| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I’d like to get the dude from GA and I’m not real thrilled with some of the playcalling Golding has done, this is Saban’s defense and any DC has to work within his system/parameters, so we could Demeco Ryans and it’d still be Saban’s defense, so until Saban is open to changing things defensively like he did with the offense we’re going to see the same thing over and over

In Golding's defense... He doesn't work directly with the 'D' Backs.... 🤷‍♂️
But he does work with ILB's. And they have not been very productive the last 3 seasons. Which is a shame, because we've been extremely talented at the position and will continue to be in the coming years. Another fun fact, hes never produced a first round draft pick for his position group.

But he does work with ILB's. And they have not been very productive the last 3 seasons. Which is a shame, because we've been extremely talented at the position and will continue to be in the coming years. Another fun fact, hes never produced a first round draft pick for his position group.
1st off - I'm far from a Golding defender... I'd agree that the ILB's have been far from dominant.

Secondly - 1st round LB's don't grow on trees. Was CJ the last one at UA? I may be missing someone...

Lastly - How many big moments have been squandered by DB's hugging WR's and not looking back at the ball? There is a serious approach/technique issue with that back end. Whether it's being taught or mis executed, it seems to rear its ugly head in the biggest moments. We'd all love to see that front 7 create more pressure because it would help those guys, but even when they get to 3rd and longs or obvious passing situations, the DB penalties have been consistent and disastrous.

1st off - I'm far from a Golding defender... I'd agree that the ILB's have been far from dominant.

Secondly - 1st round LB's don't grow on trees. Was CJ the last one at UA? I may be missing someone...

Lastly - How many big moments have been squandered by DB's hugging WR's and not looking back at the ball? There is a serious approach/technique issue with that back end. Whether it's being taught or mis executed, it seems to rear its ugly head in the biggest moments. We'd all love to see that front 7 create more pressure because it would help those guys, but even when they get to 3rd and longs or obvious passing situations, the DB penalties have been consistent and disastrous.
Wasn't trying to insinuate that you were one, apologies if that's how it came off. I believe Rashaan Evans was the last first round pick we had at the position. Which is depressing, the guy I want to replace Golding (Glenn Schumann) has not only produced multiple first rounders, but two Butkus winners as well. Would really really really like to pursue him. And I know people complain about it, but that's how Saban teaches his DB's to play the ball, mainly just so they don't lose their eyes on their guy and know where he's at. Pretty much if they know the ball is coming, stick your hands up and try to contest the catch, when done right, the only way a team will beat this is with either a perfect throw, or they have a tall receiver with long arms. Our main problem this year has been mainly missed assignments and blown coverages from lack of communication and confusion. It's so goddamn frustrating.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what fans think, he doesn't give a shit what you or me say. But he's got former players coming in and telling him their concerns, which are valid. I trust Saban to make the right decision for the team, whether they keep golding or not.

Difference between bama n AU....anybody and everyone can think ...even demand...a change...
But nobody..except...maybe ms Terry......will have any input in to what nick does...nobody...
AD walks in and wants to discuss....nick kicks his ass out the door...

This is the strength of bama.....
And I am sure he doesnt give a shit what fans think and write on the forums...

You kind of bite your own point in the butt there at the end. Defensive backs aren't built to suffocate in coverage for ten seconds, it's impossible. Even NFL corners can't do it. Our blitz package that gets zero pressure absolutely kills our corners that are in phase for as long as they can be. Any receiver with a half knowledge of a route tree can eventually get open. It becomes back yard football and that's why Mahomes is so effective. NOW, we still have some bad, very bad habits as a defensive backfield and can definitely learn and grow, but give us a Harold Perkins or Smael Mondon, and I bet you $1,000 right now we don't see as many down field completions. Pressure is key!

(Georgia's secondary is not good, although Lassiter has stepped up, but their front seven get pressure and cause a lot of bad throws which help their d-backs. Check out Kentucky throwing the interception in the endzone last weekend)

.will have any input in to what nick does...nobody...
AD walks in and wants to discuss....nick kicks his ass out the door...
Y'all can focus on Golding and waste your time.

However, this is certainly not the case here. They've been working together on the staff changes.

However, this is certainly not the case here. They've been working together on the staff changes.

The AD is supposed to be involved when we are making formal overtures to interview/see coaches at other programs, correct?

We've all heard about being "in phase", running with the receiver and not reacting/looking for ball until the receiver signals the beginning of a catch. It's how Saban has been teaching DB's forever. I do think that the dramatic increase in back shoulder and intentional underthrows highlights a weakness in this technique.

You kind of bite your own point in the butt there at the end. Defensive backs aren't built to suffocate in coverage for ten seconds, it's impossible. Even NFL corners can't do it. Our blitz package that gets zero pressure absolutely kills our corners that are in phase for as long as they can be. Any receiver with a half knowledge of a route tree can eventually get open. It becomes back yard football and that's why Mahomes is so effective. NOW, we still have some bad, very bad habits as a defensive backfield and can definitely learn and grow, but give us a Harold Perkins or Smael Mondon, and I bet you $1,000 right now we don't see as many down field completions. Pressure is key!

