| FTBL Thoughts on the game

Offense:
QBs: Milroe is waaaaaay better than he was last year. You can see lot of improvements in all areas. I felt encouraged by the play calling throughout the game for Milroe. I understand why Saban kept him in the game little longer, but I would've loved to see Buchner getting little more playing time to get comfortable with offense. I can clearly see why the competition at QB was tight... All are very good. The future is bright at the position. We shouldn't be quick to say Milroe is the QB for the season though. He is still making predetermined reads, but he'll get better. Buchner is really pushing to get the starting job and I think we'll know lot next weekend.

RBs/OL: I'm not concerned about the running game last night. I thought OL did okay job protecting Milroe and I felt like the play calling was little basic when it comes to the running game. I think they were trying so hard to not give anything away and they were focusing on deep passes to make Texas respect that forr next week.

WRs: What can I say? The route running, the decision making is whole lot better. It definitely was BOB's scheme that handicapped the offense as a whole. Suddenly, we don't have any question marks. I think the separation part is good, but it'll get tougher as we start to play better teams.

TEs: This is my favorite part. We have several real good TEs that can do serious damage on the field. This is first time in long time we don't have an OL playing a TE. We are very versatile at this position.

Coaching: Rees did a heck of a job coaching up the team last night. He called a good game plan, but he has some room to grow though.

Defense:
DLs/LBs- I'm not sure about this, but I would give them a solid 7 with a room to improve. They will get better as the season goes along. They were very aggressive and making less mistakes. Nobody rarely was out of place. Lawson, Turner, and company did heck of a job getting to QBs/RBs at time.

CB/Safeties: Depth is a concern. Something to monitor throughout the season.

Coaching: Steele is a huge upgrade over Golding. You can see the difference in how they call the game, on 3rd down and how they blitz. If you watch Ole miss game, Golding is still doing the same thing he did at Alabama. Nothing new to see. I'm concerned about Steele and how he make adjustments in the game. The drive that MTSU had on Alabama, I was wondering where was the adjustments was.

Overall assessment: Do I feel good about this team? yes. Am I concerned about some things? yes. I think we'll beat Texas easily...

All things said. It was mtsu.
Did the production of the team meet the standard of "It was MTSU?"

This reminds me of a game where Roach had eight or nine solo tackles and Josh said, "it's only _____" (I think the game may have been Southern Miss.) There are still accurate "take-away's."

While I'm a HUGE fan of caveats don't try to "undersell" how they looked yesterday.

All things said. It was mtsu.

See next week how we feel
This!!! Now after getting to watch the game, I think the biggest positive was Milroe looked much improved and the team played much more soundly with very few mental mistakes. Still saw some of the lingering issues from last year on the OL/DL but all in all it was much better. It takes time to completely flip the switch but cleaning up the penaltiies was huge. It would have made the difference last year. Team would have been in CFP if they cleaned up the panalties.

This and That

Dalcourt wasn't it last year and isn't that year as well
Not sold on the interior DL
Ilbers look much better
Secondary looks better
Defense plays faster and tackles better
MTSU looked like they sold out to stop the RB
Milroe is what he is and will be.
RB's look good running but Miller was runover trying to pickup the blitz

Really can't judge much due to the competition.
Receivers looked pretty good. I am not a fan of Brooks. TE's looked good and that should/could be a big deal.

Nick needs to throw away his supply of just for men

Played cleanly, 2 inadvertent penalties. Much better discipline on D. Failed to account for the QB on a 3rd and short and got burned. Overall improved/improving in all phases.

This!!! Now after getting to watch the game, I think the biggest positive was Milroe looked much improved and the team played much more soundly with very few mental mistakes. Still saw some of the lingering issues from last year on the OL/DL but all in all it was much better. It takes time to completely flip the switch but cleaning up the penaltiies was huge. It would have made the difference last year. Team would have been in CFP if they cleaned up the panalties.

The offensive line dealt with the Middle Tennessee gameplan well, which is to basically blitz every play and hope to win more than they lose. We acquitted ourselves well. As soon as I felt it was time to think our offensive line wasn't getting it done I needed to remind myself they were outnumbered due to the blitz and we still hung 56 on them. On top of that, we are breaking in a brand new left tackle and right guard. I'm happy with what I saw in first action. Now we gotta buckle up for next weekend, but I am happy with how things went as a unit last night.

Is it just me or the 2 long passes milroe completed (1 to bond & 1 to berton), both had beaten the coverage badly. Both had to nearly come to a stop to catch the ball. Better corners and that doesn’t happen. Our receivers were so much better than mtsu’s db’s. The best throw was to niblack. Need a way to change protection or play for the qb as well. This could be by design for Texas. All that being said milroe did better than I guess I was expecting, but the deep balls did not impress me as much as everyone else I guess.

Is it just me or the 2 long passes milroe completed (1 to bond & 1 to berton), both had beaten the coverage badly. Both had to nearly come to a stop to catch the ball. Better corners and that doesn’t happen. Our receivers were so much better than mtsu’s db’s. The best throw was to niblack. Need a way to change protection or play for the qb as well. This could be by design for Texas. All that being said milroe did better than I guess I was expecting, but the deep balls did not impress me as much as everyone else I guess.

The one to Bond he had to wait a tick, but don't forget about the beauty he threw to Bond where the defensive back had to tackle him to stop the touchdown.

Great thread on OL blocking:

Look, I'm all about Alabama making others look not so good, but Bond's hit is what is wrong with these new rules in football. You got a defensive player not protecting himself because Bond stepped out of bounds, but still proceeded to run over a defender. A defender makes that hit and sends the offensive player flying and 100% of the time there will be a flag. Like I said, love Bond, he's my #1 receiver, but hate this happened as a sign of where football fails me and defensive minded folks like me, and those players.

Look, I'm all about Alabama making others look not so good, but Bond's hit is what is wrong with these new rules in football. You got a defensive player not protecting himself because Bond stepped out of bounds, but still proceeded to run over a defender. A defender makes that hit and sends the offensive player flying and 100% of the time there will be a flag. Like I said, love Bond, he's my #1 receiver, but hate this happened as a sign of where football fails me and defensive minded folks like me, and those players.
???

Back
Top Bottom