| FTBL The reality of the situation...

You know, its really something you don't want to say, because I think these kids are playing their heart out, but you are right about the talent level. You can see it when we play other "top tier" teams.

But don't worry. Take a look at the #1 team in the nation right now.

Remember who recruited most of those JRs and SRs.

We will return to glory.

But I will have to say, its frustrating to see our team blow a 23 point lead that way.

I think Saban will address that this week.
He seemed pretty upset with the team's performance after the game.

Big_Fan said:
A friend of mine is a former Bama QB. It is his opinion (and the opinion of many others who are 'in the know') that we do not have a single player who would have started on the 92D, and only a few who would have seen playing time on offense.

Andre Smith is the only player on our offense who would have been a sure fire starter...

There are many variable's as to why BAMA has a lack of players. Considering Porbation, Headcoaching(all 3 Mikes!), and new systems. That's why CNS is here to right the ship. Given the time it will happen!

Folks, the REALITY is, the talent level is not even close to where it needs to be for us to compete for championships. Coaching, determination, and a will to win will make us into a good team, but we do not have the pieces for a great team

Very good analysis. I felt going into the season 7-8 wins would be a very good season based on the talent level and lack of depth. There are some very good players on this team but not enough. It is simply going to take some time for CNS to build this team.

This team lacks intensity and it comes in short spans. This should change as recruiting improves.

It is just going to take a couple of years to get back..........

bamafan850 said:
It takes great players + a great coach. Just look at Bama's 92 NC. Bill Curry had the players but it took Gene Stallings to coach them to a NC. I am in total agreement that the top players have to be there, but it also takes a great coach to lead them to success.

BTW, welcome and glad you are here.
Everybody jumps on Curry for not being able to coach, but I disagree. Going into the AU game he was undefeated and ranked #2. We lost our next 2 by close margins and the Miami team that beat us won it all. HOWEVER all things work out for a reason and I'm glad they turned out like they did.

bamaupsman said:
bamafan850 said:
It takes great players + a great coach. Just look at Bama's 92 NC. Bill Curry had the players but it took Gene Stallings to coach them to a NC. I am in total agreement that the top players have to be there, but it also takes a great coach to lead them to success.

BTW, welcome and glad you are here.
Everybody jumps on Curry for not being able to coach, but I disagree. Going into the AU game he was undefeated and ranked #2. We lost our next 2 by close margins and the Miami team that beat us won it all. HOWEVER all things work out for a reason and I'm glad they turned out like they did.

I, for one, don't look at a 10 wins season or a high ranking as a sign of a coach being good at Alabama. You probably know this, but we've only had one coach since the early part of last century that didn't win 10 games as some point. Heck, less than 1/3rd of the teams he faced were ranked when we played them.

As to the talent of Curry coaching, his instability in the position was probably most clearly defined the day he lost his cool and jerked Prince Wimbley around by the face mask. Then you have this stories about death threats, the brick, all a bunch of BS.

A good coach doesn't go to Kentucky to coach is one of the things Stallings said about Curry. Having your best season at UK being 6-6 isn't the sign of a good coach. A winning percentage of .420 at Ga. Tech isn't the sign of a good coach.

As a former coach, what you say makes sense and I agree with. CNS will be fine but WE must give him time because the depth at certain positions (DL) is very limited.

Welcome back to the site, we hope you stay around for a long time.

BigAl said:
Big_Fan how would you rate the 2007 recruiting class?

The 2007 or 2008?

It is hard to judge 2007 because Saban came in so late, but given the circumstances it was remarkable. Saban addressed a number of immediate and glaring needs, however Rome was not built in a day...and definately not by a contractor who was hired the day before.

2008 will be a top 10 class...maybe top 5 if a couple of pieces fall into place. 2009 will be top 5.

I know that people do not want to hear it but we will be decent in 2008, good in 2009, and by 2010 we will be hard to handle. The NCAA probation was designed to hurt us and it did. Then you add in the comedy of errors on the coaching front and it is what it is.

BigAl said:
Big_Fan how would you rate the 2007 recruiting class?

One more thing for perspective... in 4 recruiting classes, Shula signed a total of 13 players with a 4 star rating or higher that managed to get on campus. Of those 13, one was a 5 star player.

We currently have 11 commits that ar 4 star, and many people believe that Julio Jones is a done deal (and he may not be the only one).

Another note...Saban's 2004 recruiting class at LSU consisted of:

4 x *****
9 x ****

a total of 13 players rated 4* or higher...the same number Shula signed in 4 years.

2003 class was:

2 x *****
14 x ****

total of 16 players rated 4 stars or higher.

Prior to 2003, Saban did well, but not as well as he did after he started winning championships. Our class this year is looking better than the 2002 LSU class.

Folks, there is a reason LSU has won 62 games in the past 6 seasons. Do you see the correlation?

BamaDelta said:
bamafan850 said:
BamaDelta said:
So, how did we go from OUR YEAR to what we're seeing now? ;scr

New system.

Uhhh, I just don't know. No offense 850 and maybe my lack of football knowledge will show here, but is that a cop-out? Is than an easy answer? That for me is a tough one.

I'm really not trying to look ignorant, but how long is it a new system? All year?
Like others have said: Saban's not here because we won a National Championship last year. He's here because we haven't had a very good team of late, and it will take AT LEAST 2 seasons to get things kind of like he wants them. The fans need to be more patient. Impatience with the current coaching staff is completely unreasonable and short sighted. BE PATIENT!!

There can be no doubt as to the importance of recruiting.

Those two teams that played in Baton Rouge last night have been at the top of the recruiting charts for several seasons. Hence, they have been at the top of the national charts.

Talent can be squandered and wasted,(See UT, FSU, and Miami recently)but it is VERY hard to compete at a high level when you are playing against bigger, stronger, and faster players as a whole. Give it a season or two of recruiting and Bama will be as tough as it has been since the 1990's.

As to new system pains. It takes a WHILE to completely implement a new system and to get the players to understand it. Until they "get it" they tend to play conservatively because they think and don't react. When the system gets ingrained, they have faster reaction times and higher confidence levels.

Bamapossum said:
There can be no doubt as to the importance of recruiting.

Those two teams that played in Baton Rouge last night have been at the top of the recruiting charts for several seasons. Hence, they have been at the top of the national charts.

Talent can be squandered and wasted,(See UT, FSU, and Miami recently)but it is VERY hard to compete at a high level when you are playing against bigger, stronger, and faster players as a whole. Give it a season or two of recruiting and Bama will be as tough as it has been since the 1990's.

As to new system pains. It takes a WHILE to completely implement a new system and to get the players to understand it. Until they "get it" they tend to play conservatively because they think and don't react. When the system gets ingrained, they have faster reaction times and higher confidence levels.

And there is the crux of it...we have not had the recruiting AND we are learning a new system. Growing pains are to be expected...I mean, LSU lost to UAB in Saban's first season. Houston 2007 is a lot better than UAB in 2000.

Bamascoop said:
Our team is made up of quitters and it will take time to replace these guys.

Quitters?! What the heck? Have you watched the fourth quarter of any game this season? That's a stupid statement -- and it's not your since you've been here.

stupidig6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom