| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facts, are facts. DTO is a legitimate concern. Otherwise, you're complaining about a top five defense. Just like y'all were last year where they finished sixth.

But not a damn peep when they finished outside the top 20 in 2020.

He's led the Bama defense to a top five finish every season he's been at the helm. But, "fahr Pete."

View attachment 22630
Ok. He is the greatest.....
Guess you havent watched every game.....

But hey...nick agrees...."..he has done a really really good job". 2 reallys in there

But its nick show.....and we all should respect that......

Last edited:
Facts, are facts. DTO is a legitimate concern. Otherwise, you're complaining about a top five defense. Just like y'all were last year where they finished sixth.

He's led the Bama defense to a top five finish every season he's been at the helm. But, "fahr Pete."

View attachment 22630
Uh, Golding definitely received a lot of heat during 2020. Specifically after the A&M, Ole Miss, and Florida games where the defense was on its heels most of the game, until the offense put the game away. Granted, those were really good offenses, but he was outschemed badly. And Alabama did not finish in the top 5 in 2019. Why are we omitting that year? Because of injuries? Alabama dealt with injuries in 2017 and still finished better than any defense Golding has ever put together.

I simply don't understand how after this year's performance that we don't make a change. His stunts and blitz packages are average at best. Alabama's rush D has suffered the worst since he took over.

View attachment 22630
Ha... I get a kick out of these discussions and the back and forth between us fans. I commend you Terry for the restraint from "banning" us all, unlike another unspoken site. Thank you, sir, for these opportunities. :)(y)

View attachment 22630
This is a reason I don't like fans who are strictly stat watchers and not watch the film. The last three seasons we've had the same glaring problems, we've struggled with rushing the QB with an organic pass rush, we really seem to only be able to get a sack or decent enough pressure when we dial up a blitz from the second or third level of the field. For it to be organic pass rush, it usually takes one guy to have a great game, like Anderson or Byron Young had against Ole miss, which is great.... but if a team is able to take him out of the game, then what? Inside backers have been inconsistent as well, they'll have games like against Texas where they play really good, fill their gaps and not overrun plays, taking on blocks by being violent with their hands, keeping their hips and shoulders square, keeping their eyes up to see where the ball carrier is, and shedding off to make a play. And then there are games like Tennessee, or LSU, or Georgia in the national championship where we need them to be physical and stop the run to make them one dimensional. Third down defense has been bad, and RedZone defense has been bad. Those are two very important stats, and we haven't been on the positive side. Secondary is a whole other thing, everyone sees that, so there's no point in talking about it. My main gripe is that we've been too inconsistent, we never seem to clean up those mistakes, instead they stay the same and keep being an issue, or they regress. It's incredibly frustrating.

I complained about the D a good bit in 2020 but was often met with a rebuttal of “we score so fast our D doesn’t have time to rest”, and, “the opponent gets more possessions and therefore opportunities to score because we score so fast and so often”.

I don’t think our D has been awful all season, but we’ve had our struggles, no doubt about it. I contend the offense has been the weaker link. We’re down over 4 points per game in scoring this year versus 2021 (through 11 games). Those 4 points would have come in handy in the 2 losses!

Total points through 11 games:
2022 - 440
2021 - 487
2020 - 556

Bama defense has been good not great. At Bama it should be great. An offense should struggle because they are overpowered. This is not what is happening and it has been awhile since it has.

Harold Perkins or Smael Mondon
Who are these guys?

Bama defense has been good not great. At Bama it should be great. An offense should struggle because they are overpowered. This is not what is happening and it has been awhile since it has.

Who are these guys?
LSU linebacker. Perkins. Georgia linebacker, Mondon.

This is a reason I don't like fans who are strictly stat watchers and not watch the film

Third down defense has been bad, and RedZone defense has been bad. Those are two very important stats, and we haven't been on the positive side.
An interesting juxtaposition here.

Out of 131 teams this season Bama is ranked #12 in the nation in opponent third down conversions and 13th in the nation in opponent red zone conversions.

