| FTBL The reality of the situation...

I've been away for a couple of days and enjoyed this thread until the nabob of negativity comment. I don't know if that comment was bred from ignorance or malice. I suspect a little of both.

My only little bit to toss into this thread is that, although you want all the four and five-star recruits you can get, sometimes the value of class keys on a staff's ability to diverge from the ratings and get a two-star that they believe is underrated. Since our new all-time leader in receptions and receiving yardage was a two-star, I'll have to say good call. I think Demeco was a one- or two-star, too.

RTR,

Tim

Porterhouse said:
Bamascoop said:
I was jsut wondering what Stanford ranked the last four years vs. USC. Our team is made up of quitters and it will take time to replace these guys.

How much money did you lose on the game?

Well, Who did bet on Stanford! LOL!! :lol: :lol:

I'm gonna make an obligatory 'Bama fan living in the past' post here:

If the rating system had been around back then, how many 4 and 5 star recruits do you think Coach Bryant would have had?

It Takes Eleven said:
I've been away for a couple of days and enjoyed this thread until the nabob of negativity comment. I don't know if that comment was bred from ignorance or malice. I suspect a little of both.

My only little bit to toss into this thread is that, although you want all the four and five-star recruits you can get, sometimes the value of class keys on a staff's ability to diverge from the ratings and get a two-star that they believe is underrated. Since our new all-time leader in receptions and receiving yardage was a two-star, I'll have to say good call. I think Demeco was a one- or two-star, too.

RTR,

Tim

There are good two and three star players...even one star and unranked...but that does not change the fact that ratings do matter and are generally accurate. For every "two star career leader in receiving yards at Bama" you can throw out, you can find 100 four and five star receivers that went to other schools, had more talent and ability, and could have put up the same numbers. DJ was underrated, no doubt...but one or two examples does not change the reality.

You can have a roster full of two star athletes who have a lot of heart and determination. They will lose to a roster full of well coached four and five star athletes 99% of the time. When they don't, its called an upset.

Look at the top teams in the NCAA's...then look at the recruiting rankings over the past few years.

Wiseace615 said:
I'm gonna make an obligatory 'Bama fan living in the past' post here:

If the rating system had been around back then, how many 4 and 5 star recruits do you think Coach Bryant would have had?

Probably a LOT. There was no 25/85 rule in place back then.

Coach Bryant was the originator of the quote "What matters is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog," but he is also the originator of the quote "I'm known as a recruiter. You gotta have chicken to make chicken salad."

Amen to that!

During Coach Bryant's days, his classes would have been in the top 5 EVERY year. He knew talent and knew how to get it. He also knew how to make it perform and bring up the less athletic as well.

The number of All-Americans he produced should answer that question.

He had great players and LOTS of them.

ACTUALLY

Coach Bryant's classes would've been ranked VERY low. He traditionally went after unwanteds that he turned into great players. Making a walk-on play like a star is the sign of a great coach.

Re: ACTUALLY

Swamptick said:
shiloh said:
Coach Bryant's classes would've been ranked VERY low. He traditionally went after unwanteds that he turned into great players. Making a walk-on play like a star is the sign of a great coach.

Um....WHAT?

An accurate assessment of the situation.

Coach Bryant was the best recruiter in the business.

moreno_iv said:
Bamascoop said:
I was jsut wondering what Stanford ranked the last four years vs. USC. Our team is made up of quitters and it will take time to replace these guys.

That is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read.

Morino_iv

I am suing you. I saw the bug on my computer screen and I thought it was real. I hit it with my wife's high heel shoe and broke my $3k computer screen all to he11. :wink:

bamafan850 said:
moreno_iv said:
Bamascoop said:

Morino_iv

I am suing you. I saw the bug on my computer screen and I thought it was real. I hit it with my wife's high heel shoe and broke my $3k computer screen all to he11. :wink:

:lol:

Sorry about that man. I saw this thing the other day and I really almost did try to smash that bug. I had to have it. I'll be going back to my old one soon enough, but I had to get a few laughs out of it!

moreno_iv said:
bamafan850 said:
moreno_iv said:
Bamascoop said:

Morino_iv

:lol:

Sorry about that man. I saw this thing the other day and I really almost did try to smash that bug. I had to have it. I'll be going back to my old one soon enough, but I had to get a few laughs out of it!

In that case...

*saves*

Bamapossum said:
Amen to that!

During Coach Bryant's days, his classes would have been in the top 5 EVERY year. He knew talent and knew how to get it. He also knew how to make it perform and bring up the less athletic as well.

I would think you have better odds of producing All-Americans if you have 300 kids on the team.

JohnDeere said:
Bamapossum said:
Amen to that!

I would think you have better odds of producing All-Americans if you have 300 kids on the team.

Whaaa Whaaa

Crying%20baby%20boy_01.JPG

JohnDeere said:
Bamapossum said:
Amen to that!

Just a question here. Was Bama the only team allowed to have 300 kids on the team?

Argo said:
JohnDeere said:
Bamapossum said:
Amen to that!

Just a question here. Was Bama the only team allowed to have 300 kids on the team?

Of course we were. Everyone else implemented the 85 scholarship limit in 1939 to do their part in the war effort. That's why it was so unfair, and all post-war championships except 1992 are invalid. It's true, it is. Just call 1-800-AUB-1957 for verification.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
Argo said:
JohnDeere said:
Bamapossum said:
Amen to that!

Of course we were. Everyone else implemented the 85 scholarship limit in 1939 to do their part in the war effort. That's why it was so unfair, and all post-war championships except 1992 are invalid. It's true, it is. Just call 1-800-AUB-1957 for verification.

RTR,

Tim

There's just no way the end of that phone number is in reference to Auburn's National Championship. Auburn doesn't live in the past, so that must be a coincidence.

Next you'll be telling me that their 1957 National championship team was on probation. Everyone knows Bama is the only team to ever cheat.

Back
Top Bottom