| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Second Half Offensive Explosion Leads to 32-point Victory Over Miami in ESPN Events Invitational Final Round

That's IS my point. It hasn't. As mentioned earlier when the Tide has shot in that .500 range from the line they're 7-4.
Ok will need to look at who those 11 teams are. I am thinking about close games against quality opponents. Maybe I am completely off base especially since the latest Iona and UCLA games are fresh on my mind.

Ok will need to look at who those 11 teams are. I am thinking about close games against quality opponents. Maybe I am completely off base especially since the latest Iona and UCLA games are fresh on my mind.
I mentioned the Clemson game earlier in the thread. Bama shot .860 something from the line and lost. But from three in that game? It was around .135-.140. 3 for 22 as I recall.

As to who is in those 11 games: Auburn and Tennessee from last season are two wins shooting that low of a percentage.

Get Oats' teams out of rhythm and it's likely a W no matter whom they are playing.

I mentioned the Clemson game earlier in the thread. Bama shot .860 something from the line and lost. But from three in that game? It was around .135-.140. 3 for 22 as I recall.

As to who is in those 11 games: Auburn and Tennessee from last season are two wins shooting that low of a percentage.

Get Oats' teams out of rhythm and it's likely a W no matter whom they are playing.
To me do the foundational things well and you are giving your self the best chance at being successful. Same with turnovers. In football it is penalties like procedure calls and/or turnovers. Just play clean and you immediately put yourself in a better position to win the game.

With all that said with the OOC schedule it is certainly accelerating the identity of the team. They are learning their strengths and weakness and hopefully they can get improvement in some of those weaknesses before the conference schedule begins. The hardest part of their OOC is still ahead of them. Honestly they are sitting in better shape than I expected to start the season. After watching Gonzaga and Duke last night this team is not at their level. Pretty big gap from what I have seen.

True. But can grab a ball and go shoot all day long.

A little harder with golf for tbe average person
You can pick up a golf club, play all day long every week, and still work to break 90. I've seen it far too many times.

There's a point in "harder to do" making that not the best of analogies.

There's a few similarities but I'll start with this one. The better ones you see started young. Secondly, in both cases, those with good coaching starting young do well.

How many of these players you see get free throw coaching when they're developing their skills?

You can pick up a golf club, play all day long every week, and still work to break 90. I've seen it far too many times.

There's a point in "harder to do" making that not the best of analogies.

There's a few similarities but I'll start with this one. The better ones you see started young. Secondly, in both cases, those with good coaching starting young do well.

How many of these players you see get free throw coaching when they're developing their skills?
For the average person. Harder to do

ORLANDO – Alabama used a dominant second half to roll to an impressive 96-64 win over Miami on Sunday in the final round of the ESPN Events Invitational. The Crimson Tide outscored the Hurricanes by a score of 63-34 over the final 20 minutes of play, as UA finished the event with a 2-1 record.

The Crimson Tide (6-1) was led by senior Keon Ellis' 22 points on the night, 17 of which came in the big second half. Junior Jaden Shackelford finished with 15 on the strength of five treys while freshman JD Davison had his first career double-double and finished four rebounds shy of a triple-double, with 13 points, 10 assists and six double-doubles. Juwan Gary also reached double digits for a second-straight game, adding 13 points and five rebounds.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments​

"I thought our second half was as good as any we've played this year. It was good to get that under our belt before we left for Seattle. I thought our defensive intensity was terrific. We tell our guys all the time to just lose themselves in the game, the offense will take care of itself. Our defense really started to pick up at the end of the first half. We made shots and got the ball moving. I think we had four assists and nine turnovers in the first half and turned that into 18 assists and four turnovers in the second half. I'm happy for a lot of our guys and I thought our play was a lot better. It would have been nice to beat Iona and get in the championship game, but sometimes you have to take a loss to learn from stuff. I thought as the tournament went along, we improved throughout. Continued improvement is what you want to see at this point."

Team Stats​

• The Tide is now 4-2 all-time in the ESPN Events Invitational tournament in Orlando, going 2-1 and winning the consolation bracket in both 2015 and 2021
  • Ellis collected career highs of 22 points 5-of-6 three-point shooting – hitting all five of his second half attempts
  • UA's bench outscored its counterparts by a 34-9 total
  • In two starts over the Tide's last two games, Juwan Gary is averaging 13.5 points and 7.5 rebounds
  • After going down by a score of 27-18 in the first half, Alabama outscored Miami 38-10 over a span of 15:58 that began at the 6:22 mark of the first half and ended at the 10:24 mark of the second half
  • Alabama had 11 players contribute points to tonight's 96-64 win

I missed every game this last week unfortunately. I'll have to go back and see how the team performed. Overall, we came out with the record I anticipated. The loss to Iona hurts, but their win really came from the familiarity with Alabama's offense from matchup in March and poor FT shooting. Sometimes we need wakeup calls like this to really refocus the team and get them to value trips to the charity stripe. Still a lot to work on before conference play. The meat grinder of our OOC is up next.

Here is where the explosion began.

• After a 13-2 run gave Miami its largest lead of the half (27-18) with 6:22 to play, UA staged a 15-3 run to take the team into the break with a three-point lead
  • After going down by a score of 27-18 in the first half, Alabama outscored Miami 38-10 over a span of 15:58 that began at the 6:22 mark of the first half and ended at the 10:24 mark of the second half

Was on the road last night, and of course lost signal on the game about 10 minutes into the 1st half. Was pretty thrilled when I got signal back with about 10 minutes to play, and Bama was throttling them and seemingly hitting every shot. I'm going to watch it on DVR late tonight or early in the am.

Back
Top Bottom