(Georgia's secondary is not good, although Lassiter has stepped up, but their front seven get pressure and cause a lot of bad throws which help their d-backs. Check out Kentucky throwing the interception in the endzone last weekend)

I don't think I bit my point in the butt, just emphasizing the fact that the DB penalties were an ABSOLUTE problem this year. To argue that would be crazy. And my paint point is that - He doesn't coach technique to the DB's. So if we are being fair, a huge issue with the defense is on that back end and he's not directly teaching them.

Basically, our DB's haven't transitioned to the way the game is officiated/freedom of movement for WR's, and the tough guy/physical mentality has not aged well. It's created mismatches, huge plays, and penalties in the bigger games for a years. My question is - Does a new DC change that? I tend to think that wouldn't be up to the new hire....

Now getting more pressure on the QB and/or better play from LB's... I can see how that translates... But the DB schemes and penalties, it's a real problem.

We've all heard about being "in phase", running with the receiver and not reacting/looking for ball until the receiver signals the beginning of a catch. It's how Saban has been teaching DB's forever. I do think that the dramatic increase in back shoulder and intentional underthrows highlights a weakness in this technique.
Are we going to pretend like the way the game is officiated now is the same as it was "forever" ago? It has mattered.

I don't think I bit my point in the butt, just emphasizing the fact that the DB penalties were an ABSOLUTE problem this year. To argue that would be crazy. And my paint point is that - He doesn't coach technique to the DB's. So if we are being fair, a huge issue with the defense is on that back end and he's not directly teaching them.

Basically, our DB's haven't transitioned to the way the game is officiated/freedom of movement for WR's, and the tough guy/physical mentality has not aged well. It's created mismatches, huge plays, and penalties in the bigger games for a years. My question is - Does a new DC change that? I tend to think that wouldn't be up to the new hire....

Now getting more pressure on the QB and/or better play from LB's... I can see how that translates... But the DB schemes and penalties, it's a real problem.

I am in agreement with you that pass interference penalties have been an issue for years. I do think a few of those are simply bad calls by the refs, and I feel a lot of them are how the game has changed and the way a game is called, to which I absolutely hate. With all of that being said, we have a major issue getting out of our backpedal and into phase with receivers. We simply wait too long, they get up on us, and they blow past us and we are on skates. This is what is causing the holds and tugs that get flags thrown. Heads on a swivel, that seems to be a given with any defensive secondary, and I do not agree with that rule either. So you are correct that something needs to change with technique to evolve to where the game currently is. Saban is the coach, but as a coordinator that owns the defense you have to have the balls to ask the boss for what you want and what you see fit, not just go along with him simply because he is the boss.

All of that being said, it doesn't matter how perfect your technique is and your coverage abilities, defensive backs aren't magicians and simply cannot cover for longer than five seconds. With offensive play calling and how imaginative it can get, you're asking a lot of those guys when you get zero pressure. We blitz and get ZERO pressure and allow quarterbacks to eat us alive. The openings over the middle still blow my mind with how we made a living running those routes for years and still do and yet we cannot cover it as a defense. Our safeties are 30 yards downfield at times and are so out of place they are making zero difference whether we get beat deep or whether we get beat short and over the middle. I find it of no coincidence that Jordan Battle has had his quietest year on record yet. We also have five interceptions, five fumble recoveries, and three forced fumbles. We're giving the ball up more per game than we are getting it back! That has to be a first for an Alabama team. We are trending backwards based off the last number of years, minus 2020, per this site's stats.

Right. Total waste of timeto think what wethink has any influence...
This isnicks show...period
They be working together...ONLY at Nicks ok...

Right. Total waste of timeto think what wethink has any influence...
This isnicks show...period
They be working together...ONLY at Nicks ok...
Facts, are facts. DTO is a legitimate concern. Otherwise, you're complaining about a top five defense. Just like y'all were last year where they finished sixth.

But not a damn peep when they finished outside the top 20 in 2020.

He's led the Bama defense to a top five finish every season he's been at the helm. But, "fahr Pete."

Screenshot 2022-11-22 1.53.48 PM.png

Facts, are facts. DTO is a legitimate concern. Otherwise, you're complaining about a top five defense. Just like y'all were last year where they finished sixth.

He's led the Bama defense to a top five finish every season he's been at the helm. But, "fahr Pete."

View attachment 22630

So you don't see any issues with this defense, think it's performing well, and a legit Top 5 defense in the entire country? I see Georgia and Ohio State on this page, yet they are still undefeated and in the Playoff picture, and we have two losses, and one of those losses is an opponent Georgia beat up pretty good while we gave up 52. You believe the offense has held us back then?

And what do you mean "not a damn peep" about the 2020 defense? Golding has been getting crushed on this board for years. How can you sit there and say that? He may have had a few like me that allowed him some lee-way that season due to the coronavirus restrictions and simply how we could just outscore anyone, but to say "not a peep" is grossly misrepresented.

Last edited:

View attachment 22630
Thanks for the education. I didn’t realize we finished as a top 5 defense those years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom