| BSB/SB ⚾ Baseball Falls in High-Scoring Affair with Top-Ranked LSU, 13-11

Down Hess and Hitt going into the series, then lose Holman before his Friday night start... that's 3 of our top 4 SP's on the self. To be honest, while any of the 3 games were considered winnable, it was surprising to me that things weren't even worse (in terms of being completive). Being behind the 8 ball and having to use the pen in game 1 was a killer and they never really recovered from it. It forced more midweek type arms into the frying pan, facing a monster lineup anchored by a guy that's as close to MLB ready as any college hitter I've seen in a while. Will say I was not a fan of putting Furtado into game situation they put him in today... Jason Jackson, for reasons I'm unsure of, sees him as a high leverage arm in SEC play. I don't want to knock the kid, and the throws hard, but it's flat... it's basically batting practice to a squad like LSU. In fairness, our other guys didn't fare much better as a group. Regardless of the questionable moves, the guys still have to come in and throw strikes. I think a couple of guys were trying too hard not to make a mistake and it cost them anyway.

I'm not predicting a CWS run, but if Bama can get Hitt and Holman back soon (as expected), it should make them a tough out in any regional as long as the bats stay hot. But you don't need to be top 4 in the SEC to make a CWS run... it just isn't comparable to other conferences. Just last year, Ole Miss had a 14-16 league record and took home the hardware.
be99fb73-60ba-44f4-b13b-afff74fec976_text.gif

I'll just say this... this team has been frustrating for most of the year... they've lost a handful of SEC games they should have won. There are issues with the coaching. There are injury issues. But the team has talent, and they've got veteran talent, especially at the plate. 1-9, they are capable and skilled... they just don't have guys like Dylan Crews and Tommy White for LSU. The one thing that concerns me a little is how the young arms in the pen play down the stretch... which is why having the starters healthy is so important.

BTW, for those not tuned in, Max Guscettte took a ball right to the throat (went under the mask) today late in the game. He got up immediately but then pretty much collapsed (was caught by the trainer) a minute or so later. Was a scary for a second because once he fell, the trainers and team Dr. at LSU immediately went running out to him too. He to be (literally) carried off the field, but the news after the game was good.

BATON ROUGE, La. – Alabama baseball traded blows with the nation's top-ranked team as the Tide fell, 13-11, to LSU in Sunday's high-scoring affair at Alex Box Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 30-15 on the season and 9-12 in Southeastern Conference play.

The two offenses combined for 24 runs and 20 hits on getaway day with at least one team scoring in all nine innings. Alabama got ahead early with one in the first, but a two-run second and one tally in third gave the Tigers the 3-1 lead after three full. The Tide answered with three apiece in the fourth and fifth to regain the advantage, but a six-run home half of the fifth put LSU in front. The Tide added one in the sixth with the score at 9-8 in favor of the Tigers headed to the final three frames.

Alabama tied things up with one in the seventh before the Tigers regained the lead thanks to a pair of runs after the stretch. LSU was then able to tack on a pair in the eighth to make it a four-run ballgame entering the ninth. Alabama cut the lead to two with a two-run home run from Tommy Seidl in that ninth and had the tying run at the plate, but a lineout to the gap ended things at 13-11 in favor of LSU.

The Tide offense was led by its' 1-2 hitters in Jim Jarvis and Tommy Seidl. Jarvis finished 3-for-5 with two doubles, two RBI, a pair of runs scored and one walk, while Seidl went 3-for-5 with a homer, two RBI, two runs and a hit-by-pitch. Also homering for UA was Drew Williamson, who went 1-for-4 with a solo shot and two walks.

LSU reliever Riley Cooper (3-2) was handed the win while the Tide's Hunter Hoopes (1-1) suffered the loss.

From Head Coach Brad Bohannon

"I loved the way we competed. Playing on the road against the No. 1 team in the country, the No. 1 offense in the country, in a weekend where the wind was blowing out to right, without our three weekend starters from three weeks ago – we knew it was going to be a challenge to slow them down. Positionally, we did a great job of fighting and continuing to score, but we just didn't do enough out of the bullpen."

Playing with LSU just shows that we have talent and can compete. For whatever reason(s) we just cant seem to get over the hump. There is no reason we cannot be a power in baseball. It will take a work by our coaching staff but it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom