| FTBL If Bama Wins Out Do They Make The Playoffs

I've avoided this thread ... been reading though.

This is not right. If there are undefeated conference champs like there are today, the Tide is a NY6 team. There's a good chance a W over UGA in the SECCG doesn't bump them out of the top four, leaving Bama out.

How can that be possible when they just spoke about the head to head? We'll likely be #8 when we play Georgia, so if they lose to #8 and our lone loss is to #7, how could Georgia not get bumped in favor of the team that beat them that is also a Conference Champion with technically a better loss?

IMO, Michigan and Ohio State are both in no matter what. Florida State probably wins out they're in. If Bama wins out and beats Georgia in SEC championship game Georgia still in. I believe this committee will do anything and everything to keep Bama out of the playoffs even if they are deserving.

It's possible, because they "speak" of different criteria weekly. Yearly.
That would be hard to justify as we’d have very similar records with 4 common opponents and head to head. Not saying they wouldn’t, but think it would be more likely both uGA and UA would be left out.

Which as a side note, I would expect to happen if we beat uGA. I don’t see us jumping UT, Wash and Oregon, nor a 1 loss Mich or Ohio State.

We’d need some serious help, and I don’t see that help being realistic at this point, but crazier things have happened.

Last edited:
IMO, Michigan and Ohio State are both in no matter what. Florida State probably wins out they're in. If Bama wins out and beats Georgia in SEC championship game Georgia still in. I believe this committee will do anything and everything to keep Bama out of the playoffs even if they are deserving.
In your scenario, you’d need something to happen to Texas, Oregon and Washington.

I felt Bama could have been given a shot last year. I felt they certainly were a better team than at least 1, maybe 2 of the other teams in the Playoffs that weren't as good as Bama when they played a decent game (not like the two worst games I've ever seen Bama present to us). I don't know that Bama is the number 1 team this year, and if they play to their potential, I'm positive that Tide will give any of them a Tsunami that they can't manhandle.

ROLL TIDE! MTAQ!

The thing is about the current rankings is they aren’t taking into account Conference Championships - because they haven’t happened.

If we become a 1-loss SEC champion, we jump UGA. Conference Championship, head to head, SOS…there really wouldn’t be any major metrics that they would have the edge in.

I still believe OSU/Michigan will take care of one of those teams. As will Oregon/Washington.

Texas and FSU are the wildcards that could potentially keep us out - if they both win Conference Ships.

Bama just needs to take care of business and not have an ugly win especially in the next two games. Having dominate performances would go a loooong way in my view. A one loss SEC Champ would be hard to leave out especially if they dominate in the next three games. Bama may be left out but the committee spokeman will have to do some kind of a dance and sales pitch to justify it.

Last edited:
Bama just needs to take care of business and not have an ugly win especially in the next two games. Having dominate performances would go a loooong way in my view. A one loss SEC Champ would be hard to leave out especially if they are dominate in the next three games. IThe may be left out but the committee spokeman will have to do some kind of a dance and sales pitch to justify it.
I'd buy an Iowa state and Oregon State jersey if they were able to both pull off a win Saturday. I actually think Oregon State will win Saturday, Iowa state however, probably not. They have been getting better the last couple of weeks, and play the game at home.... which is known to have it's own "voodoo" when they play a big game there. Like you said, just take care of business. But we need some help coming up.

Bama just needs to take care of business and not have an ugly win especially in the next two games. Having dominate performances would go a loooong way in my view. A one loss SEC Champ would be hard to leave out especially if they are dominate in the next three games. IThe may be left out but the committee spokeman will have to do some kind of a dance and sales pitch to justify it.
I'll say this, if we were to blow out Georgia, I think we get in over a 1-loss Oregon/Washington. Our resume would be better, plus there's the "eye test", I would hope the committee would see that and know that Oregon/Washington isn't on the level Alabama would be if they pulled that off. I feel that way now as well.

Back
Top Bottom