| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Second Half Offensive Explosion Leads to 32-point Victory Over Miami in ESPN Events Invitational Final Round

Tide also struggled shooting the ball, knocking down just 5-of-17 (29.4 percent) from beyond the arc and only 13-of-25 (52.0 percent) from the charity stripe.
This is the Oat's system. Shoot well and they bury their opponents if not it will be a tight game where FT shooting and turnovers become critical. Probably stating the obvious but when they lose a close game the difference will be in one of these areas. BTW I also thought the D played well enough to win and was better than I expected given the loss of Herb Jones. The team also controlled the boards. They had a lot of good which is why it was frustrating to see them lose it at the FT line.

Maybe when they put in the extra time shooting they need to work in more time at the FT line. Kind of seeing a pattern from last year. Hope one that Oats can get fixed.
The guys missing the free throws last night are the same ones they want at the line: JQ and JD had off nights which goes against their "pattern."

To me, it's far too simplistic to point to one area from last night. Seriously, if he'd gone with his left hand, on a left handed layup, there's a good chance we would have seen them go into overtime. Would the shot have been blocked? Too simplistic there as well.

This game was just like last years tournament from my point of view. Pitino had that defense prepared to take Bama out of their offensive game plan. Last year Bama had the depth and experience to make it through that game. This year we were watching a true freshman go against a lot of experience

A "pattern" we saw is a cliche, "live and die by the three." It makes this game look a lot like the fifth game of last season where they lost to Clemson: a 3-22 versus a 4-21 from the arc last night.

Personally, I'd rather see a Bama team face Coach Cal coached team six out of seven days a week than see Bama face a Pitino coached team one of seven days in a week.

I'm not as worried here as some. We knew there would be some close calls this year as ax growing pains. Some we win, some we lose. It's what happens when you lose talent and bring in new talent. Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Memphis, Kansas have all been fortunate enough to reload like our football team, but they are the exception to the rule. These guys we have are talented and will get it figured out.

I now think we get smoked by Gonzaga because we just aren't there yet. That's ok, I just hope we show some growth and fight for atleast a half, unlike UCLA.

We are gonna lose more than six games this year and I'm fine with that as well...as long as we make the tournament. I say that because I know we have the talent to beat just about anyone so I know we'll be in just about every game we play. These guys will only get better.

The guys missing the free throws last night are the same ones they want at the line: JQ and JD had off nights which goes against their "pattern."

To me, it's far too simplistic to point to one area from last night. Seriously, if he'd gone with his left hand, on a left handed layup, there's a good chance we would have seen them go into overtime. Would the shot have been blocked? Too simplistic there as well.

This game was just like last years tournament from my point of view. Pitino had that defense prepared to take Bama out of their offensive game plan. Last year Bama had the depth and experience to make it through that game. This year we were watching a true freshman go against a lot of experience

A "pattern" we saw is a cliche, "live and die by the three." It makes this game look a lot like the fifth game of last season where they lost to Clemson: a 3-22 versus a 4-21 from the arc last night.

Personally, I'd rather see a Bama team face Coach Cal coached team six out of seven days a week than see Bama face a Pitino coached team one of seven days in a week.
Understood but if you are going to go where people believe the Basketball program wants to go your biggest challenge is not going to be a Petino coached Iona team. Do not mean to play the whatif game but if they hit their FT's they win this game even with Petino coaching. Probably is to simplistic but I believe it is true. 52% is horrendous anytime.

Maybe when they put in the extra time shooting they need to work in more time at the FT line. Kind of seeing a pattern from last year. Hope one that Oats can get fixed.
I imagine they spend a considerable amount of time shooting FTs in practice too. When I coached in HS, I sat aside various amounts of time during practice to shoot FTs. We started with 20, drill inside/outside offense, shoot 10-20 more, zone/man D, shoot 10 more, rebound drills, shoot some more, and on and on for probably a 100 or so every practice. I imagine CNO has plenty of FTs worked in as well. It all boils down to focus and execution. Didn’t help when our two best go to the line and they brick them. Those are the guys we want there.

