| MBB/WBB đźŹ€Kentucky beats Bama 117-95 [Oats postgame press conference added]

Different approach for Oats at the press conference. Usually he's pretty adamant on calling people out and challenging them. This time he's praising them instead. Pringle definitely didn't like that suspension. He's got to get tougher inside though.

With the way the team is on defense, it won't be in any tournament!

Oh they’ll be in the tourney, it just won’t be for long if they keep playing defense like they are. They have the offense to play with anybody but the defense to get beat by anybody. Especially if we are cold from 3.

I guess so. Sure 95 points is impressive but 117 is more impressive.
I think we can say seeing 95 out of Bama isn't shocking: it's not a wonder of the world. Even UK fans are saying "that was ...." when they wonder about that game.

Going back to my earlier post...

Bama, on the road, puts 95 on the board. How many teams are they running out of the gym with those numbers? What are there...over 350 teams in D1 play now? That'll beat those 350 A LOT of the time.

Just a weird game: shit storm.

I guess so. Sure 95 points is impressive but 117 is more impressive.

Look at their shooting. Straight anomaly. Even shitty defense can't be blamed for that, unless everything was a free unattested layup (which it wasn't). For reference see the game against us against their season numbers. They performed better in just about every metric. Just chalk it up to "one of those games". We've definitely had them, and they had one here.

1709043776512.png
Kentucky - Shot out of their shoes from three, and shot better from inside the arc. Even shot better free throws that their current average.
1709044036689.png

Alabama - Even we slightly shot better than our average against them.
1709044266810.png

UK’s bench outscored ours by 21. We were missing some depth and it bit us in a fast-paced high-scoring game. That was not the only issue, but it did cost us. And the Cats lit it up on the offensive side of the ball. Some of that was poor D, some was just being “on”. Either way, we took our licks and we’ll do better the next game.

From above, the stats that jump out at me.

Field Goal % - Ky 63.1 Bama 56.7 Good for us, excellent for them. ( Our defense not so good.)

Assists - Ky 24 Bama 14 Ky was spreading the ball better instead of 1 on 1. Like us.

Blocked shots - Ky 7 Bama 1 Ky defended their goal better than us.

Steals - Ky 11 Bama 5 All around better defense by Ky. We were careless with the ball.

Total Turnovers - Ky 10 Bama 16 Again, we were careless with the ball

Points off Turnovers - Ky 29 Bama 10 The result of not valuing each possession.

I guess these results can be expected after a Ky loss at LSU and our minds were still on the court in the overtime win against Fl.

I get a team can just have a great game but the D issues have been a consistent issue. Shooting the percentage KY was shooting does not happen with great D in my view. The turnovers have also been an issue for Bama and they were an issue in this game. The 2 recurring issues bit them in the backside and will continue to do so if they do not get some improvement. Maybe cleaning up turnovers is more doable than fixing the D at this point. You score 95 points that should be enough to win.

Back
Top Bottom