| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Second Half Offensive Explosion Leads to 32-point Victory Over Miami in ESPN Events Invitational Final Round

B

Bama News

Screenshot 2021-11-25 5.30.28 AM.png

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama will travel away from Coleman Coliseum for the first time this season when it competes in the ESPN Events Invitational, which will be played Nov. 25, 26 and 28 at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. The Crimson Tide will open the event against Iona, which will tip off on Thanksgiving Day at 4 p.m. CT (5 p.m. ET) on ESPN or ESPN2.

The Crimson Tide and Gaels will be a rematch of the 2021 NCAA Tournament first round contest which was played in Indianapolis. Alabama won that game, 68-55, to advance to the Round of 32. The winner/loser of that contest will play the winner/loser of the Belmont vs. Drake game Friday.

This marks the second time that Alabama will appear in the ESPN Events Invitational. The Crimson Tide went 2-1 in the 2015 edition of the tournament. Alabama opened the event with a 64-45 loss to then-No. 22 Xavier in the opener but responded with back-to-back wins over Wichita State 64-60) and Notre Dame (74-73).

The Broadcast​

• Thursday's game will be available on ESPN or ESPN2 with Doug Sherman (play-by-play) and Daymeon Fishback (analyst) on the call
  • The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Roger Hoover (play-by-play) and Bryan Passink (analyst) on the call. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

Did Iona bring back a lot of players from last year or is there a significant roster turnover for them?
There's turnover that's expected with the portal. Pitino pulled in a few guys they expected to make an immediate impact. It's a solid ball team that's very likely a conference champion.

I think Bediako is going to have his hands full with their big man (his name isn't Van Dyke but I'm close.) I heard some compliments to their 4 ... french sounding name, John Pierre or something like that.

Geez...maybe I need to look at a roster, ya think?

Junior Joseph is a name I do remember and that's his last name? :eek:

There's turnover that's expected with the portal. Pitino pulled in a few guys they expected to make an immediate impact. It's a solid ball team that's very likely a conference champion.

I think Bediako is going to have his hands full with their big man (his name isn't Van Dyke but I'm close.) I heard some compliments to their 4 ... french sounding name, John Pierre or something like that.

Geez...maybe I need to look at a roster, ya think?

Junior Joseph is a name I do remember and that's his last name? :eek:
So Bama needs to play well or they could take an L? Lets hope they do play well.

Pitino put on a coaching clinic the last 11:00 minutes of the game. His team responded. The Alabama team can’t hit 3’s, free throws and as always throws the ball away playing out of control.

Lack of fundamentals will always get you beat against a decent team especially one that is coached well. FT's yet again come back to to bite Bama just like last year against UCLA. I do not want to take credit away from Iona but I am going to, this is about Bama's issues. Pure speculation on my part because I have really not looked at the other teams but Iona is likely the worst team they are going to play going forward in this OOC stretch where they play tournament teams from last year.

A pretty fitting ending... they big-boy'd Bama on both ends at the rim. Flush it.
There's the reason I was thinking about Bediako before the game. If this game were to be played two months from now I doubt that happens: tonight was an experience difference with both of their guys.

A loss like this to a Petrino coached team has a different feel; I can appreciate the way they won.

If only Petrino would have stayed at Kentucky...Wooden would have been supplanted like Saban and Bryant.

ORLANDO – The No. 10/9 Alabama men's basketball team dropped a narrow 72-68 decision to Iona in the opening round of the ESPN Events Invitational Thursday night. The Crimson Tide held the lead throughout a majority of the contest, however, the Gaels used a 14-3 second half run to take the lead for good.

Alabama was led on the night by Jaden Shackelford's double-double of 19 points and 10 rebounds, while backcourt mate Jahvon Quinerly was the only other player to reach double-digits with 15 in the loss. The Tide also struggled shooting the ball, knocking down just 5-of-17 (29.4 percent) from beyond the arc and only 13-of-25 (52.0 percent) from the charity stripe.

Team Stats​

• Shackelford recorded his team-leading second double-double this season (10 points and 10 rebounds vs. South Alabama)
  • Alabama shot 44.6 percent from the floor (25-of-58) as Iona went 44.1 percent (26-of-59) in field goal percentage
  • The Tide pulled down 38 rebounds to lead the Gaels in the stat line who had 31
  • The back-and-forth battle saw the score tied on 10 occasions and the lead change seven times
  • Alabama led for 28:01 of the contest including all but the final four minutes of the second half, while Iona only held a lead for 7:56

First Half​

• Quinerly and Shackelford paced the floor, each scoring double-digits with 10 points to account for 20 of UA's 33 first half point total
  • Neither team led by more than four points throughout opening 20 minutes
  • The first half saw seven ties and six lead changes
  • Alabama owned a big edge on the boards in the first half, outrebounding the Gaels, 20-12
  • The Tide also led in points off turnovers, scoring nine points compared to four from the Gaels
  • UA shot 52 percent from the floor while holding Iona to 37.5 percent

Second Half​

• Alabama was able to build its largest of the game at 46-37 with 12:27 remaining, however, Iona responded with a 10-1 run over the next nearly three minutes to draw even at 47-47
  • The Crimson Tide was able to build its lead back up and led by six, 56-50, with 7:55 remaining
  • Iona responded by outscored the Tide, 14-3, over the next 4:23 to take a 64-59 lead
  • UA was able to draw within one on two separate occasions down the stretch, but Iona held on for the win

Up Next​

• Alabama will take on the loser of Drake and Belmont Friday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. ET (3:30 p.m. CT) on ESPNU

Back
Top Bottom