| MBB/WBB đźŹ† Alabama Falls to Kentucky, 71-58, in Second Round of SEC Tournament

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Staff

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The sixth-seeded Alabama women's basketball team will open the 2023 Southeastern Conference Tournament on Thursday, facing Kentucky in the second round of action at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, S.C. The game will begin 25 minutes after the conclusion of game five on SEC Network.

The Game​

• Alabama (20-9, 9-7 SEC) vs. Kentucky (10-18, 2-14 SEC)
  • Series History: 54th meeting vs. Wildcats (Kentucky leads 35-18)

How to Follow​

• SEC Network
    • Courtney Lyle (PxP), Carolyn Peck (Analyst) and Brooke Weisbrod (reporter)
  • CTSN
    • Roger Hoover (play-by-play) on the call
  • Updates will be provided on the team's official Twitter account, @AlabamaWBB

Bounced out of the SEC tournament by Kentucky. The great 10 year Alabama head coach KC with all 5 returning starters from last year gets slapped around by a 3rd Kentucky coach. It’s obvious why there are no fans in the stands at home games. She is a terrible coach.

Curry was necessary for our program IMO. In terms of all time success, it's probably the worst program on campus. She's done a good job, but is not what Alabama needs. I'd hope we have higher aspirations than what she's done. Curry should go ahead and retire, then allow Byrne to go after Karl Smesko. He has Florida Gulf Coast as the 15th best scoring offense in the country (#1 in 3-point attempts per game), has built the program up from scratch, and is young. That'd be my choice at least.

Curry’s time at Bama is long over due. She has been there 10 years going to 4 WNIT’s and 2 NCAA appearances counting this year. Even though she has been at South Carolina 14 years, in the past 10 years, Dawn Staley has 5 SEC regular season championships, 6 SEC tournament championships, 3 final 4 NCAA tournament appearances, and 2 NC’s and probably a 3rd this year. Not mention when she got there SC was a dumpster fire just like Bama when Curry took over in 2013.

Curry’s time at Bama is long over due. She has been there 10 years going to 4 WNIT’s and 2 NCAA appearances counting this year. Even though she has been at South Carolina 14 years, in the past 10 years, Dawn Staley has 5 SEC regular season championships, 6 SEC tournament championships, 3 final 4 NCAA tournament appearances, and 2 NC’s and probably a 3rd this year. Not mention when she got there SC was a dumpster fire just like Bama when Curry took over in 2013.

Would not shock me a bit that now that she's tenured in the AL system, that she doesn't end up sort of like Duckworth did in the next year or so. I think she's pretty well liked on the women's side of the AD... I could even see her sliding into a spot in the department possibly? I don't think she will be the HC too much longer though... support from those who matter is eroding. Probably the best thing she has going for her right now is Bama is still better than auburn (for now anyway... no idea how good their new coach is going to be).

Back
Top Bottom