| BSB/SB ⚾ SEC Tournament: Alabama’s Run in Hoover Ends with 9-2 Loss to Eighth-Ranked Vanderbilt

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Bracket set for Hoover. Games start on Tuesday, including Bama vs. Kentucky in game 1 of the evening session. Kentucky took 2 of 3 from the Tide in Tuscaloosa earlier this season, but Alabama didn't play too well in that series overall. The Wildcats put pressure on you... hit well, lots of movement on the bases, play small ball when needed 1-9, etc. They do all the little things right at the plate and in the field. They were #2 in the RPI as of this morning. All Tuesday games are single elimination, after that, double.

IMG_3631.jpeg

Tide going with a bullpen start tomorrow and saving the starters for (hopefully) an extra day, which would be vs. UF. Hunter Furtado will start... he has the ability to pitch several several innings, but I think they'll let him go until he runs into trouble... hopefully they'll get 3 out of him... anything more is a bonus. Teams will sit on his fastball, but he has been better the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully he's sharp tomorrow night and the Bama bats can get hot early.

I am hoping to be out there this afternoon for the game and taking a few pictures of course, yesterday they had a Rise 2 Greatness event for 500 kids and had some former MLB players there and gave each kid a new glove plus a bunch of other items and trained them on a few things and I swear kids need to get outside more because I did not see any that could catch

I am hoping to be out there this afternoon for the game and taking a few pictures of course, yesterday they had a Rise 2 Greatness event for 500 kids and had some former MLB players there and gave each kid a new glove plus a bunch of other items and trained them on a few things and I swear kids need to get outside more because I did not see any that could catch

Oh yeah, a serious problem in youth sports today. In our little town it has caused the dumbing down of the game and equipment. Play with these padded like baseballs and with some very dead bats that keep kids from hitting the ball too hard. When I say that, I mean you have to launch one just to get it to the outfield anymore. Your beat player has to play forst because he's the only kid that can catch, but he's clearly a shortstop. It's bad these days. No one works with their kids.

99.9% of the talent and kids that are encouraged to work, play travel ball. Even most of the average kids play A or a lower tier of AA travel ball.
A=like an all star league team
AA=4 or 5 kids that can get after it little and a hand full of lower tier kids.
AAA/major=some pretty badass ball players all the way around….

99.9% of the talent and kids that are encouraged to work, play travel ball. Even most of the average kids play A or a lower tier of AA travel ball.
A=like an all star league team
AA=4 or 5 kids that can get after it little and a hand full of lower tier kids.
AAA/major=some pretty badass ball players all the way around….

We are teetering on the AAA threshold right now. We look like a Major team some days, then a low level AA team the next. We need one or two players and we will have a pretty solid travel ball team, especially with the population we pull from. Our county is 20,000 people big, we probably have 200 - 9 year olds, and our ten kid team can stick with the East Cobb Astros for about three innings before we give way to depth. East Cobb is pulling from probably 10,000 nine year olds plus all the others from the state and out of it that travel to play there. Pretty remarkable we can play with them considering that, but we are still a couple kids away.

We are teetering on the AAA threshold right now. We look like a Major team some days, then a low level AA team the next. We need one or two players and we will have a pretty solid travel ball team, especially with the population we pull from. Our county is 20,000 people big, we probably have 200 - 9 year olds, and our ten kid team can stick with the East Cobb Astros for about three innings before we give way to depth. East Cobb is pulling from probably 10,000 nine year olds plus all the others from the state and out of it that travel to play there. Pretty remarkable we can play with them considering that, but we are still a couple kids away.
That’s pretty impressive!!!! When my son played, we pulled from a escambia, Santa Rosa, okaloosa counties in FL. Escambia, Baldwin counties in AL. We had a solid group when my son was younger. Could compete with most teams, traveled all over. As he got older we cut it back some and stayed in the southeast. Tried not to burn my son out, but did a little anyway. He was really good, but didn’t love it the older he got

That’s pretty impressive!!!! When my son played, we pulled from a escambia, Santa Rosa, okaloosa counties in FL. Escambia, Baldwin counties in AL. We had a solid group when my son was younger. Could compete with most teams, traveled all over. As he got older we cut it back some and stayed in the southeast. Tried not to burn my son out, but did a little anyway. He was really good, but didn’t love it the older he got

We looked likd the Bad News Bears this past weekend. It was ugly. I about went Jimmy Dougan on all of them.

Can't overstate how well Furtado pitched... he's a much better pitcher now than he was to start the year. Pinckney did Pinckney things. Thought he'd be 1st team all-SEC this season, and he would have been had it not been for a midseason lull. He's fun to watch, not just with the bat, but in the field. A 5 tool guy. Other than having to burn Davis tonight, things are set up well now for UF tomorrow.

Here's to hoping Mizzou somehow shuts out auburn to make it 4 in a row on the day!

Back
Top Bottom