| FTBL Post-game nuggets

This is time where Milroe really have to work around the clock to improve his reading of defense.
If he can’t read the defense by now, it’s not going to happen. Time to move on. He’s a change of pace QB that could be a nice complement to the offense. He will make 3-4 big plays per game but will have 5-6 game killers ala last night. It’s suicidal to depend on his arm to win games vs worthy opponents.

If he can’t read the defense by now, it’s not going to happen. Time to move on. He’s a change of pace QB that could be a nice complement to the offense. He will make 3-4 big plays per game but will have 5-6 game killers ala last night. It’s suicidal to depend on his arm to win games vs worthy opponents.
Jalen couldn't read the field for a while. he worked hard in the offseason to improve that skill. Milroe can do the same. He just need to find a real good QB coach That can help him develop that skillset. I have a feeling Simpson will get a different QB coach to train him in the offseason.

If his dad is involved, then he's gone. If his dad isn't involved, then good chance he may stay.. but who knows.

This is a terrible opinion. Mac Jones and Jalen Hurts both show that isn't the best line of thinking. Both took a few years to get to the point where they were masters of their craft.

This is a terrible opinion. Mac Jones and Jalen Hurts both show that isn't the best line of thinking. Both took a few years to get to the point where they were masters of their craft.
This is a classic example of people overreacting to Milroe's development. He came to Alabama raw. He has so much potential to get real better, it just will take time.
Don’t remember MJones not being able to read defenses. So we stick with Milroe and on the job training, finish 4th in the West?
Step away from keyboard...

Please enlighten me on how he has improved since last year? Not being argumentative but it would have to be footwork, progressions or the like. It’s not in accuracy or decision making.

Just getting back to the lake, I'm not going to wade through the posts but:

Sark's game plan was Saban's exact plan against LSU and others when they had a dominant D line. Throw to the margins to make them pursue and pull the safeties up, then play action over the top, and then when the end it near the line is gassed you run to close it out.

Milroe: the audible gasp on the INTs, especially the second, from the crowd as the ball left his hand, said a lot. He can't give the ball away twice a game and overthrow two sure TDs and expect to win the close ones. That being said, Milroe did well with his feet. If either of the other two QBs had played the way they were blitzing, they wouldn't have fared better.
No way to know that.

Jalen couldn't read the field for a while. he worked hard in the offseason to improve that skill. Milroe can do the same. He just need to find a real good QB coach That can help him develop that skillset. I have a feeling Simpson will get a different QB coach to train him in the offseason.

If his dad is involved, then he's gone. If his dad isn't involved, then good chance he may stay.. but who knows.
Too late for Milroe. Off season is behind us.

My thoughts after a two-hour drive back home on I-10: I think the most significant battle Nick Saban will face right now is a battle with himself. Since 2021, I've noticed a developing rot within the program. That rot appears to be a cancer of complacency and lack of player development. To be honest, I first noticed this rot becoming apparent during the 2021 Iron Bowl when we got our ass kicked by a vastly inferior 6-5 Auburn team until Bryce Young bailed us out. I understand it was the Iron Bowl, but to be manhandled by a Bryan Harsin-coached team was completely unacceptable.

In addition to complacency, I fear that our coaches are not developing players as well as they used to. Many of our studs these days are transfers from other teams, and it concerns me that our last homegrown badass WR core was in 2020. When you look at what happened to Bobby Bowden at FSU or Mack Brown at Texas in their later years, you'll be shocked to discover that both coaches were able to recruit in the top 10, and yet both coaches failed to develop those recruiting classes. Alabama's players are starting to look under-coached and underdeveloped. They make silly mistakes and appear to play less disciplined. Last year, we went 11-2 but could've easily gone 9-4 or 8-5 had the winds blown in a different direction. That was with Bryce Young and Will Anderson on the team; this year's team does not have that luxury.

If things are to improve, Nick Saban will have to face himself in the mirror and decide if he has the will and discipline to expel the rat poison within himself. He will have to channel his late 2000s/early 2010s-era perfectionism one last time... The type of perfectionism that showcased him being up the ass of stud players like Julio Jones (LSU game 2009) and AJ McCarron (MSU game 2010) for making inexcusable errors. It will require the ruthlessness he developed towards his assistant coaches like Lane Kiffin. A ruthlessness that held those coaches responsible for developing their respective units. An unrelenting circle of accountability must be established if CNS is to ride out into the sunset one last time.

It upsets me to say that, but our issues are coming from the top of the chain of command. It wasn't necessarily Golding or BOB, and I admit that I placed too much stock into the performance of those coaches (Golding especially). I hope that Saban can do it. I don't expect the Crimson Tide to win the SEC-and maybe even the SEC West- this year. I do however expect them to become more fundamentally sound and disciplined; ultimately laying a foundation for a better future.