Understood but if you are going to go where people believe the Basketball program wants to go your biggest challenge is not going to be a Petino coached Iona team. Do not mean to play the whatif game but if they hit their FT's they win this game even with Petino coaching. Probably is to simplistic but I believe it is true. 52% is horrendous anytime.
I think you're missing the point; where I was looking at an earlier theme: patterns.

No one is going to say a 50% pace from the line is good. In a four point loss, sure a few free throws make the game go the other way.

However, I don't see that as a pattern with this team or their losses; this season or last.

When these teams are shooting in the .500 range they're winning more than they're losing: 7-4 counting last nights loss.

I think you're missing the point; where I was looking at an earlier theme: patterns.

No one is going to say a 50% pace from the line is good. In a four point loss, sure a few free throws make the game go the other way.

However, I don't see that as a pattern with this team or their losses; this season or last.

When these teams are shooting in the .500 range they're winning more than they're losing: 7-4 counting last nights loss.
The pattern I see is a really bad free throw shooting night against a quality opponent in a close game ends in L's more times that not. Yes stating the obvious. I only got to see the last 8-10 minutes today. It was 51-49 when I started watching. Still had some FT struggles but better down the stretch. Resulted in a comfortable win.

ORLANDO – Alabama forward Juwan Gary earned his first start of the year and recorded his second double-double of his career to help lead the No. 10/9 Crimson Tide to an 80-71 victory over the Drake Bulldogs in the consolation bracket of the ESPN Events Invitational. With the victory, Alabama advances to take on Miami Sunday night at 5:30 p.m. CT (6:30 p.m. ET).

After finishing the opening stanza with only four points and two boards, Gary concluded the contest with a career-best 14 points and tied his career high of 10 rebounds in the victory. Junior Jahvon Quinerly led all scorers with 18 points, while junior Jaden Shackelford added 14 points, five rebounds and four assists on the night.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments​

"I am really proud of our guys tonight. We didn't shoot free throws well again. We didn't shoot it well from three again. We turned it over too much, yet we still found a way to get a nine-point win against a quality team. I thought defensively for large stretches of the game, we were pretty good and we played the right way on offense. We had too many turnovers, but guys tried to play the right way and move the ball. For us to bounce back after a disappointing loss yesterday (vs. Iona), the guys could have hung their heads and not played hard. I thought we played hard. I thought Noah also had his best game since he's been here. For large stretches, I thought we were really good but there is still a lot to clean up before we play Miami Sunday."

We had an old guy come to my school in Florence around the early 90’s. Probably mid-sixties in age. He had been a free throw shooter for a few decades and it was part of his gig. He spoke for a few minutes and then hit 20 straight. Then spoke a few more, 20 straight… He hit 100 straight by the end of the talk. Never missed one. Maybe that’s like hitting 14 of 14 fairways and also 18 of 18 greens in regulation.

As a team my senior year we shot 84%, even with the big guys in there. It was something we spent a lot of time on and it won us several close games. Freakin Sand Mountain fools bear is in sub-state. We were struggling to breathe by halftime and they were still running full speed. Damn mountain air stuff was legit, even though they weren’t that high up. Talk about home field advantage.

We had an old guy come to my school in Florence around the early 90’s. Probably mid-sixties in age. He had been a free throw shooter for a few decades and it was part of his gig. He spoke for a few minutes and then hit 20 straight. Then spoke a few more, 20 straight… He hit 100 straight by the end of the talk. Never missed one. Maybe that’s like hitting 14 of 14 fairways and also 18 of 18 greens in regulation.
I don't know how old you are but there was a guy who did that back in the 80's...Christiansen (sp?) was his last name. His was an all day clinic in Huntsville.

Back
Top Bottom