| FTBL Kirby Smart promoted to Defensive Coordinator...

does anyone get the sense that Saban plans to be here about five years and then pass the torch to Steele? i've been suspecting that ever since Steele was lured away from FSU, where he was the heir-apparent to Bowden.

musso said:
does anyone get the sense that Saban plans to be here about five years and then pass the torch to Steele? i've been suspecting that ever since Steele was lured away from FSU, where he was the heir-apparent to Bowden.

If that happens, it'll be fine with me. I just hope Steele isn't offered a top HC position before then.

musso said:

No, not at all. When you saw the stories about him looking at other jobs there was some truth to them. Most of it came from the amount of time he was having to spend on the road recruiting. This move probably signifies we won't see him out on the road as much next season as he was this season.

TerryP said:
musso said:

No, not at all. When you saw the stories about him looking at other jobs there was some truth to them. Most of it came from the amount of time he was having to spend on the road recruiting. This move probably signifies we won't see him out on the road as much next season as he was this season.
That's how I see it as well.

I don't see CNS thinking about passing anything along anytime soon. He has a lot of work to do, which I think he loves. After we win the SEC and a NC, then I think CNS will retire to lake RAburn for good.

My two cents.

I think this has more to do with Coach Saban wanting to keep Kirby on the staff. He mentioned that Kirby turned down an offer to be the DC at another school.

I don't think Steele will be here much longer. I think that Coach Saban probably feels the same way and wanted to go ahead and keep a coach that he likes on the staff so that in a year he won't be forced to replace another coordinator.

I was highly impressed with the defense this past year, so I'm glad to keep the personnel that helped do that. I'm tickled to death thinking about the years to come when Saban and these guys have more talent and depth to work with and we don't have an offense that sputters and goes 3 and out.

XxBamaCorexX said:
I was highly impressed with the defense this past year, so I'm glad to keep the personnel that helped do that. I'm tickled to death thinking about the years to come when Saban and these guys have more talent and depth to work with and we don't have an offense that sputters and goes 3 and out.

Highly Impressed? :shock:

crimsontradition14 said:
XxBamaCorexX said:

Highly Impressed? :shock:

didn't we finish 20-something in defense? if so, that's not too bad considering our serious lack of depth and the first year under a complex defensive scheme.

crimsontradition14 said:
28th and I personally don't consider that highly impressive.

Considering depth and 1st yr in a new complex defense, I don't think that was too bad. I am however really looking foward to improvement this year. But 09 will when we can build some depth should be really good.

eshad said:
crimsontradition14 said:
28th and I personally don't consider that highly impressive.

Considering depth and 1st yr in a new complex defense, I don't think that was too bad. I am however really looking foward to improvement this year. But 09 will when we can build some depth should be really good.

To me if we had been in the top ten it would have been highly impressive. Nothing seemed highly impressive about our team to me this year.

Back
Top Bottom