| NEWS Kevin Steele: Here's what he's infusing into Alabama football defense - Tuscaloosa Magazine

I don't know if you guys feel the same, but we've been so dominant and explosive on offense since Kiffin became OC, that much of every game ever since has been boring to watch, frankly. When you add it up, very few quarters of each season have ever been competitive and suspenseful. And there's been a general fatigue from being the overwhelming favorite ALL THE TIME. I think it's good to be on the other side for a change. I think the stadium will be more lively and player enthusiasm will improve too. I've been watching old games from the "more physical" era, and I've been struck by how energized the team seemed to be on defense and on the sidelines. We've lost that chip on our shoulders. Some have blamed the departure of Kirby's fiery mannerism or Scott Cochoron's antics. I have no idea, but the difference is noticeable.

On the other hand, because we've never seen a dynasty as enduring and deep as Saban's at Bama, I honestly believe it can accommodate a temporary rise and fall of another program, like Georgia for example, before returning for another championship or two before Saban finally exits.

Last edited:
You anticipate this team facing a lot of adversity on the field, with the likely possibility of them losing multiple games. Deep down that excites you, because your satisfaction is derived from wallowing in the shortcomings and negativity of the very thing you love, Alabama football. ;)
Reminds me somewhat of the 2009 off-season. I remember a lot of differing opinions going into that year. Some thought a slight regression into 8-4 to 10-2 territory. Others were more optimistic.

This Texas game reminds me a lot of the 2009 VA Tech game. And like the VA Tech game that year, IDK what to think of that game.

This Texas game reminds me a lot of the 2009 VA Tech game. And like the VA Tech game that year, IDK what to think of that game.
Memories ...

Tyrod Taylor didn't scare me, at all, that season. He was too inconsistent in 2008 to be a worry. What sealed it for me was what Beamer said prior to the game in one of his press conferences. In essence, "a loss to Bama won't affect our ability to win the conference." To me, it was over before it started. I'm surprised they were still close at the half.

Memories ...

Tyrod Taylor didn't scare me, at all, that season. He was too inconsistent in 2008 to be a worry. What sealed it for me was what Beamer said prior to the game in one of his press conferences. In essence, "a loss to Bama won't affect our ability to win the conference." To me, it was over before it started. I'm surprised they were still close at the half.
Game was a lot worse than the score indicated. I don't think Tyrod Taylor did much of anything in that game.

I credit the somewhat close score to "Beamer Ball".

Game was a lot worse than the score indicated. I don't think Tyrod Taylor did much of anything in that game.

I credit the somewhat close score to "Beamer Ball".
You'd be right. They had more yards in kick returns than total offense.

Worse? Bama almost had twice as much TOP as VT. They did in rushing and passing yards.

Memories ...

Thoughts on this Texas game that he was comparing it to?

Back
Top Bottom