My thoughts after a two-hour drive back home on I-10: I think the most significant battle Nick Saban will face right now is a battle with himself. Since 2021, I've noticed a developing rot within the program. That rot appears to be a cancer of complacency and lack of player development. To be honest, I first noticed this rot becoming apparent during the 2021 Iron Bowl when we got our ass kicked by a vastly inferior 6-5 Auburn team until Bryce Young bailed us out. I understand it was the Iron Bowl, but to be manhandled by a Bryan Harsin-coached team was completely unacceptable.

In addition to complacency, I fear that our coaches are not developing players as well as they used to. Many of our studs these days are transfers from other teams, and it concerns me that our last homegrown badass WR core was in 2020. When you look at what happened to Bobby Bowden at FSU or Mack Brown at Texas in their later years, you'll be shocked to discover that both coaches were able to recruit in the top 10, and yet both coaches failed to develop those recruiting classes. Alabama's players are starting to look under-coached and underdeveloped. They make silly mistakes and appear to play less disciplined. Last year, we went 11-2 but could've easily gone 9-4 or 8-5 had the winds blown in a different direction. That was with Bryce Young and Will Anderson on the team; this year's team does not have that luxury.

If things are to improve, Nick Saban will have to face himself in the mirror and decide if he has the will and discipline to expel the rat poison within himself. He will have to channel his late 2000s/early 2010s-era perfectionism one last time... The type of perfectionism that showcased him being up the ass of stud players like Julio Jones (LSU game 2009) and AJ McCarron (MSU game 2010) for making inexcusable errors. It will require the ruthlessness he developed towards his assistant coaches like Lane Kiffin. A ruthlessness that held those coaches responsible for developing their respective units. An unrelenting circle of accountability must be established if CNS is to ride out into the sunset one last time.

It upsets me to say that, but our issues are coming from the top of the chain of command. It wasn't necessarily Golding or BOB, and I admit that I placed too much stock into the performance of those coaches (Golding especially). I hope that Saban can do it. I don't expect the Crimson Tide to win the SEC-and maybe even the SEC West- this year. I do however expect them to become more fundamentally sound and disciplined; ultimately laying a foundation for a better future.

Have a lot of thoughts on this path, but for now I'll say that I think it is true that Bama has slipped in recent years... we've talked about some on here in different areas... from the overall quality of the staff to losing a voice around the program like Cochran, which left a still unfilled void IMO (note I'm talking about his presence and impact on players, not his S&C abilities). But, I also think a lot of it is that other programs have simply caught up... which is natural over time. There's a lot of reasons for that too, a couple being that the landscape is flooded with Saban disciples who take with them knowledge that slowly erodes from Saban's program... Also, it's harder and harder to replace some of the top shelf assistants we've had in the past... guys like Smart and Pruitt on the defensive side. For all his warts, Lane and Sark on the offensive side (though I'm not down on Rees by any means). It’s basically a series of multiple issues in different areas, some of which are a by-product of Bama’s own success… others, not so much…

@Brandon Van de Graaff I think you hit the nail on the head. It is not one or two things. It is a multitude of things. All of those points you make, along with the fact that Saban has admitted that he is not as tough as he was 17 years ago, or even 10 years ago. Look at coaches around the 15 year mark. Mack Brown at Texas 16 years, Phat Phil at Tennessee 17 years, Dabo is technically in year 16, Mark Richt 15 years at UGA. Heck Bear hit a wall in year 11 and 12 at Bama (1968-69). He had to re-invent the offense and went on to a decade of dominance.

In the modern age of CFB, there is a wall that is hit around that mark. If you can weather through it, I think you can evolve and continue to win, but age is not on the side of Saban.

Very intersting points. Just like last year if the team cleans up penatlities and turnovers this is a different game. Why the undisciplined stuff continues is a head scratcher. This is where Saban has to stick a foot up some peoples backsides.

On the topic of Milroe, any QB including BY/Jones/Tua would have been effected with the pass rush Milroe was exposed to last night. Those QB's had more maturity so maybe they would have handled it better but for a Redshirt Sophmore in his 2nd start it was to much. This is on the OL. We know the OL, running game and D had to take some pressure off of Milroe and that did not happen.

One last point, the starting LT is a freshman in his 2nd start. Another of those areas that was a possible issue that we knew could take some time. Just did not expect it because he is a talented kid just young and inexperienced but that was a big stage. CNS has pulled so many rabbits out of his hat over the years just expected another one.

Have a lot of thoughts on this path, but for now I'll say that I think it is true that Bama has slipped in recent years... we've talked about some on here in different areas... from the overall quality of the staff to losing a voice around the program like Cochran, which left a still unfilled void IMO (note I'm talking about his presence and impact on players, not his S&C abilities). But, I also think a lot of it is that other programs have simply caught up... which is natural over time. There's a lot of reasons for that too, a couple being that the landscape is flooded with Saban disciples who take with them knowledge that slowly erodes from Saban's program... Also, it's harder and harder to replace some of the top shelf assistants we've had in the past... guys like Smart and Pruitt on the defensive side. For all his warts, Lane and Sark on the offensive side (though I'm not down on Rees by any means). It’s basically a series of multiple issues in different areas, some of which are a by-product of Bama’s own success… others, not so much…

I made this point last night as well. When we took college football by storm in the late 2000s and early 2010s, you simultaneously saw the immediate decline of Texas, USC, and Florida. Georgia was still comfortable with Richt, and Dabo had yet to establish Clemson. Those conditions enabled us to establish a monopoly on recruiting and having A-tier assistant coaches. And when I use the term "monopoly," I don't mean that in a detrimental way to say we "gamed" the system. CNS outworked and outcoached the entire college football landscape in that era, and the only way teams could fuck with us back then was by utilizing gimmicky offenses.

The game is much more competitive these days, and as you previously stated, Saban's ex-lieutenants are starting to make names for themselves, and college football is becoming much more "multipolar" as they say in geopolitics. It is not going to get easier in the coming years. Here in the Great State of Florida, I predict Norvell and Cristobal will begin re-establishing recruiting dominance in the Sunshine State. USC is re-establishing itself in California, Texas is re-establishing itself in Tejas, and Georgia is Georgia.

I do want to make this clear though: Alabama is not "going away". We will be fine because our program is run by competent people who aren't egotistical shitbags (whom I think were very prevalent after Bear Bryant left) who install puppet coaches like Mike Dubose to run the show. It does mean, though that you will see years where the team goes 9-3 or maybe 8-4 every so often. It does mean though that we are going to have to bust our asses to get kids from Georgia, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, and California; especially in this disgusting era of NIL.

I used to think the notion that teams could "tune out" a great coach during, or even immediately after, a successful run were nonsense. Now, not so much.

I am gonna go at on a limb here… That Texass team can beat UGA right now.. and maybe even FSU… They are a top tier team right now.. maybe should be number one..
it is a very liberal school, however so it may fall apart before it’s over..

I don't think we're capable of winning the NC this year, but I will say that Texas may be the best team we see all year outside of Georgia if we meet in the SEC championship game. I however don't think we're up to par with LSU or Tennessee this year either.

I think we're another rebuilding year away from fixing the issues from the previous years. I see the direction they're changing is working but much like 2007 season you can't rotate out everyone in one go.

We're essentially 1 QB and 1-2 O-line players away from being a contender this year on the offensive side. And there's promise here, some of the young o-line guys just need a year or two to bulk up and fit the scheme

On defense I think we're just inexperienced a bit, and that should shore up with more games. I didn't see any terrible play out of them. There were some bad pre-snap issues for the defense but that settled in the 2nd half they just didn't have an aggressive enough style IMO late in the game. Ewers wasn't carving us up during blitzes, and we refused to pressure him and force bad throws.

I'm definitely not an X's and O's kind of guy, I watch a lot of football but don't always see the nuances. IMHO, our biggest problem is both sides of the line. Our O-Line couldn't be any worse considering all the praise for how big we are. So what if we have 3 guys over 6'6 and 350, they got destroyed, pushed around like a pee wee team. Slow to react, getting beat on every play. That center screwed us on how many bad snaps? I'm not even that concerned with Milroe, sure he's no Mac or Tua, but he was scared for his life. Yes, he hangs on to the ball too much, but he knows that line couldn't block a draft, I'd be making bad decisions all day, too. I don't think it would matter who was back there, even Bryce couldn't do it all with that line. Sure their philosophy this year is to "make their ass quit" but I think opposing teams are doing it to them, instead.

The D-line is no better. They can't get pressure, they're getting blown off the ball. Oatis is the only one with any talent, and I think he was better before he lost so much weight.

Dallas Turner is basically a no-show on every play. He's been credited with 4 tackles over 2 games total. I'm sure they're double teaming him, but it doesn't seem like that is freeing anyone else up. If he's the second coming of Will Anderson, I'm not seeing it. How do you have a lb double teamed, rush 4 guys, and still have wide receivers and the qb completely alone on islands? I swear it seems like we're only fielding 8 players to their 11. At least Lawson seems to show up occasionally, with 9 tackles and 1 sack compared to DT - but you'd think if DT was taking all of the heat, Lawson would be double those numbers.

This game, unfortunately, is about the disparity in QB play.

Bama started off running really well until Milroe threw the first pick. Soon after Texas realized they didn't have to respect the pass and they loaded the box and attacked the zone read. It made it impossible for the OL to move people.

The blocking was not that bad, they just had too many to block. The RBs are good, they just had defenders in their face playing downhill.

In the pass game, Milroe has terrible pocket awareness and would end up sacking himself by moving into the rush. He doesn't move in the pocket and waits too long to decide to just scramble.

A perfect wheel route TD was a complete miss of a throw. Think how much that changed the game.

Bama WRs and TEs are good, they just aren't getting utilized.

Rees is handcuffed with Milroe

The D had issues but Sark is the best play caller in the business and Texas has as good of players on offense as anyone in the country

Back
Top Bottom