| LIFE Thought for the Day

I got started thinking about this a few weeks ago. It was in the context of watching kids wearing masks.

Here's my thought.

My biggest pleasure in life is making someone laugh. I'm a dimwit, of sorts. So, it can be challenging.

You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism.

- Erma Bombeck

“The circle of an empty day is brutal, and at night it tightens around your neck like a noose."

- Elena Ferrante
A literal example.

A few days ago we had the New Moon phase. People around town were in such a damn hurry to do everything, driving like "bat's out of hell."

It was mid-afternoon when the "New Moon" idea struck me. By four, I'd said, "forget all of this and just went home." I felt like I hadn't accomplished a damn thing.

Hell of a time sleeping...just didn't happen.

“There is a time in life when you expect the world to be always full of new things. And then comes a day when you realize that is not how it will be at all. You see that life will become a thing made of holes. Absences. Losses. Things that were there and are no longer.”

- Helen Macdonald

Back
Top Bottom