| FTBL Spring Practice 2023: 2nd spring scrimmage set for Saturday at 1 CT

I don't know much about mechanics... Just looks to me like Simpson follows through with his whole upper body and Milroe has his weight back and relies on the arm strength. So when the ball gets past its apex it's more likely to float than drive through the air. Doubt it's that simple, but there is a real difference on where their weight is when the finish their throwing motion
Stride and following through. Similar to a pitcher short arming a throw. Mechanics, mechanics, mechanics!! Milroe has likely been able to throw the ball that way from the time he started in Jr High til today. Talent will get you only so far. I would say Hurts faced similar challenges in the beginning until he got the chance to work with Enos. OC will have some work to do. Simpson does follow through though. Dad having been his coach, likely had him working with a QB coach for a very long time. Similar to Bryce Young in a lot of ways.

A couple of more observations on the QB's they seem to wait until the receiver makes their cut to throw and the down field throws at their hip. Need to throw before the cut and needs to lead the receiver more. Maybe this is all about timing and youth.

I had a hard time seeing a few of those things (screen size.) I did notice on one throw the placement of his forefinger—almost on the tip. The only cure for those first two are reps (or a different offense that doesn't require a consistently accurate passer.)

I was told by a former D-1 college quarterback back in high school that's where you want your pointer finger. It's how you get the point of the ball to fly through the air properly and work the ball. Are you saying he was right or wrong in doing that?

I was told by a former D-1 college quarterback back in high school that's where you want your pointer finger. It's how you get the point of the ball to fly through the air properly and work the ball. Are you saying he was right or wrong in doing that?
No. It was more of noticing the forefinger wasn't in the same place every time. I didn't go back and look any further. It stuck out to me like a sore thumb. 🙃

No. It was more of noticing the forefinger wasn't in the same place every time. I didn't go back and look any further. It stuck out to me like a sore thumb. 🙃
He also stepped up into the pocket a few times when he should've stayed solid. Coach pointed it out once telling him to step stepping towards the line of scrimmage. He just looked really mechanically raw last year and they're working on him this year but I don't think he's there yet and while a few plays don't define anything really, Simpson on the video looks more poised and mechanically sound already, though once again a few plays from 1 practice aren't really enough to judge by. Especially with 0 coverage.

Edit: Ok, stepped probably wrong word, I mean he hopped forward before his step into the throw.

Last edited:
It’s more about getting a good grip in my opinion due to hand size or lack of size. Terry Bradshaw threw the ball like that but he said it was because of the grip he got or couldn’t get from holding in a more traditional spot on the HS/college ball. Coach Smith looked at our grip but never messed with it as long as the ball got out on time and in the proper direction to the proper target. Footwork and stride was his pet peeves!

Last edited:
After wading through messages and reflecting on a few conversations yesterday ... A few thoughts this morning on the offense:

I didn't expect to be looking at the offense after two-third's of the practices with my only real question mark falling at QB.

I didn't expect the offensive line to be as close to "set" as it is. It sure looks like they knew who their best five were (including Prichett) before camp started. (Seth at center flanked by Dalcourt and Booker with Latham at right tackle.)

I didn't expect Justice to be where he apparently is (looking at carries yesterday.) Based on the two scrimmages, their 1-2 punch is Jam and Justice.

I didn't expect to hear Saban mention four of the tight ends, by name, in a press conference. Sure, we've seen Saban single guys out. This has a different feel. Hell, Ouzts may be 75% right now and he's pointed out? (The last time we had this type of attention to the tight ends, and it wasn't to this degree, was when Saban hired McElwain.)

Law is the first name to crop up today, last week it was Benson. Those two, with Adams (a bit of a spring surprise,) Brooks, Burton, and Prentice. It looks like a solid, not spectacular, but solid group. I appreciate seeing the "three B's" have good scrimmages last week and then we have Law and Prentice having big days yesterday.

After wading through messages and reflecting on a few conversations yesterday ... A few thoughts this morning on the offense:

I didn't expect to be looking at the offense after two-third's of the practices with my only real question mark falling at QB.

I didn't expect the offensive line to be as close to "set" as it is. It sure looks like they knew who their best five were (including Prichett) before camp started. (Seth at center flanked by Dalcourt and Booker with Latham at right tackle.)

I didn't expect Justice to be where he apparently is (looking at carries yesterday.) Based on the two scrimmages, their 1-2 punch is Jam and Justice.

I didn't expect to hear Saban mention four of the tight ends, by name, in a press conference. Sure, we've seen Saban single guys out. This has a different feel. Hell, Ouzts may be 75% right now and he's pointed out? (The last time we had this type of attention to the tight ends, and it wasn't to this degree, was when Saban hired McElwain.)

