| NEWS We Want Bama? How Kentucky knocks off the Crimson Tide - KSR

B

Bama News

The days are hot and long. It’s almost time for the start of football practice when you make a trip to Kroger and see the schedule posters have finally arrived. Shortly after examining the new layout featuring the Wildcats, you take a closer look at the opposition’s logos, then mentally mark the wins and losses. It’s a tradition unlike any other for Kentucky football fans. This year there’s one logo that most will say is an L, but don’t be so quick to cross-off the Alabama Crimson Tide as an automatic loss.

A week after hosting LSU, Nick Saban will take his team to Kroger Field for what should be a chilly game on Veteran’s Day, Nov. 11. There have been a few coaching veterans who have seen the end of the road in Lexington: Steve Spurrier, Butch Jones, Dan Mullen and most recently, Ed Oregeron. Could Nick Saban be Mark Stoops’ next victim?

Alabama vs. Kentucky, I think that’s the biggest trap game in the entire SEC,” Michael Bratton, better known as ‘SEC Mike,’ shared with KSR last week in Nashville for SEC Media Days.

“I’m not ready to outright predict a Kentucky win, but if Kentucky is as good as I think they can be. If they shore up that offensive line, Ray Davis, Devin Leary, Liam Coen: all of the pieces are there. Alabama, they aren’t the same team on the road, for whatever reason. I think it’s because Nick Saban’s got a decaying dynasty, as I call it.”

Alabama has not been the same team on the road in recent years. They’ve failed to reach the bar set by Vegas, posting a 2-7 record against the spread in away games over the last two seasons. That includes outright losses to LSU, Tennessee and unranked Texas A&M. Just because SEC Mike is a well-known Alabama hater, doesn’t mean his points are invalid.

“He’s still the greatest of all time. I’m not trying to take away anything, but I think that’s the game Kentucky fans are going to show up. It’s going to be the defining game of Mark Stoops’ career.”

Contrasting Styles Can Unlock a Big Kentucky Upset​

So how exactly does Kentucky upset a team like Alabama? It’s a difficult question to answer right now because there are so many mysteries surrounding the Crimson Tide. Not only is there an ongoing quarterback competition, but Nick Saban is breaking in a pair of new coordinators. That’s why if you made Cole Cubelic pick between Alabama or Georgia, he likes the Cats’ chances against the Tide.

“Right now I’m probably going to say Alabama, just because I’m a little more confident with what Georgia’s roster is top to bottom…,” said Cubelic. “…Nobody’s going to go in there and out-heavyweight fight the heavyweight champion, so you need a different style. I look at what Kentucky has at wide receiver and I think Alabama’s secondary has some new faces, you may be able to cause some problems there.”

What exactly will be the style to contrast against Alabama? It’s difficult to tell right now. Tennessee is a better example to use, deploying a style that Kentucky could theoretically combat at Kroger Field this fall.

“You don’t want Tennessee’s track meet. That’s where Kentucky can out-Kentucky Tennessee. Take a fistfight, drag Tennessee into a back alley and make them fight your kind of fight. That would be the recipe for me and I think there could be a part where Kentucky could have an advantage doing that this year,” Cubelic shared with KSR.

“You play Georgia, I don’t want a slugfest. You play Tennessee, I don’t want a track meet. You have to find those contradictory styles and make them play your game. That’s where Kentucky can find success against the Vols.”

Kentucky will be favored in five games, four are toss-ups and the remaining three are Tennessee, Alabama and at Georgia. Which game do you believe is Kentucky’s best chance at a big upset?

Kentucky has improved so much in recent years, pulling upsets . This team is an overachiever who manages to win with less talents. This is a strong team with tough mentality. They win with defense.

So with that being said, they're not on Alabama or Georgia's level. Based on the team they're fielding this fall, I don't see them getting past 6 wins.

Kentucky will be favored in five games, four are toss-ups and the remaining three are Tennessee, Alabama and at Georgia. Which game do you believe is Kentucky’s best chance at a big upset?

Favored in five games? No, I see three games where they're favored. They will go 3-0 right out of the gate: Ball State, Eastern kentucky and Akron. Vanderbilt is toss up... it really depends on what Kentucky offense can do.

Four are toss-ups? No more likely all games except for Georgia and Alabama are toss-ups.

I don't see any upsets on the schedule for Kentucky. if I was forced to pick up for a game that could shock everyone, I would say Tennessee.

There is a good chance that they could have 7 game losing streaks starting in October...

Playing in LexingtOn after a big emotional game against LSU will be difficult. A lot depends on our injury situation and how physical the Tiger game is.
I don't see how that is relevant though. I don't think it'll be emotional game. Saban does pretty good job for the most of the time getting the team to remain calm and focused. You rarely will see a team that's emotional.

I don't see how that is relevant though. I don't think it'll be emotional game. Saban does pretty good job for the most of the time getting the team to remain calm and focused. You rarely will see a team that's emotional.
Maybe not emotional, but it will sure as shit be one of the most physical games we play this season. Guys could go into that game beat up, or injured. That's how the LSU games usually are, it's why it's one of my favorite games to watch.

...decaying dynasty, huh? UK won't enjoy this game.
Consider the source of the comment ...
Just because SEC Mike is a well-known Alabama hater, doesn’t mean his points are invalid.
I can't remember the subject at the time. I do remember Bratton.

A few years ago Saban made a comment during one of his pressers that sent ol' Mike into a frenzy. He penned an article talking about the atmosphere in the press room and the opinions of the writer who where there that day.

One problem. He'd never attended a press conference at Alabama. He was called out; never responded as most of his ilk are inclined to do (or not do.)

He's biased but more importantly he's actually proud of the bias.

Back
Top Bottom