| NEWS ⚽ NCAA Women's Soccer Tournament~COLLEGE CUP ⚽ Alabama Soccer’s Historic Season Comes to Close with College Cup Loss to UCLA

RTB.com

Site Administration
Staff
2022 SEC Soccer Tournament Schedule
DATETIME (CT)MATCHUP
Sunday, October 301 p.m.Match 1: No. 7 LSU vs. No. 10 Ole Miss
3:30 p.m.Match 2: No. 8 Mississippi State vs. No. 9 Texas A&M
Tuesday, November 112 p.m.Match 3: No. 2 South Carolina vs. Winner of Match 1
2:30 p.m.Match 4: No. 3 Tennessee vs. No. 6 Georgia
5 p.m.Match 5: No. 1 Alabama vs. Winner of Match 2
7:30 p.m.Match 6: No. 4 Arkansas vs. No. 5 Vanderbilt
Thursday, November 35 p.m.Match 7: Winner of Match 5 vs. Winner of Match 6
7:30 p.m.Match 8: Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4
Sunday, November 61 p.m.Championship Match

2022 SEC Soccer Tournament Schedule
DATETIME (CT)MATCHUP
Sunday, October 301 p.m.Match 1: No. 10 Ole Miss 0, No. 7 LSU 0 (Ole Miss advances on PKs, 3-0)
4:30 p.m.Match 2: No. 8 Mississippi State 2, No. 9 Texas A&M 1 (OT)
Tuesday, November 112 p.m.Match 3: No. 2 South Carolina vs. No.10 Ole Miss
2:30 p.m.Match 4: No. 3 Tennessee vs. No. 6 Georgia
5 p.m.Match 5: No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 8 Mississippi State
7:30 p.m.Match 6: No. 4 Arkansas vs. No. 5 Vanderbilt
Thursday, November 35 p.m.Match 7: Winner of Match 5 vs. Winner of Match 6
7:30 p.m.Match 8: Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4
Sunday, November 61 p.m.Championship Match

First of all, State's keeper looks like she should be getting ready her middle school homecoming dance. She did come up huge at the end. I didn't get the Bama player's name/number, but she had a breakaway near the end. State's keeper easily stuffed her weak shot. She's gotta place the ball a lot better than she did. She knows that, and I'm sure Hart has reminded her.

That is awesome. I wish Chelsea could have that many clean sheets... :cautious:
I don't follow professional soccer. I've attended a half of of dozen or so Charleston Southern games this fall.

Despise isn't the right word, but it comes close to how I feel about soccer TV coverage. Something akin to the All-22...game changer for me.

What a game! Bama completely dominated the second half but could never find the net. That PK and the subsequent red card for the Vandy coach? I think that dissent might be warranted. I really don't know if that was a penalty. Ticky tack at best, but I'll take it!

On to the SEC Final!

Always glad to see Bama do well at any sport...well done ladies, keep winning.....I really have tried to watch soccer at every level, but for the life of me I dont see worlds obsession with it. To be honest I find more excitement watching a golf tournament....my apologies to you soccer fans out there,

PENSACOLA, Fla. – A pair of goals from Riley Mattingly Parker propelled No. 1-seeded Alabama (19-1-1) to a 2-1 victory over No. 5-seeded Vanderbilt (11-4-4) Thursday as the Crimson Tide advanced to its first SEC Championship appearance since 1995.

A foul inside the box sent Parker to the penalty kick spot with 40 seconds left the clock and the scored tied at 1-1. Parker took a short run to the ball and fired it into the back of the net to give the Tide the 2-1 win.

From Head Coach Wes Hart

"So proud of this team. What a great win. So many players stepped up tonight and made plays when we needed them. It's been like that all season long though. I know we get a lot of credit for our attacking soccer. Our style of play, our goals, our assists are certainly impressive, but I can't say enough about our defending, toughness and grit. I don't think people give us enough credit for that. We've shown the ability to come from behind and grind teams down. I thought tonight was a perfect example of that. Vanderbilt is a very talented team and played us incredibly tough, but I felt we wore them down and dominated the entire second half. It was a great performance. So excited to play for our fourth trophy of the season on Sunday."

How It Happened​

• Vanderbilt scored first when Peyton Cutshall sent a header into the top right corner of the net
  • Less than five minutes later, Riley Mattingly Parker found the Tide's equalizer
  • Felicia Knox played Riley Tanner through the backline, crossing the ball to Parker standing in front of the net for the header
  • Alabama dominated possession in the second half but was unable to put the ball into the net
  • With less than a minute to play, Gianna Paul was taken down inside the box
  • Parker stepped up and netted the shot to give the Tide the win

Game Notes​

• The Tide advanced to the finals for the second time in program history and first time since 1995
  • The win over Vanderbilt marked the first time UA has recorded two wins in the SEC Tournament
  • UA moved to 19 wins on the year and tallied its15th-consecutive victory
  • Riley Mattingly Parker set the program record for single-season game-winning goals, netting her sixth this season with her 89th-minute penalty kick in Thursday's game
  • Parker now holds 34 points this season after notching her 13th and 14th goals against the Commodores
  • The victory snapped a four-game win streak by Vanderbilt

Next​

• Alabama will play the winner between second-seeded South Carolina and sixth-seeded Georgia
  • The SEC Championship kicks off Sunday at 1 p.m. CT on the SEC Network

I really don't know if that was a penalty. Ticky tack at best, but I'll take it!
Look at the second angle of the penalty. Vandy is trying to play the ball, granted. The problem I see is she's on the outside trying to defend a pass from the inside and had to "play through" Alabama. It certainly looks like a trip to me.

Oh! That second angle! Clearly a trip. They didn't show that angle on tv. I guess I'm too used to VAR that shows every angle possible.
I missed who called the penalty. Did you? It seems like the linesman would be the one making the call but then again the head ref would have seen Gianna make the first contact with the ball. Even if it was an intended tackle? Very poor form.

I'm surprised she didn't just let it go and try to regain the defensive position.

Ironically, a defensive back committing pass interference to prevent a touchdown is quite similar to this football play. She made the choice of going with the penalty kick like they'll choose the flag.

I missed who called the penalty. Did you? It seems like the linesman would be the one making the call but then again the head ref would have seen Gianna make the first contact with the ball. Even if it was an intended tackle? Very poor form.

I'm surprised she didn't just let it go and try to regain the defensive position.

Ironically, a defensive back committing pass interference to prevent a touchdown is quite similar to this football play. She made the choice of going with the penalty kick like they'll choose the flag.

The center ref quickly made the call.

The difference here is though that in college teams will just get penalized fifteen yards. The NFL's rule about the spot...Well, Bama got the PK spot. :)

The center ref quickly made the call.

The difference here is though that in college teams will just get penalized fifteen yards. The NFL's rule about the spot...Well, Bama got the PK spot. :)
Should’ve had one in the 1st period. Ref missed a pretty obvious one, vandy player wasn’t even close to the ball…

Back
Top Bottom