| FTBL Maybe my all-time favorite play from a Bama-UT game

BamaGradinTN

Verified Member
My first Bama-UT game in person, 1973, Legion Field.

For you young guys, this was back in the day when ABC carried all the college football games and there were only a couple on every week.

To introduce the starting lineups, each team would send their offensive or defensive starters over to the sideline at midfield, where the ABC announcer would introduce them one by one for the television audience as well as the stadium audience.

Coach Bryant sent over the kicking team to be introduced as the starters on national TV. I never saw that in a game before or after. He wanted to call attention to his kicking team and show them some recognition, emphasize to them how important their role was. It was a prophetic act.

It was a very warm October day...sun shining, not a cloud in the sky. We got out to a 21-7 lead, only to see Tennessee come back. It was 21-21 in the 4th quarter, I was sitting in those hot metal bleachers in the north end of Legion Field, I was hot, sunburned, and cranky because I was afraid the Vols were gonna win.

Willie Shelby had been having problems fielding punts in the sun, so when Tennessee punted in the 4th quarter, Bryant put in baseball outfielder Robin Cary to return the punt. Cary returned the punt 64 yards for a touchdown. We went on to blow out the Vols 42-21.

I always thought Bryant set that up by honoring his kicking team by introducing them on national TV.

My favorite play from a UT game was when Jeff Dunn hit Pierre Goode in stride for a 90 yard TD pass in 1987. We were up 14-0 in the first quarter when Dunn hit Goode to make it 21-0. It was 34-6 going into the 4th...UT did not find the endzone until the game had long since been decided. They scored twice late to make the final score.

I remember watching the game at my aunt's house. We played them at Legion Field and won the game 41-22.

That game is a fond memory.

I've got a few in my short memory. I would say the all-time most memorable game would be in 2005 when we beat Tennessee 6-3. The way that game was a defensive struggle until the very end. When it looked like Tennessee was about to tie it up and Roman Harper some how got lower than an already low Arian Foster. The fumble goes out of the back of the end zone for a touch back. Then on the ensuing drive Brodie Croyle completed a 43-yard pass to DJ Hall. This put us in position for a last second by Jamie Christensen and the rest is history.

BamaGradinTN said:
My first Bama-UT game in person, 1973, Legion Field.

For you young guys, this was back in the day when ABC carried all the college football games and there were only a couple on every week.

To introduce the starting lineups, each team would send their offensive or defensive starters over to the sideline at midfield, where the ABC announcer would introduce them one by one for the television audience as well as the stadium audience.

Coach Bryant sent over the kicking team to be introduced as the starters on national TV. I never saw that in a game before or after. He wanted to call attention to his kicking team and show them some recognition, emphasize to them how important their role was. It was a prophetic act.

It was a very warm October day...sun shining, not a cloud in the sky. We got out to a 21-7 lead, only to see Tennessee come back. It was 21-21 in the 4th quarter, I was sitting in those hot metal bleachers in the north end of Legion Field, I was hot, sunburned, and cranky because I was afraid the Vols were gonna win.

Willie Shelby had been having problems fielding punts in the sun, so when Tennessee punted in the 4th quarter, Bryant put in baseball outfielder Robin Cary to return the punt. Cary returned the punt 64 yards for a touchdown. We went on to blow out the Vols 42-21.

I always thought Bryant set that up by honoring his kicking team by introducing them on national TV.
Thats great! Of course I do not remember that and I had never heard it...so thanks for sharing.

Robert, I remember that game. Condridge Holloway (of Huntsville) was playing for Tennessee then. Wilbur Jackson had like an 80-yard run for a TD after Carey's punt return, too.

If I'm not mistaken Coach Battle caught a lot of flack from the UT fans after that game. That may have been the game the moving van showed up at his house, but I'm not for sure.

You being 51, you probably remember the bar "Carey's Corner," too?

The '75 Bama/UT game at Legion Field is one that I actually wish I could remember.

We had chartered a bus from Tuscaloosa to B'ham for that game, and because nobody had to drive, we were very lit (understatement) by the time we arrived at the game.

In fact, I had two extra tickets for my brother and a neighbor, who had driven down from Decatur, and I was supposed to meet them at one of the gates. Between the Wild Turkey and all the pregame excitement, I got wrapped up in the moment (very nice date with a jv cheerleader who was also drinking me into a stupor) and completely forgot about them until the start of the 2nd quarter.

Making a beeline for the entrance to head back down to the gates, I was greeted by my brother and neighbor. They had slipped the ticket-taker a couple of twenties to let them in. Luckily they had been able to see the whole game, despite my absent-mindedness. My brother was rather perturbed with me, though--not so much about the ticket incident but because I was drinking.

We pretty much had our way with the Vols that day (30-7).

Btw, here are my two favorite Bama/UT games.

First, 1990:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyK-3hkRabI[/youtube]

Second, 1989, when the Tide scored 47 points on Coach Curry's 47th birthday:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1mpKzBlC-M[/youtube]

BamaGradinTN said:
Another of my favorites is when Bobby Humphrey ran for what seemed like about 800 yards in Knoxville and we dropped 56 points on them.

1986:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne7SAwOMgHk[/youtube]

:D

Here are the sidenotes from the vid clip:

The Tide offense reeled off an astounding 405 yards rushing (Bobby Humphrey, Gene Jelks, and Bo Wright) en route to a 56-28 demolition (still the largest margin of victory in the series in 45 years). The Tide offensive line man-handled the Vol defensive front and linebackers allowing Bobby Humphrey to gain well over 250 yards and score 3 TD's. Bama also stopped a 4 year VOL streak. As for Tennessee after a 2-5 start the Vols won 5 straight games (including a Liberty Bowl victory) to finish strong at 7-5. The Crimson Tide after a 7-0 start suffered disappointments in what could have been a national championship contending season. Penn St. destroyed the Tide 23-3 in Tuscaloosa on its way to the national championship. A 10-14 loss to the eventual SEC champions LSU seemed to take the wind out of the sails as did a 17-21 loss to Auburn. But the Crimson Tide went out on a high note in the Sun Bowl pounding Washington 28-6 to finish the '86 season at 10-3. Ray Perkins closed out his coaching career at Alabama (with a final record of 32-15-1) to take over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987.

1993: David Palmer lines up behind center and runs for a two-point conversion with 21 seconds left to salvage a 17-17 tie. Despite the "kiss-your-sister" outcome, still one of the most exciting games I've ever watched.

reger60 said:
1993: David Palmer lines up behind center and runs for a two-point conversion with 21 seconds left to salvage a 17-17 tie. Despite the "kiss-your-sister" outcome, still one of the most exciting games I've ever watched.

Watched that one at a sports bar in Apache Junction, Arizona, with some other Bama fans. Unfortunately, we had to endure a couple obnoxious UT fans until Palmer's conversion. :evil:

Very disappointing day but at least it wasn't a loss.

bear facts said:
reger60 said:

Watched that one at a sports bar in Apache Junction, Arizona, with some other Bama fans. Unfortunately, we had to endure a couple obnoxious UT fans until Palmer's conversion. :evil:

Very disappointing day but at least it wasn't a loss.

I remember the 93' game and the 90' game. I was watching both of those with my dad. I was 8 and 12.

That 90' game was the first game i really remember well. For week after that game, I was trying to kick field goals in the back yard.

Porter said:
I still remember a lot of these plays like it happened yesterday...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOan7LaCKOg[/youtube]

I was at that game. Man was that fun!!! I bet we stayed and celebrated in their stadium for a good hour or more. :D

Porter said:
I still remember a lot of these plays like it happened yesterday...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOan7LaCKOg[/youtube]

Porter, I love that shot of Randy Sanders' reaction on the sideline after the interception in the endzone. I can still hear my boy chuckling when we first saw that. :lol:

tidenumber1 said:
I was at that game. Man was that fun!!! I bet we stayed and celebrated in their stadium for a good hour or more. :D

As much as we all hate fraud, and as badly as he failed at TAMU, I loved his offense at Bama. Fran had some good assistants at Bama. Without Pollard, he struggled.

I think a lot of his failure at TAMU had to do with the way his rep was tarnished for leaving Bama like he did.

bear facts said:
BamaGradinTN said:
Another of my favorites is when Bobby Humphrey ran for what seemed like about 800 yards in Knoxville and we dropped 56 points on them.