Law is the first name to crop up today, last week it was Benson. Those two, with Adams (a bit of a spring surprise,) Brooks, Burton, and Prentice. It looks like a solid, not spectacular, but solid group. I appreciate seeing the "three B's" have good scrimmages last week and then we have Law and Prentice having big days yesterday.

Anything on Bond? He'd a guy I thought would explode in Year 2.

Love hearing that about Justice. He was my guy in this last class, along with Downs. So excited to have him.

So, on RB: What does that mean for the remaining RBs:

Mccellan, and Williams ? I would've thought those would be the 1 and 2 heading into 1st game. Sounds like one of those guys could transfer?
Please don't take my comments as an indication of how the rotation will run. The point was how far along Justice is compared to the majority of freshmen.

We've got 15 years of examples telling us we aren't going to see a frosh come in and displace a guy like Jase. His (JH) carries this spring are only half of the story: what does he do without the ball?

IF there's anyone who might worry about their spot in the rotation, it's Roydell. Saban has traditionally gone with a 1-2 punch at running back: a two man crew, so to speak. So far that looks to be Jase and Jam. The question is whether we see a 3 and 4 , or a 3A and 3B (Roydell and Justice.)

As a side note: I've heard that Coach Burns (attended several of this spring's practices) is really impressed with Justice. As wild as this may seem, I'm told Rodney Orr reports his sources have told him they think this may be the most talented running back room Saban has had in his tenure in Tuscaloosa?

1) Alabama has a very strong backfield​

Freshman Justice Haynes was as good as advertised, maybe better, and sophomore Jam Miller is also having quite a spring. Roydell Williams looks to be the short-yardage back, especially when the Crimson Tide gets near the end zone.

Remember, top-rated prospect Richard Young isn't due to arrive until this summer.

2) The quarterback competition continues​

The guess here is that for A-Day the coaching staff will initially split the quarterbacks like every other unit and then mix them up as the exhibition game develops. So it'll initially be redshirt sophomore Jalen Milroe leading the first-team unit and redshirt freshman Ty Simpson guiding the second-team offense, with freshmen Eli Holstein and Dylan Lonergan backing them up. At some point, Milroe and Simpson will switch.

Why expect Milroe to get the initial look with the first team? He's older and has more experience.

We're hearing that Milroe had the better overall day in the scrimmage, but if so not by a whole lot. His afternoon was highlighted by a long touchdown to wide receiver Kendrick law for about 75 yards, but both quarterbacks turned the ball over.

Also, yes, junior-college transfer Malik Benson more than passes the eye test at wide receiver.

3) The offensive line​

Offensive line coach Eric Wolford rotated a lot of players, but most of the time the first-team unit was from left to right: Elijah Pritchett, Darrian Dalcourt, Seth McLaughlin, Tyler Booker and JC Latham. When Dalcourt moved over to center, Terrence Ferguson came in at guard.

We're hearing that freshman Kayden Proctor is already making a push at left tackle. Keep an eye out for No. 74 during A-Day.

4) The defensive front seven​

Jaheim Oatis is a monster. He may be the frontrunner among breakout candidates, especially on the defensive side. Finally cleared to play again, defensive end Justin Eboigbe is rounding into playing shape.

At linebacker, Chris Braswell, Deontae Lawson and Dallas Turner have all been out, but Georgia transfer Trezmen Marshall, Jihaad Campbell and Shawn Murphy all looked good, and Kendrick Blackshire also played well in the scrimmage.

Alabama appears to be developing some nice depth.

5) The secondary​

Freshman Caleb Downs has been the talk of camp as he continues to get reps with the first-team defense and is making it tough on coaches not to keep him on the field. He's not shy in run support and also played well in coverage.

Downs was paired with Malachi Moore at safety (which may be more of a natural position for the senior than at star), with Kool-Aid McKinstry and Terrion Arnold the corners.

When extra defensive backs were utilized, redshirt freshman Earl Little II was at star, and senior Kristian Story was the dime (and on one play put quite a lick on Miller). Among the reserves, Jahquez Robinson had a pickoff.

Finally, Downs looked to be McKinstry's backup on punt returns, or at least the coaches wanted to see how he handled it. Law and Jermaine Burton were paired together on kick returns. We're hearing that punter James Burnip has taken another leap forward in his development.

My favorite thing about the whole A-Day steak vs. hotdogs & beans thing is the guys eat steak most every day. And honestly, the hotdogs and beans they serve? Look kinda tasty. I know when I was 19/20 and in school, I certainly had worse... I was eating Van Camp's straight from the can, not the good stuff prepared by a chef.

Back
Top Bottom