| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know which plays you're talking about, and regardless to whether or not that's true.... Still had an abundance of opportunities to hold them on third and couldn't. And a reason for a some if those is because of Golding's playcalling. 3rd&long and we send a blitz without making sure every area of the field is covered. And it's usually the middle of the field where they're able to convert. Which is incredibly frustrating because when it's 3rd&long, we're in our dime package. We have six fucking DB's on the field and can't muster up a player to cover that area of the field?You can fill that zone with a safety or the $ player, or even the * . Once again, really really frustrating.
but at same time, we had opportunity and we acted on it, but we just got short end of the stick. It is what its. we can't just sit here and whine about what the team didn't do this year. WE have a game this saturday. Let's focus on Auburn. Shift all of the energy toward that game. Doesn't do us any good to just sit there and complain about something that already happened.

It matters when you look at how those stats were captured. Who cares if we dominate Austin Peay, Utah State, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State. I'm concerned with the stats against the upper level opponents that can keep us from advancing to the Playoff like Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, and Georgia. Those stats we are being fed on here are simply because of what happened against inferior teams.
We’ve had good defenses since Golding has been here.

Out of 131 teams this season Bama is ranked #12 in the nation in opponent third down conversions and 13th in the nation in opponent red zone conversions.
Why are we measuring ourselves against other teams? Shouldn't we be measuring ourselves to past great Bama Defenses?

We’ve had good defenses since Golding has been here.
The Bama standard demands better than good in my simple way of thinking.

Last point from me, right or wrong how the D plays against the better teams and in crucial situations is how I would filter out the skewed statistics. I do think the fu,ll body of stats tells you something as a statistical average but you have to look at them in different ways to get the full picture.

The eye test and results on the field tell me Bama has been subpar for awhile.

Facts, are facts. DTO is a legitimate concern. Otherwise, you're complaining about a top five defense. Just like y'all were last year where they finished sixth.

But not a damn peep when they finished outside the top 20 in 2020.

He's led the Bama defense to a top five finish every season he's been at the helm. But, "fahr Pete."

View attachment 22630
Terry, I know you're infinitely smarter than this.

What's seen on paper is not what's passing the eye test.

Golding has had the luxury of having a counterpart in the offense in years past that jumps out to such early leads that it FORCES our opponents to become one-dimensional. Yet, every time the rubber meets the road and push collides with shove, there's no killer instinct in this defense. And when the game is on the line, our defense always folds like a dollar store lawn chair.

Most glaring of the sliding trend is the lack of turnovers our defense has been producing under his helm. Once again, no killer instinct. Nobody hawking balls. Do we even practice turnover circuits anymore?

Nearly as important, there are absolutely zero halftime adjustments. Worst blitz package in the Saban era. Same 4 or 5 stunts and twists up front. We have a #1 overall draft pick at Jack LB, and yet he's been largely unproductive statistically compared to his skillset.

So these paper stats are misleading.

What happens on the field, especially this year, is telling a completely different tale.

Last edited:
Regardless of stats, Kirby's defense is aggressive and plays to win, plays to set the tone and set the action. Our defense is reactive, it plays not to lose, it is lower on aggression and this bites us in the ass too often at critical moments. It's like a prevent defense at all times, bend don't break. When your defense plays like that as a standard, you can't just "turn on" aggression and power life a faucet when you really need it.
No one seems to remember "3rd and Kirby." 🤷‍♂️ No one seems to remember Kirby's defensive struggles against mobile quarterbacks. 🤷‍♂️

I complained about the D a good bit in 2020
I'm not calling your you specifically, but I want to point one thing about.

"I complained" is better said, "I fretted."

Complaints, if we're going to use this word, in 2020 all went back to 2019 and Auburn. Was that loss on Golding, or the offenses' inability to operate efficiently? Golding gets the blame. It was Sark's offense, but not his scheme. It was the execution.

Ironically, we didn't see a lot of talk about the '19 LSU loss in the '20 season. When we did see discussion of that game it was always in the context of the offense not operating at 100% (Tua.)

