| FTBL IF you read the game thread from this weekend which post would qualify as "meltdown's" to you?

TerryP

Staff
I'm curious of you guys took a few minutes and skimmed through the game thread if there are any posts that jump out at you as meltdowns.

Here's the premise.

If you happened to watch the pre-game show from the CBS studios one of the commentators made a few errors. Some, pretty big. Anywho, his comments about the pass coverage before the game, specifically the secondary, included the word maligned. That threw me for a loop.

**I thought we got into this somewhere last week @planomateo

Hearing him ... now I'm asking myself, "no one looked at the pass defense efficiency numbers before this game, did they?"

I have not read the thread. I glanced at it from time to time. (The Live function on the threads makes it a continuous stream of conversation you can glance at during commercials ... you ought to check it out.)

If I run across a comment with someone saying something on the meltdown line ... I'll copy part of what I said here with that post.

Makes sense, right?

GAME THREAD: BAMA VS TEXAS A&M

BTW, all you have to do is read the thread ... click "Multi-quote" and come back here ... click "Insert quote" and have at it ...

This was early on in the game ... not a meltdown, but something you might not have seen mentioned.

We need to score TD's. I'm afraid if we have to leave it to AG.

If I'm not mistaken, Griff is 8 for his last 10. I've not looked at his PAT #'s.

And, on a side note with that: I haven't looked yet, but I"m guessing Scott's average is probably getting close to the 44 yard mark.

If I'm not mistaken, Griff is 8 for his last 10. I've not looked at his PAT #'s.

And, on a side note with that: I haven't looked yet, but I"m guessing Scott's average is probably getting close to the 44 yard mark.

ADAM GRIFFITH - CAREER STATS (only missed 1 PAT in his career at 'BAMA; in 2014)
SEASON | FGM | FGA | PCT | XPM | XPA | PTS
2015 | 8 | 14 | 57.1 | 31 | 31 | 55
2014 | 12 | 19 | 63.2 | 53 | 54 | 89
2013 | 1 | 3 | 33.3 | 5 | 5 | 8

JK SCOTT - CAREER STATS
SEASON | PUNTS | AVG | LNG | YDS
2015 | 36 | 42.6 | 58 | 1532
2014 | 55 | 48.0 | 73 | 2640

BTW, all you have to do is read the thread ... click "Multi-quote" and come back here ... click "Insert quote" and have at it ...

This was early on in the game ... not a meltdown, but something you might not have seen mentioned.

That's a good point and I was watching some old film and did you know that Philip Doyle was 20 for 31 for the year when we were playing in the sun bowl.

Despite the A&M game, the secondary has not been one of the bright spots. How many "why don't our DBs turn their heads" posts have been here? I was confused when the announcers and studio members kept referring to Alabama's secondary as the "best in the country." Don't get me wrong, the secondary has improved but there are still too many "how did he get so wide open?" moments or times when we have two DBs on one receiver and the receiver wins. I don't expect the DBs to prevent all passes from being completed. But, there are still too many situations where assignments are missed.

Wow. Scott is on pace for what, 100 punts in the regular season? Great Scott! That's a lot of punts of us.

Stats I saw this morniNg showed Bama as 98th in field goal kicking. So there are worse! I ly one decent team is below us, Mich State, the #2 team in the land. They are 5-9.

Trio with Ricky N. Looks like a former lineman ... Charles ... ?

Maybe Brian Jones?
CBS Press Express | Inside College Football

Brian Jones
College Football Analyst
Brian Jones joined CBS Sports in 2005 and serves as a college football analyst for CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network appearing on COLLEGE FOOTBALL TODAY on the CBS Television Network and INSIDE COLLEGE FOOTBALL on CBS Sports Network.

Jones is also the co-host of Gio and Jones on CBS Sports Radio Network with Gregg Giannotti, which airs Monday-Friday from 6:00-9:00 AM, ET.

After a five year NFL career spent with the Indianapolis Colts (1991) and New Orleans Saints (1995-98), Jones returned to Texas to begin his sports broadcasting career. He hosted a daily radio show on Sports Radio 1300-AM The Zone, served as the Longhorn Sports Network's sideline reporter for all UT football games and hosted Longhorn Sports Center with Mack Brown and Rick Barnes. Jones also spent two years with Fox Sports Southwest.

Jones graduated with a degree in Corporate Communications from the University of Texas-Austin. At Texas, he was an All-Southwest Conference Linebacker during his senior year in 1990. That season, Jones led the Longhorns with 116 tackles (71 solo) and five forced fumbles, helping Texas to a 10-2 record. Jones grew up in Lubbock, Texas and currently resides in Austin.

@TerryP this is probably Meltdown worthy....

Agree. Statement made as we were toward the end of 10 consecutive possessions from 14:58 remaining in the 2nd quarter through the end of the game where we scored all of 6 points on offense. And one of those field goal drives covered 25 yards or so. I think we tried one deep-ish ball soon after my post and completed it. Finally. 6 points in 3 quarters is pretty rough, in my opinion. We had also just had 4 3 and outs when the game was within 2 scores. What 14 plays stopped behind the line. It was definitely not a top performance outside of Henry's 1,000 yards rushing. We should have been able to score points on that D.

But yes, I overreact sometimes when we blow a big lead and I feel like our guys have lost focus and make stupid mistakes. Guilty.

Despite the A&M game, the secondary has not been one of the bright spots. How many "why don't our DBs turn their heads" posts have been here? I was confused when the announcers and studio members kept referring to Alabama's secondary as the "best in the country." Don't get me wrong, the secondary has improved but there are still too many "how did he get so wide open?" moments or times when we have two DBs on one receiver and the receiver wins. I don't expect the DBs to prevent all passes from being completed. But, there are still too many situations where assignments are missed.

4 interceptions, 3 pick sixes, about 6 sacks, even more hurries... yet still some wont be satisfied. Wow.

My question is, why are we trying to embarrass people here? We all love our Crimson Tide. Some people are more vocal when things are not going as we wish. No sin in that. No reason to try to embarrass.

Every year in the Saban era has those. There's going to be a busted assignment at least once or twice per game. Our secondary is LIGHT years better than last year, and close to being one of the best in the country. Six games in and we've already surpassed our interception total from last year.

Back
Top Bottom