| FTBL Random thoughts on the game/rest of the season

LAmike

1. Great game, great preparation by the staff, great effort by the team. Yes, mistakes were made, but one can't fault anyone we're you're making them full speed.
2.As a competitor, it's hard to feel good about coming in second in a two horse race. Having said that,as a fan I'm pleased with where we are, and even more pleased with where we're going!
3. I predicted 7-8 wins before the season. I also predicted one upset win and one upset loss.I thought TN or AUB were the most likely candidates for an upset win with Ole Miss our upset loss. Never did I think we would give LSU all they wanted given the talent disparity.I now am worried that MS ST could be our upset loss if the team doesn't put this one behind them quickly.
4. IS IT JUST ME , OR DOES LES MILES REMIND YOU OF ELMER FUDD?! "Well, we'll show dat wascally Saban whose boss!"

We're a couple recruiting classes away from being right where we need to be. Staff's in place foundation is laid. We're on our way.

LAmike said:
1. Great game, great preparation by the staff, great effort by the team. Yes, mistakes were made, but one can't fault anyone we're you're making them full speed.
2.As a competitor, it's hard to feel good about coming in second in a two horse race. Having said that,as a fan I'm pleased with where we are, and even more pleased with where we're going!
3. I predicted 7-8 wins before the season. I also predicted one upset win and one upset loss.I thought TN or AUB were the most likely candidates for an upset win with Ole Miss our upset loss. Never did I think we would give LSU all they wanted given the talent disparity.I now am worried that MS ST could be our upset loss if the team doesn't put this one behind them quickly.
4. IS IT JUST ME , OR DOES LES MILES REMIND YOU OF ELMER FUDD?! "Well, we'll show dat wascally Saban whose boss!"

All excellent points.

On number 4 however, I'll disagree. I'd have to give the Elmer Fudd award to Verne Lundquist. He's like a combination of Fudd and Humpty Dumpty - assuming Humpty Dumpty's brain was scrambled when he had his great fall. :lol:

What I don't understand about the way the media/LSU fans talk about Miles vs. Saban is the way they say Miles is somehow more "likeable" than Saban. I don't get that at all.

Miles has that perma-snarl with that nervous wince/tick thing going on. He seems ready to bite the head off of most reporters during news conferences/interviews.

Contrast that with Saban who usually has nothing but good things to say about his opponents. He seems fairly cordial to most in the media. He simply has a low tolerence level for idiotic questions. He also doesn't let the media types bait him with questions trying to get certain sound bites for their stories.

The game against Miss State this weekend is huge. HUGE.

The game last night was physically and mentally draining, much like the game earlier this year against Arkansas. We lost the Georgia game the following week because we were still drained and did not come to play the first 20 minutes of the that game.

Miss State is another physical team, especially on offense where they will run, run, run, run until you just wear out on the defensive front. And we have demonstrated a clear weakness in pass coverage when we commit our safeties to run support.

Unless we recover physically quicker than we did following the Arkansas game, and play the first half with a greater sense of purpose and energy than we did against Georgia, I am afraid we will not like the outcome.

We played over our ability in many areas last night. It is difficult, if not impossible, to play at such a peak two consecutive weeks. We are not talented enough to fall too far from that peak and win in Starkville - against a team with a coach supremely motivated to beat the 'school that scorned him' and with a team of overachievers coming off (yet another team with this advantage against UA) an off-week with bowl eligibility staring them in the face.

Back
Top Bottom