Regardless of stats, Kirby's defense is aggressive and plays to win, plays to set the tone and set the action. Our defense is reactive, it plays not to lose, it is lower on aggression and this bites us in the ass too often at critical moments. It's like a prevent defense at all times, bend don't break. When your defense plays like that as a standard, you can't just "turn on" aggression and power life a faucet when you really need it.

Regardless of stats, Kirby's defense is aggressive and plays to win, plays to set the tone and set the action. Our defense is reactive, it plays not to lose, it is lower on aggression and this bites us in the ass too often at critical moments. It's like a prevent defense at all times, bend don't break. When your defense plays like that as a standard, you can't just "turn on" aggression and power life a faucet when you really need it.
You can’t just ignore what the stats say. I’m not defending Golding or anybody else, but irregardless if we as fans like the way the defense looks on the tv the stats say something

I think one of the biggest problems here is we, as fans all ate the rat poison that was abundant in the pre-season and our expectations were super high. There are real problems, like leading the nation in penalties, that demonstrate an issue with discipline (and that can be a coaching issue and it can also be a character issue.) We have a talented team, but I'm not sure we have a cohesive team. Offensively, play calling has been an issue along with lack of execution at critical times.

Stats don't tell the story because Alabama, like most teams, pads their stats against really bad teams. Bama has faced 2 elite offenses this year and 2 really good offenses, and the defense did not play well against 3 of them. Arkansas rolled up 377 yards against us. Not great but still pretty good. Texas would have scored 40 on us if Ewers hadn't gotten hurt. As it was they rolled up almost 300 with a backup. Everyone knows what Tennessee did to us. The only great offense we slowed down was Ole Miss, and that's because Lane shoots himself in the foot by going for it in his own territory. Bama pitches shutouts against Utah State, Austin Peay and Vandy and teams like that. That's where they pad their stats. I have no doubt that Ohio St, USC(west), and Michigan would all hang a minimum of 35 on our defense. USC might hang 50.

An interesting juxtaposition here.

Out of 131 teams this season Bama is ranked #12 in the nation in opponent third down conversions and 13th in the nation in opponent red zone conversions.
And what good does that do us when we can't get a stop during the most crucial plays of the game? We had LSU held to third down twice, if we would've got a stop on either of those plays, we would've won the game. Same goes for the Tennessee game. Should've clarified that. Stats can be a deceiving thing when that's all you look at.

You can’t just ignore what the stats say. I’m not defending Golding or anybody else, but irregardless if we as fans like the way the defense looks on the tv the stats say something
Sure they say something.....CFOs make their living making sure they say what
The boss wants to hear....

Had some crap teams to boost up stats on....and bama has near full nfl level talent.....
But so many breakdowns...

It matters when you look at how those stats were captured. Who cares if we dominate Austin Peay, Utah State, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State. I'm concerned with the stats against the upper level opponents that can keep us from advancing to the Playoff like Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, and Georgia. Those stats we are being fed on here are simply because of what happened against inferior teams.

And what good does that do us when we can't get a stop during the most crucial plays of the game? We had LSU held to third down twice, if we would've got a stop on either of those plays, we would've won the game. Same goes for the Tennessee game. Should've clarified that. Stats can be a deceiving thing when that's all you look at.
Did we get screwed by Refs in both game? A Pass Intereference call and a dumb play in LSU?

Did we get screwed by Refs in both game? A Pass Intereference call and a dumb play in LSU?
I know which plays you're talking about, and regardless to whether or not that's true.... Still had an abundance of opportunities to hold them on third and couldn't. And a reason for a some if those is because of Golding's playcalling. 3rd&long and we send a blitz without making sure every area of the field is covered. And it's usually the middle of the field where they're able to convert. Which is incredibly frustrating because when it's 3rd&long, we're in our dime package. We have six fucking DB's on the field and can't muster up a player to cover that area of the field?You can fill that zone with a safety or the $ player, or even the * . Once again, really really frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom