama couldn't force their will and run the ball to close the game out is not on the defense. We run the ball and the last 3:58 of garbage time doesn't happen. In the second half, they punted three times, turned it over on downs, and had the last drive to end the game.

As both Saban (we were set up to stop the pass and they took advantage of it) and Leach ("they were giving it to us") noted, we had personnel in at the beginning of the game, for the first three drives (truly much of the game), asking them to run, so they did - and they managed to have the first three drives stall out after respective totals of nine yards (punt), 57 yards (downs) and 39 yards (missed FG). They threw the ball 61 times, and were held to 231 yards passing. Yeah, they also managed 62 yards on the ground on 26 attempts.

I know it's fashionable to pile on both coordinators. This week, the game plan to prioritize pass D over rush D worked. Last week, seeking to contain the UT QB in the pocket did not work.

Sorry for the interruption.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom