| FTBL Jon Richt from Athens, GA- Clemson QB commit

Pretty bad when you can't even recruit your own son!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DISCLAIMER: I know thats not the case, its just funny to me to say so.

Coach Richt actually encouraged him to look at other schools from what I have read. Didnt want him to be "the coaches son" At a high profile school like GA I think thats probably a good idea. I read an article somewhere where he was talking about it....I'll see If I can find it again.

It's probably a healthy thing for both of them.
Even better for the team. As a father,I know how protective you can be ,even when you don't realize you're doing it. Some one points it out and the first thing you do is get defensive about it. All it would take is one player complaining about it and you have an issue. It could easily blow up from nothing.

To counter that, it would be very exciting and enjoyable to coach your son at the college level and watch him succeed in your program. Going to a BCS game together would be unbelievable.
Still I think it is a good thing for him to get the experience of college ball under someone else though.

kudzu said:
Even better for the team. As a father,I know how protective you can be ,even when you don't realize you're doing it. Some one points it out and the first thing you do is get defensive about it. All it would take is one player complaining about it and you have an issue. It could easily blow up from nothing.

To counter that, it would be very exciting and enjoyable to coach your son at the college level and watch him succeed in your program. Going to a BCS game together would be unbelievable.
Still I think it is a good thing for him to get the experience of college ball under someone else though.

If say Colorado has a horrible season next year imagine how much grief the coach and his son (QB) is going to take...

Chris is right on this one...Richt encouraged his son to go to another school besides UGA.

TerryP said:
kudzu said:

If say Colorado has a horrible season next year imagine how much grief the coach and his son (QB) is going to take...

Chris is right on this one...Richt encouraged his son to go to another school besides UGA.

True and good point. You have to let them experience it on their own. Good and bad. It's what makes them grow. Definitely a difficult discission to try and steer your kid away from you. It's for the best though. I can see what you mean about watching him struggle while your team has very good success. Could lead to some resentment in the future.

Nate said:
Pretty bad when you can't even recruit your own son!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DISCLAIMER: I know thats not the case, its just funny to me to say so.

I recall a comment by Bill Curry when he was here at Bama (1984 I think) regarding issues/concerns with the NCAA's lack of clarity and sanity with regards to recruiting limitations where he pointed out that technically it was against NCAA rules for him to give his own son a Christmas gift because he was a representative of the University and his son played high school sports (basketball no less) and the Christmas gift could potential be seen as payment to a potential signee.

Chris4x4Gill2 said:
Coach Richt actually encouraged him to look at other schools from what I have read. Didnt want him to be "the coaches son"...I read an article somewhere where he was talking about it....I'll see If I can find it again.

i can confirm this. i watched a program on tv concerning this issue. Coach Richt wanted his son to play elsewhere.

LBS said:
I recall a comment by Bill Curry when he was here at Bama (1984 I think) regarding issues/concerns with the NCAA's lack of clarity and sanity with regards to recruiting limitations where he pointed out that technically it was against NCAA rules for him to give his own son a Christmas gift because he was a representative of the University and his son played high school sports (basketball no less) and the Christmas gift could potential be seen as payment to a potential signee.

This shows some of Curry's ignorance. The gift from a family member, or even a friend if a pattern of connection is there before the kid becomes a recruited athelete, does not apply as a payment to a recruit.

Ray Perkins was one who looked with disdain on NCAA rules. He had a son who played at Tuscvaloosa HS during his tenure. I remember him commenting that by the strictest interpretation of NCAA rules, if he went to watch his son's game on Friday night more than so many times a season he was in violation.

Perk really stood up to them when one of the players tragically drowned. It was a violation (my guess is that it still would be) to do what he did, which was to charter a bus and take all the players as a team to the funeral. Perk did it, then self reported the violation, and nothing ever came of it. Of course there was no Yeager in charge of things then.

Back
Top Bottom