| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're suggesting the guy on the sidelines prevents the breakdowns? That's on the player(s.) There's a portion of it on Saban's system.
I'm suggesting that the guy on the sidelines isn't communicating his calls very well to his players. And listen, not all of it is on golding. There have been times where the player is in position to make a play and he just whiffs. But, there are other times where it appears to be bad coaching and a bad play call that put them in that position. Well coached teams do not do what we've done this year. I don't see how anyone who watches the film of this defense this season would even consider wanting him back. If he does fine, if not.... fantastic. But expect more of the same next season.

That's Saban's system. It's not Golding.

That's been a weakness of his style since day one. Remember how often guys like Vinnie were beaten? The defense spent A LOT more time in regular back then.
It's Sabans system, but he gives Golding the benefit (wish he wouldn't) to call the plays. Sabans explicitly said this numerous times. And I do not doubt that players were beaten on a play, or maybe a bust even occurred due to miscommunication. But I do remember that not being a constant issue that plagues the team the entire year.

Your criticism is on how the games are won?
Not how they're won, but how many of our games are simply "not lost" - a microcosm of the mentality of this "play not to lose" defensive philosophy that's devoid of any killer instinct or imposition of will and dominance.

How did Tennessee and Arkansas hold LSWho to 13 points in their respective games? Yet LSWho was able to outscore us?

Georgia held UcheaT to a similar baker's dozen. BY-freaking-U held them to 26. Several other teams held UT well below the 52 they hung on us, even in some of UT's wins.

What's on paper just doesn't tell the tale of how mediocre our defense really is.

PG apologists gripe about the players not making plays. When this lack of player development is THAT consistent, it's on the coordinator (and the position coaches, for that matter).

Full stop.

It's Sabans system, but he gives Golding the benefit (wish he wouldn't) to call the plays. Sabans explicitly said this numerous times. And I do not doubt that players were beaten on a play, or maybe a bust even occurred due to miscommunication. But I do remember that not being a constant issue that plagues the team the entire year.
You
Who is thought to be "the guy" Coach Saban wants to be OC ?
Can be anyone.

Gotta wait a while.... if bama gonna hire someone it'll be after signing day

Who is thought to be "the guy" Coach Saban wants to be OC ?

Could keep Golding, or possibly look to lure Schumann away from Kirby. Pruitt's situation is messy, but there's a possibility he get's an off the field position. Almost certainly a few others in play as well, if a change is made.

Could keep Golding, or possibly look to lure Schumann away from Kirby. Pruitt's situation is messy, but there's a possibility he get's an off the field position. Almost certainly a few others in play as well, if a change is made.
If O'Brien gets the Georgia tech job, I hope he pursues Golding to be his DC at Tech. That way we don't have to fire him, not have to pay him the rest of his contract. We then pursue Schumann and make him a deal, we're paying Golding almost $2 million dollars. Get him a job so we can use that money to get Coach Schumann. We could realistically give him $2.5 million dollars (maybe more) right off the bat. Or he takes a head coaching job, I just wish someone would make him some kind of deal like that so he'd leave.

If O'Brien gets the Georgia tech job, I hope he pursues Golding to be his DC at Tech. That way we don't have to fire him, not have to pay him the rest of his contract. We then pursue Schumann and make him a deal, we're paying Golding almost $2 million dollars. Get him a job so we can use that money to get Coach Schumann. We could realistically give him $2.5 million dollars (maybe more) right off the bat. Or he takes a head coaching job, I just wish someone would make him some kind of deal like that so he'd leave.
I’d like to get Schumann, but my feeling is we keep Golding and bring some new defensive coaches

I’d like to get Schumann, but my feeling is we keep Golding and bring some new defensive coaches
Yeah, that's what I fear is probably going to happen. That's I hope some program offers him something to where he has to take it. It's hard to watch this defense regress and players not be fully developed.

I’d like somebody to come in and change things on defense like what happened on offense when Saban hired Kiffin
Schumann would be the guy. Another guy I was looking at was Jim Leonard, but he's about to be the head coach at Wisconsin. Zach Arnett from Mississippi State is another one I was interested in, but scheme wise wouldn't fit with what Saban would want to do. Alabama's defensive scheme now works and has worked, when coached well. Georgia's doing it now, they run pretty much the exact same defense as Alabama. That's another reason I'd like Schumann, be knows the scheme very well and has proven he can run it. It also be a seamless transition considering he wouldn't have to change anything about hiw he runs his defense.

Two somewhat related topics arerecruiting and player development. Looking at the Ohio State team again today … none of Bama’s top 5 receivers could crack the top 5 of Ohio State’s depth chart. And we’re seeing the same type of performances not matching their recruiting status on the O-line and with the DB’s too. Either Bama’s coaches are not evaluating the talent very well or they’re not developing the players very well. I hope this off-season Saban forgoes the commercials and new business ventures and gets Bama ready for another championship run.

Schumann would be the guy. Another guy I was looking at was Jim Leonard, but he's about to be the head coach at Wisconsin. Zach Arnett from Mississippi State is another one I was interested in, but scheme wise wouldn't fit with what Saban would want to do. Alabama's defensive scheme now works and has worked, when coached well. Georgia's doing it now, they run pretty much the exact same defense as Alabama. That's another reason I'd like Schumann, be knows the scheme very well and has proven he can run it. It also be a seamless transition considering he wouldn't have to change anything about hiw he runs his defense.
It needs updated. Kirby’s is working because it was tweaked. But, I’d love to bring Schumann home.

Checking in as Ashford is 6/8 on passing with a TD. But god oh mighty it isn't Golding. It's just a coincidence that QBs just somehow repeatedly have good performances vs our defense. Nope. DC isn't responsible for any of that.

The whole problem with both coordinators showed up late in the 4th quarter. Inexplicably O’Brien calls an empty back set in a situation that didn’t need it leads to INT and Golding calling a timeout before a 4th down attempt and we can’t cover a QB run all the way on top of 12 men on the field. It’s frustrating to behold.

O'brien should be announced in next few days.

Golding is really 50/50.... If we can pull Schumman, we'll let Golding go. But at this point, I think everyone is saying Golding is likely to stay.

So, I'm curious to see who will be the new OC... and will their title be: " QB coach only" or QB/OC? Depending on how he assemble the staff going forward. I think he want to devote extra coach to either TE or ST.

It's time to move on from Pete Golding. The glaring problems with his defense the last 3-4 years have been a consistent hindrance on this team. It's been the same problems as well. Tackling, overrunning plays, ILB's not being physical and playing with good technique, busted coverages, the d-line not resetting the line of scrimmage or being able to create an organic pass rush, just all around bad team defense. At times they play really well, only to then revert back to bad habits. Golding's playcalling and ability to adjust has also been abysmal as well, I've already gone into detail about this before, and if I do it again I might end up having a stroke. Feel free to write your opinions about him, good or bad. Also, who would you want to take over if he does get replaced. Mine is Glenn Schumann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom