| FTBL Post-game nuggets

musso

I'll begin by saying Ewers is elite. It's been noted here before that virtually every Saban loss has required an elite performance by opposing QBs. He would have beaten us last year too had he remained healthy. But ......................

We've now lost 4 of our last 16 games and 5 of our last 19 games against Power 5 opponents.

Another 4th Qt collapse:
  • outscored 21-8
  • outgained by over 100 yards
  • Texas had 4 possessions: 3 ended in TDs and the final possession made our ass quit, consuming the last 8 or so minutes of the clock.
The incidence of self-inflicted errors and penalties have become as much of a hallmark of Saban's recent teams as the absence of errors and penalties were in his earlier teams.

Zero pressure on Ewers. Zero.

How did we go from 4 consecutive starting QBs who would eventually become NFL starters, to having 4 QBs on our roster, none of which would start for any top 10 team?

How did we go from Saban's earlier defenses which would trust CBs on islands with single coverage to routinely getting carved up using all varieties of coverage???

I saw a tweet last night that read: Jalen Milroe is Blake Sims in so many ways. The difference is Sims had Lane Kiffin, Amari Cooper, Derrick Henry, TJ Yeldon, Kenyan Drake, Ardarius Stewart, OJ Howard, Cam Robinson, and a defense with multiple pro-bowlers on it. While not a perfect comparison, I think the take-away is obvious: do you see as many NFL starters on this roster as you saw on Blake Sims' team???

It's telling that our "go-to" WR is a Georgia transfer and a starting ILB who tied for most tackles last night is also a Georgia transfer.

The camera shot during the game of Rees talking with his face in his palm on the phone to Milroe on the sideline was telling.

Saban's loose, zen-like demeanor in the post-game presser was telling.

Last edited:
I'll begin by saying Ewers is elite. It's been noted here before that virtually every Saban loss has required an elite performance by opposing QBs. He would have beaten us last year too had he remained healthy. But ......................

We've now lost 4 of our last 16 games and 5 of our last 19 games against Power 5 opponents.

Another 4th Qt collapse:
  • outscored 21-8
  • outgained by over 100 yards
  • Texas had 4 possessions: 3 ended in TDs and the final possession made our ass quit, consuming the last 8 or so minutes of the clock.
The incidence of self-inflicted errors and penalties have become as much of a hallmark of Saban's recent teams as the absence of errors and penalties were in his earlier teams.

Zero pressure on Ewers. Zero.

How did we go from 4 consecutive starting QBs who would eventually become NFL starters, to having 4 QBs on our roster, none of which would start for any top 10 team?

How did we go from Saban's earlier defenses which would trust CBs on islands with single coverage to routinely getting carved up using all varieties of coverage???

I saw a tweet last night that read: Jalen Milroe is Blake Sims in so many ways. The difference is Sims had Lane Kiffin, Amari Cooper, Derrick Henry, TJ Yeldon, Kenyan Drake, Ardarius Stewart, OJ Howard, Cam Robinson, and a defense with multiple pro-bowlers on it. While not a perfect comparison, I think the take-away is obvious: do you see as many NFL starters on this roster as you saw on Blake Sims' team???

It's telling that our "go-to" WR is a Georgia transfer and a starting ILB who tied for most tackles last night is also a Georgia transfer.

The camera shot during the game of Rees talking with his face in his palm on the phone to Milroe on the sideline was telling.

Saban's loose, zen-like demeanor in the post-game presser was telling.
1. WRs were getting open for most part. Milroe missed those guys a lot. That's on Milroe.
2. Rees were getting WRs open... OL failed Milroe and Rees last night.
3. Don't read into Saban's mood last night.

On WR's.... it's so hard to see on TV, which is why we all deserve all-22 access... but from people I trust who were there, WR's were open... especially after the first couple of series. On thing that I think hurt Bama, was getting their first possession so deep inside the 5 where they had to deviate from the script some... although at the time, I was pleased with the run game and OL that drive... it was looking really promising at that point.

Milroe has had well over a 100 practice sessions at Bama since he arrived (spring/summer/fall/games) and he is still a high school QB that already knows what he is going to do when he breaks huddle. That is exactly what I did as QB. When the ball is snapped and everybody (it seems) is coming after you it is damn hard to start reading this and reading that. I just went to be my best player and hoped for success.

That plan isn't going to work in the SEC. This is all on Nick. The makeup of his roster could be a big problem for him if he actually tries one of the backups. We're 7-5 or 8-4 with #4 as QB. With that said, I think Nick starts #4 Saturday but the guy has a short leash. The Ole Miss game is the game of Year for this bunch.

Last edited:
What’s your take on his demeanor during the press conference?
I'd love to hear an answer to this, not because I think there is only one way to interpret it. But I think it would be alarming to any elite coach at an elite program, like it was to Brian Kelly after the FSU game, to discover how far behind your team is to other quality opponents when you're expected to contend. At least Brian Kelly acted concerned and human at the same time, almost disoriented. Last night Saban acted ... well ... as if his focus is on something else beyond this season. Again, though, it's all subjective, so any other interpretations of his pleasant behavior are welcome.

I rewatched the game this morning.

Milroe- Although I’m not in the sky is falling, we’re 8-4 camp, I am absolutely for certain Milroe isn’t the best QB we have, but for whatever reason Saban has always done the loyalty thing and that QB is the starter. Nobody will ever convince me Hurts was ever a better QB than Tua.

WRs- My best friend and his wife flew to Ttown to see the game and he said there were WRs open almost every play

OL- they started the game great then went to sleep

Defense- I said it last night and I’ll say it again, Golding wasn’t the issue and last night proved it. I believe it was @TerryP who said awhile back, our defense needs an update like our offense got when Lane was brought in

Last thing about Milroe, at one point in the 4th he gave us the lead and our defense could t stop anybody

I rewatched the game this morning.

Milroe- Although I’m not in the sky is falling, we’re 8-4 camp, I am absolutely for certain Milroe isn’t the best QB we have, but for whatever reason Saban has always done the loyalty thing and that QB is the starter. Nobody will ever convince me Hurts was ever a better QB than Tua.

WRs- My best friend and his wife flew to Ttown to see the game and he said there were WRs open almost every play

OL- they started the game great then went to sleep

Defense- I said it last night and I’ll say it again, Golding wasn’t the issue and last night proved it. I believe it was @TerryP who said awhile back, our defense needs an update like our offense got when Lane was brought in

Last thing about Milroe, at one point in the 4th he gave us the lead and our defense could t stop anybody
I don't know why everyone is bring up past with Hurt/Tua/ Coker/Sims....

What best option do we have beside Milroe at this point? There's pro and con with each qbs on the roster.

On WR's.... it's so hard to see on TV, which is why we all deserve all-22 access... but from people I trust who were there, WR's were open... especially after the first couple of series. On thing that I think hurt Bama, was getting their first possession so deep inside the 5 where they had to deviate from the script some... although at the time, I was pleased with the run game and OL that drive... it was looking really promising at that point.
Offense:
Fix the OL pass protections. Fix Proctor's bad techniques. Fix the low snap. Find a qb who can make progressions.. (Bunchner)
You want deep throw? Simpson. If you stay with Milroe, then find a way to use him in a better way.

Defense: Scheme needs to change within DL and LBs.

Just getting back to the lake, I'm not going to wade through the posts but:

Sark's game plan was Saban's exact plan against LSU and others when they had a dominant D line. Throw to the margins to make them pursue and pull the safeties up, then play action over the top, and then when the end it near the line is gassed you run to close it out.

Milroe: the audible gasp on the INTs, especially the second, from the crowd as the ball left his hand, said a lot. He can't give the ball away twice a game and overthrow two sure TDs and expect to win the close ones. That being said, Milroe did well with his feet. If either of the other two QBs had played the way they were blitzing, they wouldn't have fared better.

Just getting back to the lake, I'm not going to wade through the posts but:

Sark's game plan was Saban's exact plan against LSU and others when they had a dominant D line. Throw to the margins to make them pursue and pull the safeties up, then play action over the top, and then when the end it near the line is gassed you run to close it out.

Milroe: the audible gasp on the INTs, especially the second, from the crowd as the ball left his hand, said a lot. He can't give the ball away twice a game and overthrow two sure TDs and expect to win the close ones. That being said, Milroe did well with his feet. If either of the other two QBs had played the way they were blitzing, they wouldn't have fared better.
That's a fair point

Looked a lot like last year's big games, unfortunately.

-There doesn't appear to be anything dynamic about the offense in general. Schematically, skill players, OL, etc. The most dynamic part of the offense is Milroe as a runner. Not ideal

-The penalties are just killer. Over and over the D Backs fall into unnecessary penalties. Just can't be an elite defense carrying those issues.

-No pressure. How a roster full of talent can not just record a sack, and actually get dominated, is worrisome. Can't remember the last time an Alabama defense was flat out nasty (It's been a while). The mush rush/contain scenario won't cut it in today's game... Better create some TO's and flip field position, especially with this year's offense.

-QB situation is just a problem. Was pretty surprised a backup didn't get a shot last night. I think CNS knows this game doesn't really impact the overall outcome of the season, so wanted to let Jalen sink or swim with a full games evaluation moving forward. At the same point, other dudes will need live bullets if they're going to be good. Love Milroe's athleticism and the OL was ugly last night (those snaps!), but the INT's weren't physical issues. That ain't good.

-If the secondary cleans up the penalties, they could really improve this season. Those young guys are good & physical. I really like that group. Hard to cover long plays though... Pretty much reliant on the DL actually influencing the game.

Yep, I heard we had guys open all night for touchdowns and never got found. Said Texas' gameplan was for Milroe to hit those passes if he can but we're gonna pressure him.

Yep, I heard we had guys open all night for touchdowns and never got found. Said Texas' gameplan was for Milroe to hit those passes if he can but we're gonna pressure him.

One of their DB's said last week in an interview that their plan was to stop the run and make Milroe throw it. Not really surprising, other than he said it into a microphone.... but they checked that box after the first quarter.

Back
Top Bottom