| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I will give this to Grantham: I don't think he is necessarily a shit bag. He is a couple steps below a coach like Kevin Steele, which is a complement because I think Steele is a very good DC. Grantham has had top 10 defenses at both UGA and Florida, but consistency has always been a problem with him. His defenses at Florida were fairly decent in 2018 and 2019, but sucked in 2020 and 2021. At UGA he had solid defenses in 2011 and 2012, but had mixed results in 2013.

Would he be a homerun sexy hire? No, and that's the part I think really would suck. It would signify that we "settled", and if that is the case, you might as well have stayed with Mr. Golding.

I'll be honest though, and I am not some "insider", but I don't think Grantham is going to be the next DC. I don't know who would it would be at this point. I think the only way Schumann would go to Alabama is if he was offered a HC position after Saban decides to retire. Lake and Leonhard would be great candidates, and I have to say I am more intrigued with Lake than I am Leonhard. Lake I think is a great coach in need of rehabbing his image because of his debacle at Washington a couple of years ago, and I know there was interest in him back around the late 2010s.

JMO but I the UGA guy is a Kirby Man much more than a Nick Man and he will stick with the Dawgs (if given a choice). With Nick only having about 4 more years (oh yeah) I don't see why the guy would leave a program that is really at the top and his coach is a young guy. He can get a HC gig from right where he is without coming home to Mama.

With that said, if he was offered the gig and said no then mark his azz of the list of ever returning to Mama.

and I guess it is possible Nick is waiting until this 2nd NSD is done before making all the changes known. Our guy just might be involved in recruiting some good players at another school.

My choice is Pruitt as 1 with Muschamp as 2. Bama has to do a much better job of evaluation of players talent and the mental aspect as well.

All our problems don't fall with Pete and BoB. It is easy to go that route since a new hire will fix our problems on both sides of the ball? Aight.

I am not a member of the Bama Sunshine Club.
I don’t mind Pruitt as 2 or even 1 if need be, but I don’t want Muschamp anywhere close to UA

Me, neither.

If I'm being being honest, I don't have a lot of optimism on these upcoming coordinator hires.
Trust that the GOAT got a fire relit in his belly and he is going to right the ship for one more run. He can't do that without great players and great coaches especially coordinators and he knows that.

Trust that the GOAT got a fire relit in his belly and he is going to right the ship for one more run. He can't do that without great players and great coaches especially coordinators and he knows that.
That's the thing. I don't trust that. I've seen him change quite a bit over the last 5 years. I think next year will be his last year.

That's the thing. I don't trust that. I've seen him change quite a bit over the last 5 years. I think next year will be his last year.
I just do not see him being ok leaving the way things are are right now. We all know that CNS is wired different. Only thing I think would change that would be his or Mrs Terri's health. Just my 2 cents.

I believe our new OC & DC are still coaching games. What else makes sense?
Contract dates with buyouts....
Always seems.l...February 1 is some magic dateo
I don't think the coaches are still coaching. How many folks have come from NFL to Saban? Daboll/BOB are the only two that are "true" NFL coaches IMO. Neither were spectacular. (I think it would have been interesting for Daboll to have been able to have Tua all year). Sark came from the NFL, but that was Sark scratching the same itch Saban had. Figured out he was a College coach, the hard way.

I agree with @50+yeartidefan. May have something to do with recruiting too. I would imagine buy out clauses etc may have something to do with it. I know it's "just money" but how far would a million dollar buy out clause go towards NIL and landing the best athlete you can get?

Brian Johnson (Eagles QB coach) is the only coach still coaching who has been publicly linked to the job. Personally I never thought he was a leading candidate, but that's more opinion than anything else, so could be wrong. He's a Mullen guy with SEC experience, well thought off and respected, and if he as the guy, would undoubtedly come with the stamp of approval from a number of former Saban staffers who work with him currently in Philly. (Johnson was also an outside candidate for the auburn HC job after Harsin was canned)

All that aside, there is no magic date other than Saban is highly unlikely to name a new OC until/before O'Brien accepts another job. Word will likely leak out, and the guy may already be working to some degree, but there's no reason to expect definitive word until the O'Brien domino falls. O'Brien may accept a spot with the Patriots, he may not. He has options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom