| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes it a lateral move for him? He's be getting more money than he's making now, Georgia could match it, but they're paying Muschamp the same amount of money that Schumann is making. Which is stupid. It's his Alma mater, and it be a seamless transition since Alabama and Georgia run the exact same defensive system. I at least want to try to get him, I'd be more pissed off if we didn't.

Going to the same position at another college. Most college coaches do not do this.

Going to the same position at another college. Most college coaches do not do this.

I get that part. But, he'd be making more money, with full control of the defense. Once again, Georgia could match it, but they'd have to give Muschamp a raise or else he'll probably leave. Its honestly up to him, I think we'd have a good chance of getting him to leave since he's pretty much a Bama legacy. His dad played for Bear, he grew up an Alabama fan, and graduated and started his career at Alabama. But if/when we go after him, need to throw him some money so he has that extra incentive to leave.

That was a big play....

Seems every year we have 1-2-3 of these D games where we just ...play like that...then...there are a few we do well on D...

Confusing
That's my main problem with golding, usually good defensive teams have a few of those games early on in the season, then as we get deeper and deeper into the season they get better and better and get those things cleaned up. That's not what Alabama has done the last 3-4 seasons. It's frustrating.

I get that part. But, he'd be making more money, with full control of the defense. Once again, Georgia could match it, but they'd have to give Muschamp a raise or else he'll probably leave. Its honestly up to him, I think we'd have a good chance of getting him to leave since he's pretty much a Bama legacy. His dad played for Bear, he grew up an Alabama fan, and graduated and started his career at Alabama. But if/when we go after him, need to throw him some money so he has that extra incentive to leave.
Ill take Muschamp. Damn

Golding isn't a good coordinator, he makes some of the stupidest calls during key downs. Like against Tennessee, it was 3rd&long, he calls a blitz that involves both of the inside backers, I don't mind being aggressive and trying to disrupt the QB. But if you dial up that kind of blitz, make sure every area if the field is covered. I mean for Christ sake we were in dime and had an extra DB in the field, there's no excuse for it. They ended up getting a big first down and I believe went to score (which happened a lot).

Only thing I can tell you for sure is, other coaches view him completely differently than fans do. He would be a hot commodity on the open market. I agree that there has been a lot of head scratching calls as well as lack of adjustments... but it's worth mentioning that Saban's thumb is on those buttons too. I feel part of the reason he gets so much hate though is because we were spoiled with truly elite DC that preceded him in Kirby and Pruitt. Tosh had his chance but turned out to be a disaster, a worse situation than Golding. But I also remember even Kirby and Pruitt catching hell from fans after some games, albeit not to the extent it has gotten with Golding.

Re: Muschamp... he's much more likely to end up as DC at auburn than Alabama right now... they have some boosters begging for him to be brought back to run the defense, regardless of who their HC ends up being.

Re: Muschamp... he's much more likely to end up as DC at auburn than Alabama right now... they have some boosters begging for him to be brought back to run the defense, regardless of who their HC ends up being.
You just described exactly the problem with aubrun. Boosters getting involved in the coordinator and assistant hirings. That should be enough of a warning for Bama fans to quiet their clamor over second-guessing Saban's hires.

Only thing I can tell you for sure is, other coaches view him completely differently than fans do. He would be a hot commodity on the open market. I agree that there has been a lot of head scratching calls as well as lack of adjustments... but it's worth mentioning that Saban's thumb is on those buttons too. I feel part of the reason he gets so much hate though is because we were spoiled with truly elite DC that preceded him in Kirby and Pruitt. Tosh had his chance but turned out to be a disaster, a worse situation than Golding. But I also remember even Kirby and Pruitt catching hell from fans after some games, albeit not to the extent it has gotten with Golding.
It's pretty telling, to me at least.... that other teams haven't really tried to hire him away. I'm appreciative of the time he's put into the program, but I hope we make a change. I'm sure someone would hire him for the same position, or maybe even get a HC job at a Sunbelt school. Just haven't seen the progression that I hoped. And yeah, Saban has the right to change the play and get involved (I wish he would more with him), but he's letting him get the experience in being a coordinator, just hasn't worked out.

You just described exactly the problem with aubrun. Boosters getting involved in the coordinator and assistant hirings. That should be enough of a warning for Bama fans to quiet their clamor over second-guessing Saban's hires.
Ultimately it doesn't matter what fans think, he doesn't give a shit what you or me say. But he's got former players coming in and telling him their concerns, which are valid. I trust Saban to make the right decision for the team, whether they keep golding or not.

And we know who ever is the HC the boosters will pick at least 1/2 of their staff. We know for sure “the Cadillac” will stay. Question is which guy out there…Kiffin, Freeze, Grimes, etc…will sell his soul to Yellow Wood and his buddies.

It's pretty telling, to me at least.... that other teams haven't really tried to hire him away. I'm appreciative of the time he's put into the program, but I hope we make a change. I'm sure someone would hire him for the same position, or maybe even get a HC job at a Sunbelt school. Just haven't seen the progression that I hoped. And yeah, Saban has the right to change the play and get involved (I wish he would more with him), but he's letting him get the experience in being a coordinator, just hasn't worked out.

Some have, it just doesn't get any press (really no reason for it to).

I completely agree that Saban has given him a long leash and Golding sure seems to have hit his ceiling. I also think if he lands elsewhere and isn't working within Saban's parameters, his defense may look quite a bit different... for better or for worse.

What about Mullen?

Don't see that happening based on the off the field stuff that is going to be asked of him and comments he's made when point blank asked about it recently. But, at one time I also didn't think Saban would bring Kiffin in and give him the offense. I could see Garrett Riley, AJ Milwee, Lebby, Weiss Jr, or Kliff Kingsbury (if fired from AZ and he wants a reset with Saban on his resume), and a wildcard hire like Phil Longo or Freddie Kitchens. It'll probably end up being none of those though....

Some have, it just doesn't get any press (really no reason for it to).

I completely agree that Saban has given him a long leash and Golding sure seems to have hit his ceiling. I also think if he lands elsewhere and isn't working within Saban's parameters, his defense may look quite a bit different... for better or for worse.

Don't see that happening based on the off the field stuff that is going to be asked of him and comments he's made when point blank asked about it recently. But, at one time I also didn't think Saban would bring Kiffin in and give him the offense. I could see Garrett Riley, AJ Milwee, Lebby, Weiss Jr, or Kliff Kingsbury (if fired from AZ and he wants a reset with Saban on his resume), and a wildcard hire like Phil Longo or Freddie Kitchens. It'll probably end up being none of those though....
Only one I can remember off the top of my head was when Sarkisian left for Texas, and his name was brought up for the DC position. Wish he would've taken it. I'm sure someone could use, or really need him at another school. And you're right, he'd run a different style of defense, he may take some ideas and schemes from what he's learned and use it at that school though. And who wouldn't?

Kirk Ferentz is loved by Iowa personnel as well, and they are scoring about 6 points a game. All I'll say is that it's worth a shot with someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom