| FTBL How many wins will ALABAMA have this season?

I too like Simpson. But IMO, our title hopes this season require a Heisman type QB, not merely a capable backup. We need Milroe’s unique dynamism to compensate for a lack of depth at WR and potentially a leaky secondary.
Things not heard in the Mal Moore Athletic Complex.
I just want us, whenever our RBs can’t find running lanes, to lean on short passes to the RBs and TEs rather than asking Milroe to run too often for short gains or to throw up too many 50/50 balls to RW. I want more judicious use of Milroe’s legs and Williams’ heroics. Hopefully by now, we can use Williams as much as a decoy as a real threat. I just don’t think his frame is quite ready for 16 or however many games of being our go-to target.
I want to say the story came out before Wisconsin. Don't hold me to the date but it was several weeks ago...

The staff had been making the comment that these haven't been 50/50 balls in practice; they've been 80/20 balls. That's how often RW is coming down with the reception. I didn't say anything here when I heard the story starting to circulate. It was an "Okay, cool" type reaction.

Here's part of my point. You can't look at some guys playing ball and group them in with other guys in the same position. There are times others are just a cut (pun intended) above the rest.

I know the offense isn't clicking yet. I know it's getting closer.

I want to say the story came out before Wisconsin. Don't hold me to the date but it was several weeks ago...

The staff had been making the comment that these haven't been 50/50 balls in practice; they've been 80/20 balls. That's how often RW is coming down with the reception. I didn't say anything here when I heard the story starting to circulate. It was an "Okay, cool" type reaction.

Here's part of my point. You can't look at some guys playing ball and group them in with other guys in the same position. There are times others are just a cut (pun intended) above the rest.

Be fun when it does.

These things were what I expected from Williams, so it was a little disheartening to hear in camp he was behind and not progressing and that was why he was running with the 2's and 3's. Starting to wonder if that was misinformation so folks wouldn't be talking about him or planning for him. Cats out of the bag now, but glad he made it to the starting roster. He was my guy in the last cycle, so I was extremely happy that DeBoer went back after him and pulled him. That simply sealed my confirmation of DeBoer as a coach for Alabama when he pulled that off.

These things were what I expected from Williams, so it was a little disheartening to hear in camp he was behind and not progressing and that was why he was running with the 2's and 3's. Starting to wonder if that was misinformation so folks wouldn't be talking about him or planning for him
Was that ever posted here? If so, by whom? I didn't say that. Brandon didn't that I recall. He's not cut that way.

The staff had been making the comment that these haven't been 50/50 balls in practice; they've been 80/20 balls.
Well that’s comforting to hear.
You can't look at some guys playing ball and group them in with other guys in the same position. There are times others are just a cut (pun intended) above the rest.
I’ve never doubted that he’s special. In fact it’s because he’s so special that I’m so concerned about him staying healthy. He’s still only a skinny, 170ish pound, 17 year old. I’ll readily admit I’m comfortable throwing to him on the outside when he’s battling a single defender of comparable size. But when he crosses the middle or lengthens a play long enough for additional pursuit to arrive???? For example, I cringed when he got tackled after that one juggling catch. If you noticed, after eluding multiple DBs for as long as he could, he then came to a stop, and that’s when a trailing large-bodied LB slammed into him. The only thing that helped him was being braced by a defender on the opposite side. Otherwise that LB would have taken his head off. Watch that play again. We’re talking a skinny HS senior enduring 16-game Div 1 season, against NFL draftees a few months from now.

Last edited:
Well that’s comforting to hear.

I’ve never doubted that he’s special. In fact it’s because he’s so special that I’m so concerned about him staying healthy. He’s still only a skinny, 170ish pound, 17 year old. I’ll readily admit I’m comfortable throwing to him on the outside when he’s battling a single defender of comparable size. But when he crosses the middle or lengthens a play long enough for additional pursuit to arrive???? For example, I cringed when he got tackled after that one juggling catch. If you noticed, after eluding multiple DBs for as long as he could, he then came to a stop, and that’s when a trailing large-bodied LB slammed into him. The only thing that helped him was being braced by a defender on the opposite side. Otherwise that LB would have taken his head off. Watch that play again. We’re talking a skinny HS senior enduring 16-game Div 1 season, against NFL draftees a few months from now.
This goes along with something I said to Brandon earlier today. He has an Alexander thing. Another example of that his how he avoids that much direct contact.

I do get what you are saying here. I also still think he's just one of the first pieces of eye candy. In pre-snap motion he's going to move at least two guys and catch the eyes of the other seven, or eight.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I'm just basing what I'm seeing with what I saw at Washington and his other stops.

I want to see vanilla Saturday. Not just vanilla, but vanilla with no sugar. No flavor. 3/1 run versus pass ratio.

Was that ever posted here? If so, by whom? I didn't say that. Brandon didn't that I recall. He's not cut that way.

Definitely wasn't around these parts... Examples...

July 31st, 1st day of camp...
Incoming freshman Ryan Williams will make an impact as well, sooner rather than later

Then on August 5th...
Early reviews on Ryan WIlliams have been really positive. Obviously, the comparisons to DeVonta Smith popped up early in his recruitment, and for good reason. Build wise and ability wise, things are on par. Smith had that special strand of DNA where he wasn't going to be outworked and he played bigger, stronger, faster, and more technically sound because of it. He was also tough as hell. While it's early, Williams shows some of those same traits but he might be slightly more naturally gifted. He's impressed thus far with both his play and his attitude. Keep in mind, age wise, he should be getting ready for his Sr. year at Saraland right now, not running with the 1's in Tuscaloosa. [On a side note: it will be interesting to see who has the better CFB career/who gets drafted higher in 3 years... Ryan Williams or auburn's Cam Coleman]

August 10th, after scrimmage #1...
As for the scrimmage, told Milroe and Simpson both did some good things... still getting more comfortable with the offense. Justice Haynes had a good day. Ryan Williams fit in very well. TE's utilized and impactful.

Back
Top Bottom