| LIFE Thought for the Day

It was a trick question. The first reactor for a nuclear sub was operated near Atomic City, Idaho.
Something I read, somewhere, sometime, on a some subject. My first cousin, Mike, was stationed there as was his brother for a few years. My gut tells me it was something I read while visiting.

His hallway is one of the most bizarre things I've seen. He's got nine or so accommodations that read...happened , on this date __ for this service __. All blank because of some sub duty.

I could not disappear, under the water, for months at a time. I have trouble breathing thinking about the idea...

Something I read, somewhere, sometime, on a some subject. My first cousin, Mike, was stationed there as was his brother for a few years. My gut tells me it was something I read while visiting.

His hallway is one of the most bizarre things I've seen. He's got nine or so accommodations that read...happened , on this date __ for this service __. All blank because of some sub duty.

I could not disappear, under the water, for months at a time. I have trouble breathing thinking about the idea...
This book on the Cold War I'm reading, Who Can Hold the Sea, includes a number of chapters on the hot war in Korea. I was forgetful or ignorant on much of the action. My Korean War primer was from M*A*S*H, and with this book and a couple of other things, it's been brought back around to me. My wife just retired from Chick-fil-A, and she had some old guys visit one of the stores every Tuesday, for years. One was a rocket scientist, another an aeronautical engineer, another a state senator, several others with really interesting backgrounds, and then there's the 97 year old Blue Angel. This guy was in the same squadron with Jesse Brown and Tom Hudner, was good friends with the Browns, but when the Cold War cooked off he was sent to the Med and Brown/Hudner went to Korea on the Leyte. The book and movie, Devotion, covers their story. I got to sit in on an early screening of the movie at the gentlemen's retirement home. Jesse Brown's daughter still comes to visit him. My Tuesdays are really busy, but I got the opportunity to sit with them a couple of times. It's hard to sit still around these guys, just so impressive.

"How can one feel truly comforted if he does not believe in God and in the true eternal life after death? When man grasps the deeper meaning of this true life, stress goes away, divine consolation comes, and he is healed." -St. Paisios

Back
Top Bottom