| OT Started a Hat Company (Gameday's, etc..) Give me a Follow on Instagram, Pretty Please

BamaFan334

Hello fellow Rolltidebama Family. I wanted to reach out and let y'all know I have started a small hat company called Old South Hat Company. I just posted on Instagram a couple of my Gameday Collection hats that I am hoping to sell for the Fall. Not trying to induce purchasing, just trying to gain some marketing momentum and some followers to drive my visibility out there, and every little bit helps.

To be honest I am very green on the social marketing scene, and all I know is a lot of views, followers, and likes create more marketability for folks, so was basically trying to generate some support from all my buddies on here. Y'all can find me on Instagram at oldsouthhatcompany. We (my wife and I) are working on our brand and creating many different styles and looks, but we can also customize to anything a person or company may need. As always, your support is greatly appreciated. Roll Tide.

A couple of pictures of my Gameday Collection. I plan on carrying all teams, except Auburn. Just to give a visual.

careful with that...sec rules states that if you carry/offer one team/school, you must carry/offer all of them.

years ago, when i worked at a shipping store, we had a customer who came in who had created something. he offered them with either the Alabama logo or the auburn logo. when he got in touch with the schools for the rights to sell items with those logos, he was told to also contact the sec and let them know. when he did, they (the sec) told him he had to offer ALL school's logos or none at all. and, it would be up to the individual schools as to if they wanted to allow their logo (or any derivatives) to be used on anything.

granted, on the hats in your post you don't have anything that specifically states "University of Alabama" or "university of georgia". but putting anything that points back to them..."RTR" or "Glory Glory" may be considered intellectual property.

please know that i'm not fussing or complaining, i just don't wanna see ya get in any hot water and be forced to shut down or pay royalties when you weren't expecting to. i do hope it takes off for you and you get to grow and expand like you want.

"Glory Glory" may be considered intellectual property.
It's because of that very phrase that makes me think the Georgia hat is better than the Alabama hat.

I like both designs.

Intellectual property...really murky area there. I don't know if you've seen them but there's a guy that's been pushing "Tidal Towels" for a couple of years now. Yes, one of those towels you see people waving at games.

Curiosity led me to this...which I don't think is a violation of copyright or intellectual properties.

It's because of that very phrase that makes me think the Georgia hat is better than the Alabama hat.

I like both designs.

Intellectual property...really murky area there. I don't know if you've seen them but there's a guy that's been pushing "Tidal Towels" for a couple of years now. Yes, one of those towels you see people waving at games.

Curiosity led me to this...which I don't think is a violation of copyright or intellectual properties.

It's funny you bring up GATA, because I started my college career at Georgia Southern, rushed KA there and ultimately that's where the company name came from as it was our Spring formal. With that being said, I am working on Georgia Southern hats with GATA on the back andhave looked everywhere to see if it is trademarked. I saw where it was filed and approved in 2013, but have read a few things to make me believe that since I was in school and using this before 2013 I wouldn't necessarily be help to the copywrite infringement in court. Apparently Georgia and Army both use the slogan without paying penalties, as well as countless high schools.

It really is a fine line to produce and find ways to show school pride without infringement. I'm attempting to be creative and skirt the legal aspect of it, atleast until I get bigger and can understand it all a lot better. Alabama was really nice when I called and spoke to their licensing department. They actually said they were not currently looking for anymore hat producers to give licenses to, but told me I could work off the license of another company that has granted rights, say Nike, Smathers and Branson, Southern Tide etc. Personally, I see it as unfortunate that there is so much red tape where a self funded person like myself has almost impossible barriers to entry, but I'm going to attempt to be creative and work my way through it. Hell, the money goes to the University anyways with my Tide Pride, Crimson Tide Foundation, and School of Business donations.

careful with that...sec rules states that if you carry/offer one team/school, you must carry/offer all of them.

years ago, when i worked at a shipping store, we had a customer who came in who had created something. he offered them with either the Alabama logo or the auburn logo. when he got in touch with the schools for the rights to sell items with those logos, he was told to also contact the sec and let them know. when he did, they (the sec) told him he had to offer ALL school's logos or none at all. and, it would be up to the individual schools as to if they wanted to allow their logo (or any derivatives) to be used on anything.

granted, on the hats in your post you don't have anything that specifically states "University of Alabama" or "university of georgia". but putting anything that points back to them..."RTR" or "Glory Glory" may be considered intellectual property.

please know that i'm not fussing or complaining, i just don't wanna see ya get in any hot water and be forced to shut down or pay royalties when you weren't expecting to. i do hope it takes off for you and you get to grow and expand like you want.

No offense taken, I really appreciate that information. It was more of a joke about Auburn, because I will gladly take the money from an Auburn fan, because I see that as a win for us. Money from them that goes to us, ha ha. Interesting information about the SEC though. I had no clue that was the case.

Any institution that accepts 1 red cent of taxpayer money has no moral claim to copyright protection. That being said, legal and moral are rarely in harmony. Just my opinion.

Brother, I hope you get wealthy.

@BamaFan334 What your cost and what type of cap you have?

I use a hat company out of Arkansas called Outdoor Cap, and I can get any hat I need. I have been using "dad hats" and "Trucker hats" mainly since those seem to be classic and what is pushing the market right now. I have also made aome wax hats for the hunter and outdoorsman. I love the wax hats. The more ideas I get, the more hat options I will dig into, but I can technically get any hat a person would need or want.

Last edited:
Bad ass!

Looking over your IG profile, I'm thinking you're doing the embroidery? Is that correct?

Are you doing dri-fit hats?

Yes sir, we are doing the embroidery out of an office/craft room in our house.

I am actually getting ready to test out a new hat from the company I initially purchased from in the UK to try my hand at some hats I want to make and sell at our country club Pro Shop. They are expensive, so my margins are slim with these, but sometimes it takes a sacrifice to get the brand out there and aimply offer something different. Outdoor Cap also has some hats that are Dri-Fit like that I want to use as well.

Yeah, that was a beauty. Was first learning the machine, it stopped in the middle of embroidery, I stuck my hands in there to fix the stoppage, and as soon as the tension was relieved it started up again without provocation and went right through my finger tip. Nice little scar and no feeling in that finger tip as of today.

Back
Top Bottom