And what good does that do us when we can't get a stop during the most crucial plays of the game? We had LSU held to third down twice, if we would've got a stop on either of those plays, we would've won the game. Same goes for the Tennessee game. Should've clarified that. Stats can be a deceiving thing when that's all you look at.
That wouldn't even be a discussion if there wasn't an interception on the first drive of the game—in the end zone, mind you. That wasn't Pete. That wasn't Bob. That was on Bryce and the players on offense.

On Tennessee:

I look at that game as an outlier. If you're looking for something to define the Tennessee game, I'd suggest you grab your Webster's and look up BYU.

Why do the Cougars see so many winning seasons? They have an advantage of the majority of the teams they play: experience and maturity.

I don't know if you know this, but Hooker is older than the last three quarterbacks we've seen start for the Tide. That resonates through the UT roster: there's a lot of seniority found in their ranks (which will rear its head next season.) When you add in the fact Pruitt did bring some talent in, you've got that experience and maturity in the depth chart, seeing their team go toe to toe with Bama shouldn't be a surprise.

It's a loss, blame Golding. Yet, on the drives where Bama didn't score what happened in all but one? When Will missed the field goal Bama had taken a penalty earlier. On the first drive that ended with a punt, penalties put the Tide behind the chains.

That's player execution, is it not?

I think what irritates us fans so much is the units inability at times to go MIA for various stretches during a game or in some of the most in opportune times.
A coach can train a wide receiver on his cuts to the point even a better player can't defend him.
A coach can put an emphasis on concentration each hour of each practice, every day. But he can't train him to maintain concentration—that's individual responsibility.

Why are we measuring ourselves against other teams? Shouldn't we be measuring ourselves to past great Bama Defenses?
Which measured themselves against other teams? Past defenses are measured on how they did against other teams but we're not supposed to measure other defenses on the same scale?

And here's context again. The defensive style we saw in the first half of Saban's tenure isn't the same defensive style you're seeing now. You don't compare today's quarterbacks with the AJ era, why are there comparisons of the defenses when they have also changed?

That wouldn't even be a discussion if there wasn't an interception on the first drive of the game—in the end zone, mind you. That wasn't Pete. That wasn't Bob. That was on Bryce and the players on offense.

On Tennessee:

I look at that game as an outlier. If you're looking for something to define the Tennessee game, I'd suggest you grab your Webster's and look up BYU.

Why do the Cougars see so many winning seasons? They have an advantage of the majority of the teams they play: experience and maturity.

I don't know if you know this, but Hooker is older than the last three quarterbacks we've seen start for the Tide. That resonates through the UT roster: there's a lot of seniority found in their ranks (which will rear its head next season.) When you add in the fact Pruitt did bring some talent in, you've got that experience and maturity in the depth chart, seeing their team go toe to toe with Bama shouldn't be a surprise.

It's a loss, blame Golding. Yet, on the drives where Bama didn't score what happened in all but one? When Will missed the field goal Bama had taken a penalty earlier. On the first drive that ended with a punt, penalties put the Tide behind the chains.

Experience and maturity? Alabama had 7-8 seniors coming back on this defense, with Will Anderson being a well seasoned junior. And they've played at times like they're all true freshman in their first season starting. These mental mistakes and busts shouldn't be happening with the amount of games all these guys have played, and yet.... it still happens. This was the year that golding had to put it together, had the talent and experience coming back, with a ton of depth at each position. It didn't happen, it's been the same as it has the past two seasons. I'm confident in saying that if you give this defense to a Jeremy Pruitt, or Muschamp, or the guy I want to be the New DC, Glenn Schumann.... that this doesn't happen.

Which measured themselves against other teams? Past defenses are measured on how they did against other teams but we're not supposed to measure other defenses on the same scale?

And here's context again. The defensive style we saw in the first half of Saban's tenure isn't the same defensive style you're seeing now. You don't compare today's quarterbacks with the AJ era, why are there comparisons of the defenses when they have also changed?
Defenses have changed, players are getting leaner to be faster. Linebackers are on average around 225 pounds right now, safeties have leaned down, and so have the D-lineman. Even the base defense has changed, used to be a 3-4, now it's the Mint front, but it still has 3-4 principles, that hasn't changed. Scheme wise, nothings really changed either, besides having to have that 5th DB in the game almost all the time now. There's no excuse for the performances of these defenses the last three years, especially when you look at Georgia and what they've done. They run the exact same thing, with a few differentiating coverage principles. They've had the consistent success of being dominant, Alabama hasn't, it's just been spurts and then regression. It's inexcusable.