1986:

The Tide offense reeled off an astounding 405 yards rushing (Bobby Humphrey, Gene Jelks, and Bo Wright) en route to a 56-28 demolition (still the largest margin of victory in the series in 45 years). The Tide offensive line man-handled the Vol defensive front and linebackers allowing Bobby Humphrey to gain well over 250 yards and score 3 TD's. Bama also stopped a 4 year VOL streak. As for Tennessee after a 2-5 start the Vols won 5 straight games (including a Liberty Bowl victory) to finish strong at 7-5. The Crimson Tide after a 7-0 start suffered disappointments in what could have been a national championship contending season. Penn St. destroyed the Tide 23-3 in Tuscaloosa on its way to the national championship. A 10-14 loss to the eventual SEC champions LSU seemed to take the wind out of the sails as did a 17-21 loss to Auburn. But the Crimson Tide went out on a high note in the Sun Bowl pounding Washington 28-6 to finish the '86 season at 10-3. Ray Perkins closed out his coaching career at Alabama (with a final record of 32-15-1) to take over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987.

'Preciate the Bo Wright references, Factor. Bo's one of my all-tome favorite fullbacks in the history of the Crimson Tide. He largely goes unnoticed these days though.

Around 1988, in Knoxville, I think.

Tie Game. Defensive struggle. UT with the ball drives to FG range as time runs down. The stadium is ROCKIN' as they take the field to ice the game with under a minute remaining. (verge of Classic victory for the VOLS)

The kick is blocked and sails 25-30 yard the other direction, down the middle of the field- BAMA's ball. We can't move the ball but kick a field goal to win.

The stadium, which was so loud just minutes earlier, was so quite that the broadcaster commented repeatedly on it, and how the UT fans were so shocked that they could no yet bring themselves to leave. Shell Shocked--in silence.

I too loved the 86 game where we ran the toss sweep to Humphrey and Jelks all day long. The 89 game was outstanding with Siran Stacey lighting up the Viles in Bham. The 90 game with the block fieled goal by Stacey Harrison then Doyle booting the game winner from 48 yards out.

Patriot_81 said:
I've got a few in my short memory. I would say the all-time most memorable game would be in 2005 when we beat Tennessee 6-3. The way that game was a defensive struggle until the very end. When it looked like Tennessee was about to tie it up and Roman Harper some how got lower than an already low Arian Foster. The fumble goes out of the back of the end zone for a touch back. Then on the ensuing drive Brodie Croyle completed a 43-yard pass to DJ Hall. This put us in position for a last second by Jamie Christensen and the rest is history.

not to be picky but.......UT was about to take the lead (score was tied 3-3) and Foster (australian for fumble) didnt fumble that time it was the FB.

Ill mention a game that hasnt been talked about yet...1994 Neyland Stadium (my first visit to Neyland) Barker plays with a tweaked shoulder I believe....Sherman shakes his way around tackles all day for pretty much all of our offense.......UT lead by freshman Peyton Manning takes the ball down and scores to take the lead with roughly 8 min left....Bama drives the length of the field for the go ahead TD with 2 min left.......Manning drives UT all the way inside the Bama ten.....we gave them 5 tries (offsides once) and they couldnt get in!!!

porkchop said:
bear facts said:
BamaGradinTN said:

1986:

'Preciate the Bo Wright references, Factor. Bo's one of my all-tome favorite fullbacks in the history of the Crimson Tide. He largely goes unnoticed these days though.

I wish I could take credit for the Bo Wright reference, Chopper, but I merely copied the information provided with the video.

LBS said:
Around 1988, in Knoxville, I think.

Tie Game. Defensive struggle. UT with the ball drives to FG range as time runs down. The stadium is ROCKIN' as they take the field to ice the game with under a minute remaining. (verge of Classic victory for the VOLS)

The kick is blocked and sails 25-30 yard the other direction, down the middle of the field- BAMA's ball. We can't move the ball but kick a field goal to win.

The stadium, which was so loud just minutes earlier, was so quite that the broadcaster commented repeatedly on it, and how the UT fans were so shocked that they could not yet bring themselves to leave. Shell Shocked--in silence.

LBS, I believe you are referring to the 1990 game. If you go back to the first part of this thread, you will find a video hightlighting the very plays that you mention.

Many folks (other than Bama fans) had written the Tide off before the game had even started. It was Coach Stallings' first year and Bama had arrived in Knoxville, sporting a 2-3 record.

Back
Top Bottom