| FTBL IF you read the game thread from this weekend which post would qualify as "meltdown's" to you?

I cant recall if it was Spencer or the other guy.
Looks like a former lineman ... Charles ...
Maybe Brian Jones?

That's the one, Wayne.

Understand, it's not the point of the secondary being mentioned as a unit being criticized and judged. That's true: from Bama fans to any fan of football that watches games Bama has played.

I know I'm very literal when it comes to things people say. So, when I heard the word "maligned" it made me turn my head to look at the TV. If you look at the definition (linked earlier) you'll see "spitefully critical manner."

Spitefully?

I try to avoid judging people ... but based on his verbiage, I have to wonder if Brian Jones (and the one Bird refers to) actually know the definition.

You can't judge the quality, good or bad, by one game or one play.
That's the thing, OP. The judgment on the secondary isn't based on one game, or one play.

@rueben touches on this a bit here ...

... which way a team is "trending."

In the thread @planomateo started about rushing yards by A&M QB's there's a post that cites the QBR ratings for the last four opponents the Tide has faced (post Ole-Miss.) The rating was less than five. Five, on a scale from 1 to 100.

Last week, prior to the game, it was pointed out that the pass defense efficiency was leading the SEC and in the top 25% of the NCAA rankings. This week, still leading the SEC (by a pretty wide margin) and ranked in the top 10 of the NCAA standings. That isn't a result of one game, or one play.

Depth. More experience. Coaching. And, a couple of really good ones in this past class.

All four of these have been pointed to throughout the off-season. We're beginning to see the fruition of all those points this season. Hearing and reading so many critical comments seem to have made those points moot: to a lot.

My question is, why are we trying to embarrass people here? We all love our Crimson Tide. Some people are more vocal when things are not going as we wish. No sin in that. No reason to try to embarrass.
By bringing this thread to the site there isn't an intent to embarrass anyone. Being vocal about some things that upset you are what game threads are meant for ... it's a place to discuss, and vent.

That said, if there are Bama fans who have been misinformed, or they are just looking at things through the eyes of what they hear and read, don't you think it's a good thing to say, "hang on a second ... perception isn't reality?"

I will
China in to say that many of the rants during the game that were focused on our specials teams, were on point for the game. I posted #firebobbywilliams a couple of times. We are a top team in most facets of the game. Specials teams we are not. It's hard to win championships with a weak spot like this.

A punt return TD, a blocked punt, we fumble a punt and lose it. That added to being 98th in the country in field goal kicking is hard to swallow. And the struggles aren't that unique to this seaso (mainly FG struggles and fumbling struggles). IT could come back to bite us in a game and it has (2011 LSU for example). It is hard for me to understand why we continie to struggle here. It's not a problem the majority of other teams struggle with. I gets it will remain our "thorn in the flesh". Hopefully our D and Offense will play at high enough levels each week that it doesn't cost us a game.

But the 3 bad mosques on punt units was not fun to watch. Kinda reminded of Arky game last year when we fumbled 4 punts/KOs

A punt return TD, a blocked punt, we fumble a punt and lose it.
The blocked punt I'll grant as a breakdown though Williams isn't the OL coach.

Does Williams teach ball security to DB's?

Scott out-kicked coverage and that's on Williams?

There are nine coaches who coach special teams. One carries a title which means nothing in today's game.

If you really want to get critical of special teams, watch closely on the fumbled punt. Hootie Jones tries to block the man off of Cyrus. Hootie's left shoulder really provides the force to knock the ball loose and thus the fumble. Should we fire Bobby Williams because Hootie was trying to block a man? Coaches yank players off a team for loafing or lack of effort all of the time. Should Hootie be pulled because he blocked the guy or because he allowed a guy with a 7'6" wingspan to block the punt? Nine coaches, one title guys!!!

I will say this........I have not been a Cristobal fan for several years now, but the first half the O-line looked good. I was pleased with how things were going. After Kelly went out, it was obvious that the second string center was in. It was truly trial by fire, but I was pleased overall with how we ran the ball in the first half.

Having said that, It would not hurt my feelings at all if Cristobal finds another job at the end of the year.

As far as the secondary, I think we are seeing them grow up right before I very eyes. I think this game gave us more interceptions than we had all of last year............Yes the front 7 has something to do with that, but improvement is improvement.

That's the thing, OP. The judgment on the secondary isn't based on one game, or one play.

@rueben touches on this a bit here ...

In the thread @planomateo started about rushing yards by A&M QB's there's a post that cites the QBR ratings for the last four opponents the Tide has faced (post Ole-Miss.) The rating was less than five. Five, on a scale from 1 to 100.

Last week, prior to the game, it was pointed out that the pass defense efficiency was leading the SEC and in the top 25% of the NCAA rankings. This week, still leading the SEC (by a pretty wide margin) and ranked in the top 10 of the NCAA standings. That isn't a result of one game, or one play.

Depth. More experience. Coaching. And, a couple of really good ones in this past class.

All four of these have been pointed to throughout the off-season. We're beginning to see the fruition of all those points this season. Hearing and reading so many critical comments seem to have made those points moot: to a lot.

I looked up Allen. His rating for the Bama game was 98.5 with ratings ABOVE 100 in all other games. Link: Kyle Allen

The Bama defense is good, but less than 5? I was incredulous.

This team is improving... That to me is the biggest indicator of success.

However, this is the first time UA under CNS has been so penalized. If there is anything I am concerned about is this one thing now...

Just not his MO.
Maybe it's Mario's MO. Seems if he cut the OL jumping off sides calls, we'd be below avg. on penalties.

I just don't see the same O-line out there that I saw from 08-12 with
Misevaluation plays a part...LARGE part. But, that's not all on Mario.

Take 2012 as example. Two OL recruits and the on that panned out did so as a Tight End.

2011 had Douglas and Luatua ... Kelly and Cyrus panned out.

As a staff the team was put in this position. Recruiting six OL in two years where two came through is what the story breaks down to ...

A situation recognized and addressed in '13 - '15.

BTW, look at that 12 class ... none Sunseri was responsible for Cyrus and Ryan. McElwain on Luatua...

Although, more than one coach signed off on these guys before it got to Saban ... see Steele as the last "stop gap" before Saban.

No, but it certainly plays into the (overall) trend, and shows which way this team is heading.

I agree that they are improving. But it wasn't too long ago (Ole Miss game) when fans were going ballistic on the passing defense. aTm couldn't run the ball so the defense knew they were going to pass. That makes pass defense a little bit easier.

Back
Top Bottom