No one seems to remember "3rd and Kirby." 🤷‍♂️ No one seems to remember Kirby's defensive struggles against mobile quarterbacks. 🤷‍♂️

Of course we remember. But please show where we lost to inferior teams and had no horsepower. Please show the consistent letdowns, missed assignments, personnel mistakes, and everything else this current defense offers. Good gosh, the offense averages 40 points a game and we have still lost twice. After scoring 49 and 31 points. Last year we lost to a second/third string quarterback that transferred and couldn't win the job at Auburn after albeit a career day, still. Then we lose in the Natty to a quarterback you grilled multiple times last year as incompetant, that runs more of a pro-style offense than anyone anymore.

Mobile quarterbacks were a new concept at the time when Kirby was here. Especially on the east coast and in the South. He has clearly shown with preparation he can contain and immobilize them. I can't recall a mobile quarterback destroying Georgia, unless we call Bryce one, but he simply destroys everyone with his ability.

The offense scored 42 points that game, the defense gave up 51, minus Dallas Turner's gift touchdown, Tennessee still beats us by 3. Unacceptable. We gifted Tennessee a turnover on that one punt, but they still had to drive half the field to see any points. You can hash it out and build excuses all you want, but when your offense puts up 42 points, you have ZERO excuses to lose a football game, zero. Hooker being older? Ha, that's rich. Georgia and South Carolina both neutralized him and those wide receivers that torched us,and with much greener teams than ours. I know you'll bring up 100,000 screaming fans next, so let's go ahead and bring up how many times you've stated LSU in Death Valley on a Saturday has meant zero against us. Same can be applied to Tennessee, or is that somehow different?

Compare productivity. I have stated in the past a D should be lower teens in points/game and less than 300 yards/game. More importantly the other team should just give up trying to run the ball. At crunch time it should be lights out. There we be an attitude and confidecne in those situations of you are not scoring period. That is not there within the team or fanbase.

I do not think this is all on Goldin but the D has been subpar. My eyes tell me that.

Right, but at least it was just 1 lightning in a bottle mobile QB a year, compared to largely shutting down the rest.

The inverse is true with Golding. He only fully shuts down maybe 1 or 2 QBs a year and the rest of our opponents' mediocre QBs always have a knack for looking like Tom-Frikkin-Brady (Dr Evil voice) against us.

Experience and maturity? Alabama had 7-8 seniors coming back on this defense, with Will Anderson being a well seasoned junior. And they've played at times like they're all true freshman in their first season starting. These mental mistakes and busts shouldn't be happening with the amount of games all these guys have played, and yet.... it still happens. This was the year that golding had to put it together, had the talent and experience coming back, with a ton of depth at each position. It didn't happen, it's been the same as it has the past two seasons. I'm confident in saying that if you give this defense to a Jeremy Pruitt, or Muschamp, or the guy I want to be the New DC, Glenn Schumann.... that this doesn't happen.
You're suggesting the guy on the sidelines prevents the breakdowns? That's on the player(s.) There's a portion of it on Saban's system.

And a reason for a some if those is because of Golding's playcalling. 3rd&long and we send a blitz without making sure every area of the field is covered. And it's usually the middle of the field where they're able to convert.
That's Saban's system. It's not Golding.

That's been a weakness of his style since day one. Remember how often guys like Vinnie were beaten? The defense spent A LOT more time in regular back then.

Right, but at least it was just 1 lightning in a bottle mobile QB a year, compared to largely shutting down the rest.

The inverse is true with Golding. He only fully shuts down maybe 1 or 2 QBs a year and the rest of our opponents' mediocre QBs always have a knack for looking like Tom-Frikkin-Brady (Dr Evil voice) against us.
Your criticism is on how the games are won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom